Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SkipWoes
    • By SkipWoes 12th Sep 17, 4:50 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 18Thanks
    SkipWoes
    How to become an Electritian
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:50 PM
    How to become an Electritian 12th Sep 17 at 4:50 PM
    Hi Folks,

Im trying to work out whats involved in becoming qualified to do and sign off domestic electrical work (such as installing a new RCD, wiring, lights, sockets to a new extension).

Do i just need to take a course like the CITY AND GUILDS 2393-10 and then im part-p qualified ? or do i need to do something else after this ?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 12th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:34 PM
    If you are talking about a so-called "Domestic Installer" then it is important to note that these are not Electricians. (Hence why they are unable to achieve a JIB Electrician grade.)

The only way to become a fully qualified Electrician is through an Apprenticeship (or Adult Traineeship).
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 12th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 6,304 Posts
    • 5,072 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:36 PM
    Start by learning how to spell electrician.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • decbel
    • By decbel 12th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    decbel
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:21 PM
    Start by learning how to spell electrician.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    Rather harsh.

My gas safe fitter can barely read or write. But great on the tools.

No problem filling out the bill mind.
    • shadowseed
    • By shadowseed 12th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    shadowseed
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    If you are talking about a so-called "Domestic Installer" then it is important to note that these are not Electricians. (Hence why they are unable to achieve a JIB Electrician grade.)

The only way to become a fully qualified Electrician is through an Apprenticeship (or Adult Traineeship).
    Originally posted by Risteard
    Is a "domestic installer" allowed to do the stuff the OP asked about and sign it off for building control though ?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 12th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 2,783 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    When it comes down to it, anyone who is "competent" can install electrics. No certificates are required - you could read a few good DIY books. Building Regulations Part P doesn't specify any specific qualifications.

However, to stay legal, you would have to invite the local council's building control people to come and inspect the work, for which they charge a fee.

You could get a whole bunch of City and Guilds certificates. But you would still have to pay the council's inspection fee.

The only way to avoid paying the council is to sign up with one of the self-certification schemes (e.g. NAPIT, ELECSA or NICEIC). But that would probably end up costing more than just paying an electrician to do it for you.
    Last edited by Ectophile; 12-09-2017 at 7:52 PM. Reason: typos
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 13th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 14,223 Posts
    • 14,160 Thanks
    Nile
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 10:30 AM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Employment, Jobseeking & Training’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

4,823Users online

Martin's Twitter