Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 12th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 4,469Posts
    • 5,768Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    homework computer / printer?
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    homework computer / printer? 12th Sep 17 at 3:03 PM
    Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying my 10 year old a laptop/notebook/desk top and a printer to use for homework. She is currently doing research using her tablet which isn't ideal.

Could you recommend something? I'm not techie at all!

Thanks
    Alana
    Very proud mummy of 2!
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 9,842 Posts
    • 4,053 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:12 PM
    Epson XP-342 wireless printer scanner .
    sub £40.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-Expression-XP-342-Wi-Fi-Printer/dp/B01JOYH8DY
    • Dandytf
    • By Dandytf 12th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    Dandytf
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:49 PM
    Cannon mgs 6800

A little more expensive for cartridges though airprint and excellent quality.

Made initial cartridges last almost 1 year though I’m a light home printer.
    sc dmp 2012 13k

Jan 2017 7380 paid. 50% ish...
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 12th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 3,254 Posts
    • 1,477 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:49 PM
    looking to buy a laptop/notebook/desktop and a printer to use for homework.
    Originally posted by Mimi Arc en ciel
    Budget? I don't really want to suggest this but if you're not at all techie, may be the easy option (for us posters!); a. its cheap (look at HP's Instant Ink option) but b. the computer may be a little slow - how patient is your daughter :-)
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-bp059sa-14-laptop-printer-accessories-bundle-10167356-pdt.html
    EDIT: Forget that price has gone up from £250 to £330.

This would be much better for £390 and buy the cheapest HP (Instant Ink) printer. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6698894
    But we don't know your budget...

EDIT: adding more options.
    £300 Argos. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7399707
    £450 Argos https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6552624
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 13-09-2017 at 9:45 AM.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 12th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    • 4,469 Posts
    • 5,768 Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    Budget, it's tricky when I don't know what things are worth / what she needs. She's getting it as a christmas present so other family members will be chipping in also. She won't need an all singing all dancing thing, so won't be playing games etc on it. It will just be for web research and MS office
    Very proud mummy of 2!
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 12th Sep 17, 11:44 PM
    • 7,720 Posts
    • 5,507 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:44 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:44 PM
    For a 10 year old, I'd be looking at a desktop PC over a laptop.

Laptops encourage poor posture, and a desktop PC can be placed somewhere where you can keep an eye on what she's doing.

Also desktops are easier to upgrade/repair.

--------------

Your choice of printer really depends on how much you're going to be printing. In the past, I've looked for the cheapest unbranded inks on eBay (usually about £1 or £1.50 each) and bought a compatible printer.

Some printer manufacturers make it difficult to use unbranded cartridges, so be aware of that.

Some ink cartridges just provide ink; while others have a print-head built into them. Infrequent use can cause ink in the print-head to dry out, so for very low usage it can be better to look for an inkjet that uses cartridges with the head built-in. These cost more (~£7 each instead of £1), but if the print-head is part of the printer, it's usually cheaper to buy a new printer than a replacement print-head.

Laser printers are more reliable, and cheaper for high print volumes. I've seen some cheap black-and-white lasers that are as cheap as inkjets.

I don't keep up with what's on the market, so I can't offer any specific recommendations.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 13th Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 967 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    Laser printers are more reliable, and cheaper for high print volumes. I've seen some cheap black-and-white lasers that are as cheap as inkjets.

Originally posted by esuhl
    Mono laser printers are also perfect for people who only print black and white in low volumes as there are no print heads to clogg and the toner doesn't deteriorate. I have a HP P2015n that I was given, it hadn't been used for years because it wouldn't pick up paper from the main tray, a £7 part that took 5 mins to fit and it works perfectly, it even had around 600 pages left in the toner cartridge.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

516Posts Today

5,097Users online

Martin's Twitter