Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • truewraith121
    • By truewraith121 12th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    truewraith121
    whats Average amount of driving lessons needed to learn an automatic?
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:35 PM
    whats Average amount of driving lessons needed to learn an automatic? 12th Sep 17 at 6:35 PM
    hi

just starting to learn to drive but going for automatic in the hope to learn quicker but wondered whats the estimate amount of lessons needed and how often do people take lessons because 2 lessons a week seams not enough. I know everyone is different but just trying to get as much info as i can.

thanks very much in advance
Page 2
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 16th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    JP1978
    My wife attempted lessons two or three times when she was young - she was a live in nanny and the employers paid for them but still couldnt get to grips with driving - maybe as, ast the time, she mentally didnt want to drive - in her personal life had no need or desire too.

Roll on to 4 years ago, kids growing up and really struggling to get work and manage the kids without driving (i work away from home) she then had the need to learn. I tried teaching her, or at least the initial steps in a manual car but she just couldnt do it, she just cant correlate the need to change up and down gears and know when to do so. Someone suggested learning in an auto and although it took a lot of lessons to get her confidence up, she did pass and passed 1st time too.

Shes been driving 3 years now, she as a VW DSG based small MPV type car and loves it, slightly higher up and good visibility. Just back from renting her an automatic car as her car needs a new gearbox, but thats another story!
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 16th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 3,103 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    I've been driving for over 50 years and have had an auto for the last 14 of them.

I was a late convert to auto boxes having been put off by the old 3-speed boxes on Fords and M-Benzes back in the 70s/80s.

But the latest auto-boxes are superb - especially the 8-speed ones.

They make a car faster and more economical than the equivalent manual model.

Of course the high end marques such as Porsche and Ferrari gave up on manuals some time ago.

It's very unlikely that I'll ever buy another manual-box car again.

I have much more control over when it actually changes gear (and faster gear changes) just by altering the pressure on the accelerator.

Initially I said earlier in this thread that the OP wouldn't learn to drive any quicker with an auto box than a manual - but after a rethink and reading the later posts I have changed my mind.

So I now say to the OP - 'Go for it!'
    • colin79666
    • By colin79666 18th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 1,301 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    colin79666
    Ten years ago I'd have said go for manual unless medically unable to drive one. Now given that the world will be going electric and all that seems to be auto I don't think manual will be as important in the future.

I took around 25 lessons in a manual with probably 10 hours private practice on-top. That was 1 lesson a week and I think learning to drive is something better not rushed. I passed first time and unlike some peers who did an intensive course and took 3+ attempts to pass, I did not go straight out and write off my first car! Learning takes time and although you can scrape through with enough knowledge of what to peddles press it takes time to build up experience - something that is needed to stay out of trouble.

The number of lessons needed depends per candidate and if you can get some practice in between going out with the instructor but don't rush it.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 18th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 5,993 Posts
    • 5,444 Thanks
    Herzlos
    That's much less of an issue these days, with a very wide variety of two-pedal cars in all sizes rapidly becoming the default.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I don't think all 2-pedal cars count as automatic though, there's a few clutchless manuals, flappy paddles etc.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 15,483 Posts
    • 13,800 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I don't think all 2-pedal cars count as automatic though, there's a few clutchless manuals, flappy paddles etc.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    The legal line is drawn at the presence or absence of a clutch pedal - semi-autos have been around for decades, with the concept of footless stirring well established.

The presence or absence of whatever degree of electrickery behind it all makes no difference.
    • Sprinkly
    • By Sprinkly 21st Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Sprinkly
    I drive automatic and it's just stop and go. Its mostly brake work but no stalling hurrah! It's learning about the traffic and roads that takes a while....although don't know what all the fuss was about!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter