Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jotter633
    • By Jotter633 12th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jotter633
    Bad memory
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    Bad memory 12th Sep 17 at 3:33 PM
    Hi Forum, Newbie claimant here. Wondering if I can still put in a claim for PPI even though, with my terrible memory, I can just about remember which banks I been with over the last few decades, but I can't quite remember which ones I had loans from and which ones I had credit cards with (apart form my current ones). Over the last few years, I have been trying to clear out paperwork just keeping the last few years worth (maybe 5 or 6 years) so I don't have paperwork for earlier than that. A) should I still claim, B) because of lack of paperwork would I be better going through one of the many companies? I have looked at the MSE letter template and I would not have any of the information requested on it, so does that rule me out? Please note, I'm not too tech savvy so I can only look at this when I'm on my home pc which might not be every day.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 89,502 Posts
    • 54,962 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:43 PM
    Just ring the bank on their PPI line and ask them. The banks have become very good at this sort of thing now and are not going to be cause you any issues by doing that. They have people contacting them doing that every day and dedicated staff to handle those calls.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 13,187 Posts
    • 13,501 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:44 PM
    The companies will ask you which companies you had PPI with, and then send off a generic complaint on your behalf, before rifling through your wallet.

Check your files and memory, and then send a complaint accordingly to any you recall. But be aware that from the sound of it, none of the lenders will have records of you further back than the last few years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin