Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yellowduck123
    • By yellowduck123 12th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 2Thanks
    yellowduck123
    63 years of age looking too move in with son + partner
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:39 PM
    63 years of age looking too move in with son + partner 12th Sep 17 at 7:39 PM
    Hi

I currently reside myself,registered disabled,63 years old,looking to move in with her son + partner who both work full time.

Would this affect my money in any way?

Currently receive:

DLA: High Rate Care + High Rate mobility.
    ESA:218/fortnight
    Works Pension: 350/month
Page 1
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 13th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 29,667 Posts
    • 55,478 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    I don't think it would affect any of those, certainly not the DLA or the Pension.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • Tomsdottir
    • By Tomsdottir 15th Sep 17, 12:52 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Tomsdottir
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:52 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 12:52 AM
    Hallo there

It looks as though your ESA currently includes what's called the "severe disability premium". This is an amount which is payable to someone who is severely disabled and who lives alone, and for whom no-one claims carer's allowance. Once you move in with your son and his partner, you no longer live alone, and so you would no longer qualify for the severe disability premium. This could mean a drop of up to £62 a week in your ESA - depending on whether your ESA is income related ESA or contributory ESA or both. A local CAB or welfare rights organisation, or Age Concern helpline could give you confidential information on your precise situation. Of course, to some extent, this loss is offset by lower living costs when you share with others.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 15th Sep 17, 7:26 AM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:26 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 7:26 AM
    Hallo there

It looks as though your ESA currently includes what's called the "severe disability premium". This is an amount which is payable to someone who is severely disabled and who lives alone, and for whom no-one claims carer's allowance. Once you move in with your son and his partner, you no longer live alone, and so you would no longer qualify for the severe disability premium. This could mean a drop of up to £62 a week in your ESA - depending on whether your ESA is income related ESA or contributory ESA or both. A local CAB or welfare rights organisation, or Age Concern helpline could give you confidential information on your precise situation. Of course, to some extent, this loss is offset by lower living costs when you share with others.
    Originally posted by Tomsdottir
    Incorrect. With an ESA amount of £218 every 2 weeks this rate would not include the SDP. Moving in with the persons son and daugher-in-law would not affect the benefits stated above that the OP is claiming.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 15th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 10,282 Posts
    • 18,892 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    £218 a fortnight looks like Contributory based ESA (I am on the same and get that amount) and so would not be affected.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • butterflies56
    • By butterflies56 17th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    butterflies56
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 8:54 PM
    Agree with Poppy and Mrs Ryan I receive this amount which is contribution based ESA and does not include SDP. None of these benefits will be affected if you move in with your family.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 8,494 Posts
    • 5,032 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 18th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    • 18th Sep 17, 4:29 PM
    Agree with Poppy and Mrs Ryan I receive this amount which is contribution based ESA and does not include SDP. None of these benefits will be affected if you move in with your family.
    Originally posted by butterflies56

But looking to the future, after the one year on contribution based ESA , will income based not kick in and be affected by the pension ? Also, State Pension age isn't far away, at which stage ESA will end and income change again.
    • fedupfreddie
    • By fedupfreddie 19th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    fedupfreddie
    • 19th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    • 19th Sep 17, 1:43 PM
    I believe support group contribution based does not have an end date.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 19th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 16,992 Posts
    • 25,986 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 19th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    • 19th Sep 17, 1:47 PM
    I believe support group contribution based does not have an end date.
    Originally posted by fedupfreddie
    You are correct. There isn't a one year limit in the support group.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,563Posts Today

7,491Users online

Martin's Twitter