Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikee.
    • By mikee. 12th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mikee.
    Help advice with ESA
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    Help advice with ESA 12th Sep 17 at 7:03 PM
    Forgive me for being a first time poster but I really need help with filling out my ESA50 form and I only have until the 15th of this month to return it.

I've applied for ESA in the past on 3 occasion's and all time's failed to attend the capability assessment. The first time I applied was towards the end of 2015 and I was paid the mandatory amount for 13 weeks obviously those payments were stopped after failure to attend etc.

The second time I applied was July of 2016.

I didn't have much faith in actually getting any help and soon enough I opted to switch to JSA and perhaps have not so many requirement's on my agreement to receive some benefit. However once I went through signing on and signing my agreement it was pretty much no different and they had hardly taken my health in to consideration at all (I guess because of how I am I just agreed and wanted it to be over and done with - couldn't get my position across as much as I would of liked either)

It wasn't long until after I started working again that as per usual I fell off the face of the earth again and stopped turning up for work as happened many time's before.

I decided I should try and get some kind of benefit again so it was back through the rigmarole only to be played by advisors all over again. I first tried signing on only to be told by the advisor at my initial appointment who remembered me from the previous time that "she remembered me and how I kind of just sort of disappeared" she said she could tell that "I was obviously not fit for work" and that I should seek ESA.

I agreed and decided to cancel the claim knowing that I will most likely just fall through the crack's again and they don't have to pay me and it's another win for them. However I did call to make a new claim for ESA when I returned home which I don't think I followed up on either. Resulting in another failure to attend, so I am trying for which If I'm correct will actually be the fourth time If I can return my ESA50 by the 15th.

My medical evidence back's up the claim I am making so it's not just arbitrary reason's which have caused me to be the way I am today however I think I've managed to put my self in to catch 22 situation's messing up previous claim's and it's just helpless in fact they'll be used to sting me even more so this time.
    Last edited by mikee.; 16-09-2017 at 5:22 PM. Reason: Make easier to read, Removed some personally related information
Page 2
    • epitome
    • By epitome 15th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2,974 Posts
    • 1,815 Thanks
    epitome
    Ok.

So what that means is, if you were to contact the ESA phone line on or after 06/11/2017 (but not before) to say that you want to make a new claim and that you want it backdated to 06/08/2017 as long as you have sick notes they WILL pay you from the date of your sick notes. It is best if you had continuous sick notes from 06/08/2017 because then you would be given 3 months arrears payment. Any sick notes already sent to the DWP for your existing claim will still be ok, you would not need to send them again .... TO DO THIS, HOWEVER, i.e. to make a claim in November 6th that will pay you, you would first need to close the existing claim that you have got now which is from 02/05/17.

So you have to weigh up your options ....

You can continue on your existing claim, attend the WCA, if you miss it again you will be penalised for another 6 months (unless you can show new or worsened) But if you attend, a report will be written, a DWP decision will be made, you will either pass or fail,
    If you fail, you can appeal...but you will not be paid on appeal.
    If you pass, they will pay you from 09/05/17

Or

2nd Option. You can close the existing claim that is not paying you before you get a WCA appointment..... then wait..... Then make a new claim on 06/11/2017 from 06/08/17, supply sicknotes.... and you will be paid for those sicknote periods.

Or

Your third option...is to stay on the existing claim & show evidence of a new or worsening condition again (letter from doctor or new condition on a sicknote) which is new or worsened since 05/05/2017...... A decision will be made, if they agree it is new or worsened, they will pay you on the existing claim as long as you continue to get sicknotes.

Hope this Helps, now you know what options you have.
    Last edited by epitome; 17-09-2017 at 8:46 PM.
    • mikee.
    • By mikee. 17th Sep 17, 8:20 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mikee.
    Tried to pm you will try again later and will reply in the thread soon

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,573Posts Today

9,445Users online

Martin's Twitter