Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clobbah81
    • By Clobbah81 12th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Clobbah81
    P45 and HMRC panic at new job HELP!
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    P45 and HMRC panic at new job HELP! 12th Sep 17 at 6:10 PM
    Hi,

Have just started a new job. However I lied about my salary at the job interview and I have to know if I'll get found out.

However, there is a twist.

I said I earnt 28k + bonus instead of the 40k per anum I've actually earnt since April. I UNDERSOLD MY SALARY. I was feeling really stupid and nervous.

I am not too concerned about the P45 stating my total earnings since then as that just states accumulative earnings and I can pass the extra off as BONUS,

However, is there ANYWAY either online or through HMRC that my new employer can see the entire annual figure as it appears on my contract (i.e. 40k) that I was on in my last job? When I login to my personal tax account on HMRC I can see the total figure as it appears on my contract but also the total I had paid in that tax tear, I have to know if my new employer can logon and find out. The p45 on the other hand just notes the total I have been paid this tax year. I need to know if there is anyway HMRC will give my new employer the figure as it appears on my contract.

To reiterate, if it's just the total I've been paid for the five months since I got the pay rise I'll be okay. It's the black and white 40k figure that is going to get me booted out the door.

Please help; out of my mind with panic. I need to know if I should cut my losses and run.
Page 2
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 15th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    • 2,052 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Your contracted salary was £28K. They gave you £12K of bonuses that went beyond your contracted salary. This appears to be the truth. Why are you worrying? No company on earth would object to this.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Sep 17, 11:36 AM
    • 37,825 Posts
    • 34,216 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    I cannot be completely confident about this, but reasonably so ...
    1: does your employer (or anyone else for that matter) have access to detailed records that show your gross pay on a month by month basis? Or do they just get to see the total for each tax year
    Originally posted by Clobbah81
    Your employer has access to the total, and only the total for the CURRENT tax year, for any previous employment. (Obviously your current employer has access to everything there is to know about your current salary, when it's paid, what it's composed of etc.)

HMRC know - be worried if they DON'T know! - what you were paid when and what deductions were made for every single month since any employer you were with entered RTI.

Prior to RTI, detailed reporting of individual amounts was only done at the end of the year. The employer was required to make monthly (or quarterly if small) payments to cover PAYE and NI for all staff, but these were not broken down. Thus it was possible (but inadvisable) to underpay HMRC, as long as you could balance your books with them at the end of the year.

No-one else would legitimately have any of that information unless you supplied it, AFAIK.

2: who has access to your historical tax records kept online? (Is 2015)
    You, HMRC, anyone you've given them to (note I don't think you can allow online access to YOUR tax records to anyone else...), and any really skilled hacker with the time and inclination.

Can these also be accessed by your employer?
    Your current employer cannot access your tax records for previous employment. Unless you're working for that really skilled hacker with the time and inclination ...

Various organisations can require current and previous employers to give them information about your earnings: eg Council Tax, I believe Child Support and its replacement. And they'll ask you at the same time.

But it does seem like a non-issue - and if it worries you this much, consider telling the truth in future. Actually do that anyway ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • Clobbah81
    • By Clobbah81 15th Sep 17, 1:05 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Clobbah81
    Savvy_sue

Thank you so so so much for taking the time to write this detailed reply.

I
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,191Posts Today

6,785Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin