Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Getting a National Insurance Number under 16 (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Getting a National Insurance Number under 16
Closed Thread
Views: 14,826
# 1
sundin13
Old 08-10-2007, 11:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Getting a National Insurance Number under 16

Hi,
DS1 is looking for a Christmas job, and some of the shops have told him/me that they will employ 15yr olds so long as they have a National Insurance number. Is there any way we can speed up the process or is it just a matter of wait,:confused: and it'll show up just before his 16th?

S13
# 2
honeypop
Old 09-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

He will automatically receive it just before his 16th birthday. Unfortunately you can't speed up the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to honeypop For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
fengirl
Old 11-10-2007, 8:32 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to fengirl

A National Insurance number would be no good to him aged under 16 as he is not liable to NIC at that age. The employer is putting unreasonable barriers up.
The Following User Says Thank You to fengirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Savvy_Sue
Old 11-10-2007, 1:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'm not so sure ... if you DON'T have a NI no. then an employer has to get one for you, so maybe they are asking for one before you start to avoid that hassle. Not disputing that you're NOT liable to pay NICs before you're 16, however!
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy_Sue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
fengirl
Old 11-10-2007, 1:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to fengirl

I dispute the fact that the employer has to have an NINO. All they need to do is to have proof that you are allowed to work in the UK and there are other ways of proving this.
The Following User Says Thank You to fengirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
CIS
Old 11-10-2007, 5:40 PM

You become liable for NI from the 6th April prior to your 16th birthday
The Following User Says Thank You to CIS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Savvy_Sue
Old 11-10-2007, 5:50 PM

Well, I can't in a quick trawl of the HMRC site find a link which says what an employer should do if an employee has no NINO, BUT I did find this which says

"Before you do any work - employed or self-employed - you must have a National Insurance number."

And it goes on to explain how to obtain one: I would have thought it was worth the OP (or her son) phoning to ask if he could get one sooner, and whether an employer HAD to ask for one. It's aimed at students, which sounds relevant to me.

Because another thing to make clear is that a NINO does NOT confirm that you have the right to work in the UK! So why an employer would insist on that and not ALSO insist on proof that you are allowed to work in the UK is a mystery to me!

And I'm only saying that sometimes employers like things simple: they know what to do with a P45, and not what to do with a P46. They don't know what to do if the employee doesn't have a NINO, so they try to avoid that situation. Whether that's an 'unreasonable' barrier is not for me to say! Maybe employers don't really want 15 year olds!
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy_Sue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
stazi
Old 11-10-2007, 9:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As no state benefit claim is involved, JCP are not responsible for tracing/issuing a NINO in this case.
Responsibility rests with HMRC and the contact details are here-
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helplines/ni-registrations.htm
Liability to pay NIC only starts on the 16th birthday and not before, and at present ends at age 60(women)/65 (men).
The Following User Says Thank You to stazi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
gilerachick
Old 11-10-2007, 9:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Nino

As said above, all children have a NINO. I know this from when I worked in DLA. The employer has no need to ask for the NINO as 15 years olds do not pay contributions.
The Following User Says Thank You to gilerachick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
sundin13
Old 14-10-2007, 10:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for all your help everyone.....I'll take him along to the JCP over the half term to see what they say.

S13
# 11
merlinormartin
Old 14-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Hi
My 14 year old sister has been working weekends at a shoe store, she doesnt have a NI number. :confused: .. Pop into your local CAB and ask them?
"Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone, and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering"
# 12
stazi
Old 14-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sundin13
Please re read my post #9.
You don't need to go to JCP - its nothing to do with them. You need to contact HMRC.
# 13
sundin13
Old 15-10-2007, 7:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Sorry Stazi...brain not functioning correctly! I will give that helpline number a ring later on today. Thanks so much

S13
# 14
Homework
Old 16-10-2007, 10:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Children do have National Insurance numbers (for DLA purposes they are used) but are not issued until 3 months before the 16th birthday as far as I am aware.

I don't think Inland Revenue will issue the number early for a part time job where there is no National Insurance payable. I think the employer is following the rules of checking for a national insurance number to prevent an illegal worker getting a job and missing the fact that your child is 15.
# 15
Savvy_Sue
Old 16-10-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homework View Post
I think the employer is following the rules of checking for a national insurance number to prevent an illegal worker getting a job and missing the fact that your child is 15.
Except that, AFAIK, a NINO does NOT confirm your right to work in the UK. :confused:

It may simply be because they do not wish to employ youngsters more than 3 months before their 16th birthday.

# 16
ukdickie31
Old 16-10-2007, 11:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Have a look on the DTI website for specific rules on employing "young people"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/YoungPeo...work/DG_066272

There are legal limits to what you can work.

Closed Thread