Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 12th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TamaraC
    EE's mis selling
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    EE's mis selling 12th Sep 17 at 6:32 PM
    My husband was on an old orange deal on PAYG and wasn't getting a good deal. On friday I phoned EE on his behalf, and between me and the agent decided it would be better and cheaper for him to be on contract. I was promised a new sim by Monday and that there would be no disruption in service at all. I was happy as was my husband. However, today we still haven't received the new sim and the old sim is not working. This is my husbands business phone and heavily relies on it, I explained that it was promised there would be no disruption and the change would be seamless. After talking to EE's online chat, I was getting nowhere so it was escalated to a manager, who offered £30 as a good will gesture, I explained that rather than a good will gesture it was more of an insult as my husband is potentially losing over £100 a day in business, It was escalated again to Gary, resolution manager. Gary offered £50 good will, but again I explained that it was an insult, going by their calculations for the new sim, my husband is potentially losing £500. I was promised everything and they have delivered nothing, other than a pitiful apology and an insult. So, now we have a phone that doesn't work, no sim and losing business. I have requested a "deadlock" letter from them in order to get in touch with the communications Ombudsman, but other than that, does anyone have any advice please?
Page 2
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th Sep 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Wait a minute.

YOU took out a contract and then got them to transfer YOUR HUSBAND'S PAYG number to your new contract?

Did your husband know that you were grabbing his number ?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Sep 17, 7:35 PM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 5,492 Thanks
    pmduk
    Some networks manage this by sending out an inactive SIM, which you then activate once the cust has received it. It looks as though either EE or the agent didn't use this.
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 12th Sep 17, 7:54 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TamaraC
    And you have proof of this that would stand up in court?

If not, take the money.
    Originally posted by Guys Dad
    I have the transcripts from today that state i was given the wrong information
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 12th Sep 17, 7:55 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TamaraC
    Some networks manage this by sending out an inactive SIM, which you then activate once the cust has received it. It looks as though either EE or the agent didn't use this.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Doesn't look like it, they gabe no explanation for why it didnt happen that way
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Monthly charge has nothing to do with it. They guaranteed delivery and no loss of service
    Originally posted by TamaraC
    Are you claiming someone actually said the words 'we guarantee it will be there Monday'? Or did someone actually say 'it should be there Monday'?

I was told that because he is self employed and sole trader that the normal contract would be sufficient
    Who told you that? And sufficient for what exactly?
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 12th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TamaraC
    Wait a minute.

YOU took out a contract and then got them to transfer YOUR HUSBAND'S PAYG number to your new contract?

Did your husband know that you were grabbing his number ?
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Yes of course he knew, he was there when i was on the phone to them and spoke to them himself
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 12th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TamaraC
    Are you claiming someone actually said the words 'we guarantee it will be there Monday'? Or did someone actually say 'it should be there Monday'?

Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    The woman i spoke to on Friday told me, she stated that the contract offered was sufgicient as a business contract would cost him far more
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 12th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TamaraC

Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    The woman guarantedd there would be no loss of service as the sim would "definitely" be here on Monday
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Sep 17, 8:21 PM
    • 17,337 Posts
    • 11,519 Thanks
    molerat
    Nobody in a call centre can ever be 100% certain about delivery. Just as you can't be yourself when posting something . They'll have given you the best info to hand. If you needed a new SIM with the same number they can't have the same number on two active SIMs simultaneously.
    With our switch the contract SIM had a different number which showed on the phone but when I phoned the old number it rang the phone. It took a few hours for the phone to actually show the old number.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 12th Sep 17, 8:35 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    mac.d
    This has to be a wind-up. Why on earth would EE up their offer from £30 to £50 because a sim didn't turn up in the post. Who has ever had a PAYG sim stop working so suddenly when the new sim hasn't even turned up?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,867 Posts
    • 2,355 Thanks
    unforeseen
    The woman i spoke to on Friday told me, she stated that the contract offered was sufgicient as a business contract would cost him far more
    Apart from the fact that there would be no SLA etc. No compensation for consequential loss.

In fact as it is a standard consumer contract you have very little recourse for areas that a business would need cover.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    • 7,633 Posts
    • 5,492 Thanks
    pmduk
    OP; I suspect you will have to wait a while for a deadlock letter. I've rarely heard ofa network making a final decision in a disputed case this quickly.

In the meantime, identify the terms and conditions of the agreement that EE are in breach of. Most ADR schemes will only adjudicate complaints about breaches of those.
    Last edited by pmduk; 12-09-2017 at 9:23 PM.
    • victor2
    • By victor2 12th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4,709 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    victor2
    Yes they are but it could take another 3 -5 days in which time he is losing business and money
    Unfortunately, using a consumer targeted contract for a business has the risk that any resulting business losses are not recognised. Lots of people do it and get away with it. If it were a business contract you'd have a dedicated account manager and stronger support should things not work out.
    It's a gamble - you pays your money and takes your chance.
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 12th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TamaraC
    Strange that the PAYG was cut off. When we changed from Orange PAYG to EE contract nothing happened until we put the new SIM in the phone, that triggered the switch.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Well, they managed to !!!! this one up completely
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 12th Sep 17, 10:34 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TamaraC
    With our switch the contract SIM had a different number which showed on the phone but when I phoned the old number it rang the phone. It took a few hours for the phone to actually show the old number.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Sim doesn't actually work as they have taken old number off to apply it to the new sim
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 12th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TamaraC
    This has to be a wind-up. Why on earth would EE up their offer from £30 to £50 because a sim didn't turn up in the post. Who has ever had a PAYG sim stop working so suddenly when the new sim hasn't even turned up?
    Originally posted by mac.d
    Not a wind up, they confirmed today that the old sim wont work as the number has been transferred to the sim that hasn't turned up yet. further more, they have the phone call and icetranscripts that clearly state I was guaranteed there would be no loss of serv
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 12th Sep 17, 10:39 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TamaraC
    OP; I suspect you will have to wait a while for a deadlock letter. I've rarely heard ofa network making a final decision in a disputed case this quickly.

In the meantime, identify the terms and conditions of the agreement that EE are in breach of. Most ADR schemes will only adjudicate complaints about breaches of those.
    I shall get on the case tomorrow morning re terms and conditions etc. Thank you
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Sep 17, 11:24 PM
    • 6,697 Posts
    • 4,268 Thanks
    d123
    Monthly charge has nothing to do with it. They guaranteed delivery and no loss of service
    How can they guarantee that when it is sent via Royal Mail? even Special Delivery could fail...

I was told that because he is self employed and sole trader that the normal contract would be sufficient
    So no cover for business loss...

But it is the networks fault, they guaranteed there would be no loss of service. If they had a doubt about how long the sim would take i:e they knew there was a possibility that the sim would not definitely arrive by the stated date, then they should not have disconnected the old sim first. They were responsible for sending the sim, they made the promises and then deliver on any of it
    I bet they didn’t “guarantee” it to the level you think. “It’ll be there on Monday” isn’t a cast iron guarantee, you’ve got very little chance of CISAS adjudicating in your favour, £50 is well above the compensation you should actually be offered.
    ====
    • TamaraC
    • By TamaraC 13th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TamaraC
    She never said it was being sent by royal mail. When a company says there will definitely be no loss of service (and it was explained that it was a business phone) I expect just as they say. If they had loss of service for something, I'm sure they wouldn't be happy with a meagre offer either. In fact when I questioned Gary on that he confirmed that they would seek compensation. The only difference here is that they are a multi million pound company and my husband is a sole trader who makes pittance in comparison.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Sep 17, 9:49 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    She never said it was being sent by royal mail. When a company says there will definitely be no loss of service (and it was explained that it was a business phone) I expect just as they say. If they had loss of service for something, I'm sure they wouldn't be happy with a meagre offer either. In fact when I questioned Gary on that he confirmed that they would seek compensation. The only difference here is that they are a multi million pound company and my husband is a sole trader who makes pittance in comparison.
    How were you expecting it to arrive? By carrier pigeon?

and it was explained that it was a business phone
    On a standard consumer contract, how many times does that need to be said to you?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

754Posts Today

5,652Users online

Martin's Twitter