Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • datostar
    • By datostar 12th Sep 17, 1:02 PM
    • 1,012Posts
    • 609Thanks
    datostar
    Mysterious iTunes purchases via Apple TV
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:02 PM
    Mysterious iTunes purchases via Apple TV 12th Sep 17 at 1:02 PM
    I have recently had a few purchases of single music tracks, seemingly at random, made through my Apple TV box without my knowledge.
    Initially intending to disable purchases through the Apple TV, I went through all the settings and discovered that the remote control for my recently acquired Virgin TV6 box had paired itself to the Apple TV. Certain button presses on the TV Remote had been switching on the Apple TV and buying music tracks (fortunately not box sets or HD films!) with no onscreen information as the Apple TV is on a different HDMI port.
    I've disabled the TV Remote in the Apple TV settings and will probably have to keep an eye out to see it doesn't pair up again.
    Don't know if the same thing could happen with an Amazon Fire TV device or Chromecast but for anyone with a Virgin TV6 or possibly a Sky Q box it might be worth checking for unwanted remote pairing if strange things happen.
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:21 PM
    Wow that's a new one on me - how interesting !!

Perhaps it is best to set your apple device so that it requires a pin on each purchase
    (I would recommend doing that anyway)
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • datostar
    • By datostar 12th Sep 17, 8:32 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    datostar
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:32 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:32 PM
    No provision for requiring a PIN on the Apple TV. It's either set up for purchases or not. It does require account details initially. I've got iPhone and iPad set up for touch ID for purchases. When I first set up the TV6 I did set its remote for device discovery to be able to use it with the TV set which works fine for switching on and standby, volume and muting. Never occurred to me that it would latch on to the Apple TV as well and start spending my money.
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 13th Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    joeypesci
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    Are you sure it's the controller? Or have you been getting e-mails saying you've had purchases made? There has been a scam going around for a while with e-mails sent to people that look quite good Apple scam e-mails, claiming of recently purchases. The scams always appear to claim you've purchased music.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 15th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    datostar
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    Yes, definitely sure it was the Virgin remote. The music's in my iTunes and there's nothing suspicious about the account. I did find a PIN setting option in the Apple TV Restrictions area and have set one. Hasn't happened again since I unpaired the remote.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,115Posts Today

7,691Users online

Martin's Twitter