Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • makemesumdosh
    • By makemesumdosh 12th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    • 302Posts
    • 87Thanks
    makemesumdosh
    Loyalty
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:43 PM
    Loyalty 12th Sep 17 at 5:43 PM
    i'm due an upgrade with Vodafone so called them, i'm 2 months from the end of a 24 month contract and was told that as a loyal customer taking out a new contract it would be more expensive than a new customer.

if I waited until my contract expires I would be classed as a new customer.

I won't be taking out a new contract.

Do all networks treat customers like this
Page 1
    • victor2
    • By victor2 12th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 4,699 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    victor2
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    i'm due an upgrade with Vodafone so called them, i'm 2 months from the end of a 24 month contract and was told that as a loyal customer taking out a new contract it would be more expensive than a new customer.

Originally posted by makemesumdosh
    Not just mobile networks, insurance companies, breakdown companies, internet providers etc.
    Rewards for being a loyal customer are very much things of the past now. One of the penalties of it being so easy to shop around on the internet without much effort I suppose.
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Sep 17, 5:52 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    d123
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:52 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:52 PM

Loyalty is what your dog gives you, why would you expect that sort of relationship from any company that’s only wanting your cash to make a profit?
    ====
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 9,611 Posts
    • 3,928 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    Basically MSE is a Disloyalty site .
    Common thread and reason for joining is go elsewhere for a better deal .
    One suspects that if loyal customers got new customers discounts then new customer discounts would no longer exist .
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 13th Sep 17, 10:50 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 6,168 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:50 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:50 PM
    Basically MSE is a Disloyalty site .
    Common thread and reason for joining is go elsewhere for a better deal .
    One suspects that if loyal customers got new customers discounts then new customer discounts would no longer exist .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Actually I had a discussion about this with BT.

Why, as an existing customer should I accept a worse deal that is being offered to a new customer.....or in other words why should I accept being treated as a second class citizen (ok a little melodramatic!)

I politely made my point and ended up renewing with the same deal as a new customer.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • phillw
    • By phillw 14th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    phillw
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    Are you sure? Most companies won't treat you as a new customer when your contract has expired, you must terminate your contract. Some companies even make you wait (up to a year) before you are a new customer.

I politely made my point and ended up renewing with the same deal as a new customer.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Are you sure? New customers signing up via quidco or topcashback get extra cash back, which I would assume BT won't give you if you sign up direct.

I was a new BT customer, taking the cash back into account, my phone line, broadband, adsl and mobile with unlimited calls costs around £5 a month. For around a year earlier I actually made a profit from having a phone line (this is unfortunately unsustainable....).

Originally posted by JJ Egan
    If loyal customers got better discounts than new customers, then new customers wouldn't exist.
    Last edited by phillw; 14-09-2017 at 9:44 PM.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 15th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 2:23 PM
    i'm due an upgrade
    I do wish folk would stop this "I'm due an upgrade" nonsense. You are nearing the end of a 2 year finance deal to buy a mobile phone, with a call package included. Voda (and for that matter the other networks) love customers to think they are due an upgrade and tempt them into another 2 years on their network.

The money saving option is to go SIM only and shop around. There are some cracking SIM only deals. If you need a replacement phone (do you?), simply purchase one.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 15th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    Not quite right - that's where a lot of people who end up on here go wrong for another reason. It's NOT a 24 month contract; it's an indefinite contract with a minimum 24 month term.
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 15th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 3:32 PM
    its quite easy to contact them and negotiate
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,538Posts Today

6,163Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin