Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ravello23
    • By ravello23 12th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ravello23
    Car insurance threatening legal action incorrectly
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    Car insurance threatening legal action incorrectly 12th Sep 17 at 7:04 PM
    Looking for some advice or to see if anyone has had a similar experience 😔
    Back in may of this year a car reversed out of a parking space in the gym car park into the side of me as I was passing. We exchanged details and later that day I had a call from his insurer saying that he had admitted liability and that they (LV) would deal with everything and all I needed to do wa to tell my insurance company for information purposes only. So fast forward, everything was dealt with through LV and I had a courtesy car etc. That was that or so I thought. I've come home today to a letter from a solicitor instructed by LV threatening to take me to court as I haven't paid 50% of the repairs as liability was settled 50/50. This is the first I've heard about any of it since my car was repaired in June. I called the solicitor who couldn't comment until they'd spoken to LV so I called LV directly. They also couldn't comment until the specific case handler was back in work... I'm confused!! And really really annoyed that they haven't thought to contact me before just threatening legal action!! To my knowledge the 3rd party didn't dispute liability so why am I liable for nearly a thousand pounds!!!?? Has anyone encountered anything similar? I'd be so grateful for any advice!! Thanks in advance 👍
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 14,126 Posts
    • 14,811 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:08 PM
    Wait until they get back to you, rather than entertaining guesses.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 12th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:28 PM
    Your insurer has settled 50/50 as the 3rd party's insurer have thought that their customer may not be entirely liable, and there isn't enough evidence to support liability either way. Your insurer has agreed with this, hence the 50/50.

Pass the letter unanswered to your insurer to deal. You will not be taken to court, almost certainly, and your insurer will indemnify the claim on your behalf. That's what insurance is for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,603Posts Today

9,975Users online

Martin's Twitter