Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 12th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2,626Posts
    • 170Thanks
    loulou41
    Shopping around for wills
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    Shopping around for wills 12th Sep 17 at 8:54 PM
    I never expect to be such a difference between solicitors to create mirror wills. First solicitor quoted £840 including vat and second solicitor £390. Second solicitor is cheaper as have used him for house sale and will be using their will and probate dept. I did not expect to have to shop around for wills.
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Sep 17, 1:54 AM
    • 37,823 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:54 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:54 AM
    I did not expect to have to shop around for wills.
    Originally posted by loulou41
    Not sure why not - it's a service like many others. You shop around for car insurance / maintenance / painting and decorating, and in each case you're likely to have an idea of what you want to end up with! Yet the costs will vary, and so will the service provided.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Sep 17, 3:33 AM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 2,640 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:33 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:33 AM
    Even so £390 is on the high side but £840 is extortionate unless this includes POSs that you can do yourself. Further shopping around needed but avoid the temptation to use a will writer.
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 13th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    loulou41
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    Even so £390 is on the high side but £840 is extortionate unless this includes POSs that you can do yourself. Further shopping around needed but avoid the temptation to use a will writer.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    £390 seems reasonable and a price I am quite happy to pay but will the service be as good. Is it true that you get what you pay for? They have offices in two towns and are reknown for competitive fixed prices e.g they will witness a signature for a fiver whereas most solicitors will not do it and a notary is asking £115 just to witness. Most solicitors have not bothered to reply to my query. Will writer is asking as much as £300,
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 13th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 4,980 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 2:32 PM
    £390 seems reasonable and a price I am quite happy to pay but will the service be as good. Is it true that you get what you pay for?
    It is if you spend too little. It isn't if you spend too much.

The essential job of a solicitor is a) to discuss what you want to achieve with your Wills and outline the options available b) once you've decided on a), to ensure that the Wills are properly written, signed and witnessed. I would expect a solicitor charging £390 to be perfectly capable of both.

Will writers cannot be relied upon to do either regardless of what they charge.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 13th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    Be wary of solicitors who charge very little and make the wording of the will almost impossible for a layman to interpret. This happened to a relative of mine, the deceased had paid £95 for something written in olde English. The executors were bewildered by it, and the solicitor offered to 'help' interpret it for a considerable sum. The solicitor earned about £5,000 out of it in the end!
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 13th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    loulou41
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    I will need to make sure I can understand what it is written. I have two friends who paid over £1000 for their wills incorporating life interest trusts. They let me read their wills one I could understand and the other one did not have any clue I asked my friend if he understands the jarhon he told me no. I think he paid £1200+ for the property trust wills for 4 people. I do have any idea what it should say,
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 2,640 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    I will need to make sure I can understand what it is written. I have two friends who paid over £1000 for their wills incorporating life interest trusts. They let me read their wills one I could understand and the other one did not have any clue I asked my friend if he understands the jarhon he told me no. I think he paid £1200+ for the property trust wills for 4 people. I do have any idea what it should say,
    That would require much more work than an straightforward will and the fee would reflect that.
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 20th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    loulou41
    • 20th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 20th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    Got another quote from another solicitor for the elderly. She is head of probate and wills very good credentials and the quote is £400+ vat and £50 for severing joint tenancy. There is promotion for existing customers at 20%. Will it be cheeky to ask for this promotion I could suggest severing the joint tenancy first so that I could be considered as an existing customer and then get her to drawn will trust. Her office will also keep the wills for safe keeping. I am tempted to go with her.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 20th Sep 17, 8:39 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 2,640 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Got another quote from another solicitor for the elderly. She is head of probate and wills very good credentials and the quote is £400+ vat and £50 for severing joint tenancy. There is promotion for existing customers at 20%. Will it be cheeky to ask for this promotion I could suggest severing the joint tenancy first so that I could be considered as an existing customer and then get her to drawn will trust. Her office will also keep the wills for safe keeping. I am tempted to go with her.
    Far too much!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 20th Sep 17, 8:48 PM
    • 28,510 Posts
    • 72,639 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Got another quote from another solicitor for the elderly. She is head of probate and wills very good credentials and the quote is £400+ vat and £50 for severing joint tenancy.
    Which you can do yourself for free!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 20th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 28,510 Posts
    • 72,639 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Will writer is asking as much as £300,
    That's likely to just be a starting price.

Will writers are notorious for finding 'essential' things that add to the cost as you get further into the process.
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 20th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    loulou41
    Which you can do yourself for free!
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    I understand it is just filling a form and send to registry office and it is quite simple to fill. Do you know whether you get any confirmation from land registry once you have sent the form? Paying £50 is for my piece of mind. Doubt whether I will get any cheaper.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 20th Sep 17, 11:11 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    FreeBear
    I returned to my solicitor twice to ask for various sections to be rewritten - If I couldn't understand it, how could I expect my executors to. Clarity without being couched in legaleze & jargon is essential in my opinion.

The rewrites didn't cost any extra and it cost me £180 inc VAT - For that, they store the will free of charge (something a will writer normally charges an annual fee for).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 21st Sep 17, 9:40 AM
    • 28,510 Posts
    • 72,639 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I understand it is just filling a form and send to registry office and it is quite simple to fill. Do you know whether you get any confirmation from land registry once you have sent the form? Paying £50 is for my piece of mind. Doubt whether I will get any cheaper.
    Have you read these?

www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership/change-from-joint-tenants-to-tenants-in-common
    www.gov.uk/government/publications/enter-a-restriction-registration-rx1

Your £50 won't make the severance 'more legal' - it's to pay the solicitor for filling in the forms.
    • loulou41
    • By loulou41 21st Sep 17, 12:27 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    loulou41
    Have you read these?

www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership/change-from-joint-tenants-to-tenants-in-common
    www.gov.uk/government/publications/enter-a-restriction-registration-rx1

Your £50 won't make the severance 'more legal' - it's to pay the solicitor for filling in the forms.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Yes I have I need to fill and send sev form and send trust deed by trust deed I do not what it is. For what I understand I do not have to give notice of severance if both parties agree but when my friends did theirs they served notice of severance to each other as advised by the solicitor. No wiser except pay the £50. If I do go to diy route I guess I need to do the severance first and the will trust.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 21st Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 2,640 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Yes I have I need to fill and send sev form and send trust deed by trust deed I do not what it is. For what I understand I do not have to give notice of severance if both parties agree but when my friends did theirs they served notice of severance to each other as advised by the solicitor. No wiser except pay the £50. If I do go to diy route I guess I need to do the severance first and the will trust.
    With respect you may be out of your depth. Given the potentially catastrophic consequences if you get it wrong £50 is dirt cheap. Why do you need a will trust? Many are both expensive and ineffectual.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 22nd Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 6,026 Posts
    • 7,775 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Many solicitors offer fixed fees for straightforward wills. For many solicitors this fixed amount will be lower than the cost would be if you were paying at their normal hourly rate. The actual figures will vary from firm to firm.

If you want to have more complex arrangements made, or if you are looking for advice about IHT planning or setting up trusts then I would normally expect the charges to be based on an hourly rate, although the solicitor should be able to give you an estimate of costs .

I would expect somewhere in the region of £175-£250 for a will, with mirror wills being a bit less than double that, so the £375 - £400 figures you've been quoted sound reasonable to me. Severing the joint tenancy is not complex and yes, the LR will confirm receipt, but make sure that you do understand the pros and cons of doing it before you decide.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 22nd Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 2,640 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Wills are a competitive market.halfbthose amounts would be realistic for a simplevwill unless you are in an expensive area..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

4,823Users online

Martin's Twitter