Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rfly1
    • By rfly1 12th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rfly1
    Faulty car advice
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    Faulty car advice 12th Sep 17 at 7:03 PM
    Hi guys I need some advice, I purchased a car and just picked it up yesterday morning and today it has developed a fault.. A warning light came on saying the oil pressure is too low and the car should not be driven as it could cause engine damage. Luckily the car garage is only 2 minutes away from my house so went there and explained the problem.

The garage checked it and didn't have a clue what was wrong with it so now they have the car at the garage and will send it to a different place to get it looked at.

My question is, can I reject the car as I have only had it for day and problems have started and by the warning message it sounds quite serious! The car was serviced and had oil in it so I don't know what the problem could be.
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 12th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 6,833 Posts
    • 5,864 Thanks
    bris
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:41 PM
    Yes, you can reject it for a full refund within the first 30 days.

As long as you haven't given them the chance to fix it, just tell them to refund you.
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 13th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 2,845 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    Not necessarily - It depends on the price and age of the car.
    For example, a 2 year old £10k car would have a higher expectation than a £500 bangeromics contender..
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 9,448 Posts
    • 10,614 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    Not necessarily - It depends on the price and age of the car.
    For example, a 2 year old £10k car would have a higher expectation than a £500 bangeromics contender..
    Originally posted by nomoneytoday
    There is nothing in the Consumer rights act that states or implies this.
    The short term right of rejection applies if goods become faulty in the first 30 days from purchase irrespective of the price or age of the item.
    The only exception to this short term right of rejection is goods that:
    4) are of a kind that can reasonably be expected to perish after a shorter period, the time limit for exercising the short-term right to reject in relation to those goods is the end of that shorter period (but without affecting the time limit in relation to goods that are not of that kind).
    And I don't think that anyone would argue that a car that must legally be roadworthy when sold could fall into this category.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 13th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 11,279 Posts
    • 8,496 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:40 PM
    There is nothing in the Consumer rights act that states or implies this.
    The short term right of rejection applies if goods become faulty in the first 30 days from purchase irrespective of the price or age of the item.
    The only exception to this short term right of rejection is goods that:

And I don't think that anyone would argue that a car that must legally be roadworthy when sold could fall into this category.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    I dont think thats quite true and I think that poster perhaps meant it slightly different from how you've taken it.

I think they were just saying that price, age etc are factors in determining whether something is of satisfactory quality or not.

And obviously in this regard, price & age may indeed affect whether you have the right to reject or not.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 13th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    it might be a loose wire on the oil pressure switch or a faulty oil pressure switch,once located and fixed the car will be ok
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • macman
    • By macman 14th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    • 41,290 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    OP, give us some basic context please. Make and model, year, mileage and price paid?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • rfly1
    • By rfly1 21st Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rfly1
    • 21st Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    • 21st Sep 17, 9:18 PM
    Sorry for not keeping the thread updated.

Car is 6 years old with 50,000 miles and cost me £7.5k. The garage took it back to repair it and apparently it was a faulty oil pressure switch which they replaced. So got the car back 3 days ago and then the exact same problem happened today.

So now will be going back to the garage tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated as to what I can do about this as I have a feeling the car has a fault which the dealer is avoiding and is just trying to buy time so the 30days is up.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 22nd Sep 17, 12:08 AM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 2,877 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 22nd Sep 17, 12:08 AM
    • 22nd Sep 17, 12:08 AM
    You've not answered half the questions asked in this thread - help us to help you
    • rfly1
    • By rfly1 22nd Sep 17, 12:30 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rfly1
    What Have I no answered?
    • 2004arron
    • By 2004arron 22nd Sep 17, 12:38 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    2004arron
    How was the car paid for?
    • rfly1
    • By rfly1 22nd Sep 17, 12:46 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rfly1
    As I’ve stated in the above post of mines, £7500
    • rfly1
    • By rfly1 22nd Sep 17, 12:47 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rfly1
    Sorry misread that thought you asked how much I paid , it was paid by debit card and cash.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 22nd Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    • 10,015 Posts
    • 7,001 Thanks
    neilmcl
    They've had their one chance to rectify the fault, although strictly speaking you didn't need to give them that, so go ahead and reject the car if that's what you want. The seller can't run down the clock so to speak as your short-term right to reject is paused whilst a solution is being sought.
    • Agricolae
    • By Agricolae 23rd Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Agricolae
    Agreed, you can reject the car. Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin