Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tomclarky
    • By tomclarky 12th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    tomclarky
    John Lewis/Lenovo Laptop Warranty
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:34 PM
    John Lewis/Lenovo Laptop Warranty 12th Sep 17 at 4:34 PM
    I returned an in-warranty Lenovo laptop to John Lewis on 1st August because it had a faulty charger. It also had a cracked screen, which i understood probably wouldn't be fixed as it couldn't be proven to not be down to simple misuse. I said i was happy to just have a laptop back that charged.

Called them a few days ago. They're still searching for the part.

They called today and said they can't find the replacement part, and said by the way because the screen is also cracked, the warranty is void, so they will send it back unrepaired. No exchange or credit for an equivalent model in store will be given.

I may be mistaken but since when did a secondary problem void the warranty of another defective part? A part which they seemed happy to try and locate and replace, up until they couldn't find it, because the model is no longer manufactured.

If that was the case then surely either John Lewis should have told me at the point of return. Or the Tech Support team should've sent it back straight away, rather than it take 6 weeks.

Do i have any right to demand a replacement if i pursue this further?
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 12th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 6,818 Posts
    • 5,850 Thanks
    bris
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    They never fix items that have been physically damaged, none of them do. Your warranty is void but a warranty is over and above your statutory rights.

You can take them to court and take your chances but tbh a charger can easily be found online for a few quid. If it's not the charger that is faulty then it could be not charging because of the impact it took to break the screen,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,110Posts Today

8,088Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin