Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 12th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1,722Posts
    • 2,981Thanks
    Welshlassie
    Multi item saving calculator
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:50 PM
    Multi item saving calculator 12th Sep 17 at 3:50 PM
    Not sure this is the right forum, but anyway
    I'm trying to find/create a calculator to work out how much I should be putting aside each month for a number of annual subscriptions I have. They are all due at different times of the year. I have already saved an amount. Help!

For example
    Already have £170 saved
    Amazon £79 Due Feb 18
    Professional subscription £135 Due March 18
    YNAB £40 Due Jan 18
    Costco £30 Due May 18
    Tennis club £280 Due May 18
    Hosting £12 (3 yearly) Due Oct 19

I add subscriptions as I take them out or remember about them so and I obviously take amounts out of the year so I've found it difficult to work out how to do it. Google hasn't really helped with finding a calculator.
Page 1
    • nellis10
    • By nellis10 12th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    nellis10
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    Not sure this is the right forum, but anyway
    I'm trying to find/create a calculator to work out how much I should be putting aside each month for a number of annual subscriptions I have. They are all due at different times of the year. I have already saved an amount. Help!

For example
    Already have £170 saved
    Amazon £79 Due Feb 18
    Professional subscription £135 Due March 18
    YNAB £40 Due Jan 18
    Costco £30 Due May 18
    Tennis club £280 Due May 18
    Hosting £12 (3 yearly) Due Oct 19

I add subscriptions as I take them out or remember about them so and I obviously take amounts out of the year so I've found it difficult to work out how to do it. Google hasn't really helped with finding a calculator.
    Originally posted by Welshlassie
    But surely YNAB (which you subscribe to) can do this?
    I have number of yearly commitments and I add the date due when I set up the category and also set a goal in YNAB...then I divide it by 12 and save that amount each month. If I am not putting enough to it, YNAB will tell me.
    Nat
    Goals:
    Baby Step 1 = £1000 EF
    Baby Step 2= Debt Free by Apr 2017
    Baby Step 3 = Full EF £650/£8000
    Mortgage Free by 2023!!
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 12th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    Welshlassie
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    It can yes, but I have one line for all my annual subscriptions to keep it clearer looking - it was getting ridiculous with the amount of categories I had so I consolidated them. I'll go back to this method if I have to but it adds around 8 lines that just looks messy.
    • nellis10
    • By nellis10 12th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    nellis10
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    It can yes, but I have one line for all my annual subscriptions to keep it clearer looking - it was getting ridiculous with the amount of categories I had so I consolidated them. I'll go back to this method if I have to but it adds around 8 lines that just looks messy.
    Originally posted by Welshlassie
    I understand However you can create an overall category called "Subscriptions" add all the info into each line item, and then collapse the category when you budget once a month, so you only see "subscription" with £xxx and not each one. Much easier than having to keep it all in a separate place.

I'm a YNAB fan, and I have lots of lines in my budget, but I collapse those I don't need to see on a daily basis.
    Nat
    Goals:
    Baby Step 1 = £1000 EF
    Baby Step 2= Debt Free by Apr 2017
    Baby Step 3 = Full EF £650/£8000
    Mortgage Free by 2023!!
    • Welshlassie
    • By Welshlassie 13th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    Welshlassie
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    Thanks never thought of collapsing them so I can't see them. Will have to see how that affects my OCD of having a big picture view
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

252Posts Today

1,708Users online

Martin's Twitter