Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melissa1709
    • By melissa1709 12th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    melissa1709
    Disputing mortgage brokers fees...
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:26 PM
    Disputing mortgage brokers fees... 12th Sep 17 at 3:26 PM
    Hello all

My partner and I recently bought a new property and sold our old one. We used a mortgage broker who also owned the estate agents we sold our house through and also put our buyers in touch with him to use them as their mortgage broker too.

To cut a long story short - the service we received was absolutely appalling. We haven't actually had any contact with him since about a month before we got our mortgage offer. He passed everything onto the girl who worked in the estate agents who fully admitted she didn't have a clue what she was doing. We had to call Halifax ourselves about 50 times to get updates as he wouldn't answer his phone or emails. He tried to 'fiddle' information (e.g the gifted deposit from my parents he wanted to put down as savings, tried to put cash incentives through dodgy when they weren't allowed). I could go on forever, but he caused us a lot of stress, time and upset and in hindsight I may as well have not used a broker as we pretty much did it all ourselves anyway.

Now sending us a bill, I think he has a cheek. Baring in mind, we paid the estate agents fee even though we found our own buyers (they were a friend of my mums), got him extra business through putting our buyers in touch with him, and he was getting commission from the Halifax for sourcing the mortgage.

I have no intention of paying this 'fee', he never even told us upfront how much it would be, and I never signed anything to say I would pay it. I just want to know, if i don't pay this, can he do anything legally against us?

Any advice is appreciated.
Page 1
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 12th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 16,907 Posts
    • 27,460 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    Did you sign anything saying he'd be your mortgage broker?

Why would you use the estate agents broker?

I've had a bad broker before - I did a lot of legwork to make sure it all went through. The next time I just did it all myself and it was easier.
    • Ali03
    • By Ali03 12th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ali03
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:34 PM
    We had some issues with 2 separate MA and then went it alone, they give MA a bad name. To be honest there are a few on here that I wish I would have used as they serm great, so it hasn't put me off in the future. I always thought a good MA will charge you a fee or take commission, not both? Maybe agree on a price for what he helped you with in the beginning? Or work out what he's charging you and divide it by the number of hours he should have helped you to get his hourly rate , or ask him for his hourly rate and pay him the hours he's worked for you?
    • melissa1709
    • By melissa1709 12th Sep 17, 3:37 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    melissa1709
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:37 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:37 PM
    I don't believe we did sign anything no.

I emailed our solicitor asking for his advice also and he advised I check my mortgage offer that it does not say we have to pay him a fee - checked and it doesnt. He also advised I email back asking for the service and fee agreement.

I used the estate agents broker just as I thought it would be easy with them doing the sale on our property - naive of me in hindsight, I am a first time buyer (the property we sold was my partners property only).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin