Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samsam89
    • By samsam89 12th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 132Posts
    • 39Thanks
    samsam89
    Another 'what to offer' thread
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    Another 'what to offer' thread 12th Sep 17 at 5:24 PM
    Sorry, it's another one of those threads.

Basic gist: Sold our property and staying with in laws. Have £50-£60k in savings plus a little bit more invested in a 5 year dividend scheme which negates need to pay tax or NI (roughly £6k). We are currently saving between £1000 and £1500 every month.

We are (fingers crossed) able to borrow £190-200 - meeting broker next week. Perhaps slightly less.

A small development of houses are due to begin construction in the next 2 weeks and one is on at £280k. They are set to be completed in 9months and have a non refundable reservation fee of £1000. They aren't registered for HTB and don't appear to want to do so.

Is this too optimistic as a price range, taking into consideration offers? And what would be a good starting point if so...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-50169732.html

Yes, I know a property is worth what someone will pay for it.
Page 2
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 4th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 3,926 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    So nobody who bought three years ago is having any problems finding a buyer to pay them more (or even the same) as they paid?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    some people are, but that is not the end of the world stuff you spout.

you seem to think the world is full of only 2 types of people

1) the "right" people, like yourself, who think prices will drop to 1990's prices in the next few months/years

2) people who think house prices only rise everywhere all the time.

when really most people on this board are pretty realistic and pragmatic, prices will rise long term due limited supply and increased demand, local markets may have bigger bumps and troughs than averages, but buying a long term home, is a good idea long term, and trying to time a crash is a fools game.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 4th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 2,934 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    haha also from 3 years ago

Seems the last "critical phase" has lasted over 3 years.

or was that critical phase not really critical but the one you just said is critical really is critical?
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    Brilliant! Not that he'll listen with those fingers in his ears.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 4th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 5,271 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    some people are, but that is not the end of the world stuff you spout.

you seem to think the world is full of only 2 types of people

1) the "right" people, like yourself, who think prices will drop to 1990's prices in the next few months/years

2) people who think house prices only rise everywhere all the time.

when really most people on this board are pretty realistic and pragmatic, prices will rise long term due limited supply and increased demand, local markets may have bigger bumps and troughs than averages, but buying a long term home, is a good idea long term, and trying to time a crash is a fools game.

Can you explain why sales volumes have dropped if there is increased demand?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 4th Oct 17, 3:09 PM
    • 30,740 Posts
    • 18,376 Thanks
    getmore4less
    North Norwich had a slowdown due to uncertainty over the ring road, now it is being built prices are moving and people are buying.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 4th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    • 5,271 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    North Norwich had a slowdown due to uncertainty over the ring road, now it is being built prices are moving and people are buying.
    Originally posted by getmore4less

Do you think U.S decisions on QE and interest rates will have any effect, or is it all about the ring road?
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 4th Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    • 3,223 Posts
    • 3,926 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    Can you explain why sales volumes have dropped if there is increased demand?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    ohh really Crashy.

a) Long term

b) demand =/ number of transactions

but transaction numbers have been trending upwards for the last 10 years (almost half a mortgage term!)

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/monthly-property-transactions-completed-in-the-uk-with-value-40000-or-above

I draw your attention to chart 4b, shows the long term trend os increases in transactions from the peak of the last correction.

anyway, I let people draw their own conclusions on who to listen too.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 4th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 5,271 Posts
    • 2,217 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    ohh really Crashy.

a) Long term

b) demand =/ number of transactions

but transaction numbers have been trending upwards for the last 10 years (almost half a mortgage term!)

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/monthly-property-transactions-completed-in-the-uk-with-value-40000-or-above

I draw your attention to chart 4b, shows the long term trend os increases in transactions from the peak of the last correction.

anyway, I let people draw their own conclusions on who to listen too.

How many of the transactions were BTL?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

195Posts Today

1,577Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin