Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chicco22
    • By chicco22 12th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chicco22
    Sisters debt my house.. Scotland
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    Sisters debt my house.. Scotland 12th Sep 17 at 12:45 PM
    I'm new here, been reading old posts but need some help.

Basically I live in scotland far from family. Due to ill health especially after I gave birth to my son my sister came to stay with me a few months at a time. So unbeknown to me she took out a few credit cards at my address. Fast forward to 2017 she has 3 credit cards at my address owing about £14000 on them. She is not on the electrol roll here and owns nothing here. She is in the electrol roll at my mums house in London. Basically she has only ever visited here. She had an.overdraft with her bank at my mums address but I paid that off, £900. My mum has cancer and it's the last thing she needs. Anyway there's no way I can afford to pay off the rest. Now comes the main issue, she quit her job when she got married, and after her mother in law got I'll she went to ho help look after her, she was only supposed to go gor 3 weeks but it's been 2 months. She says she has no intention of returning and now the money in her accounts has finished she has no way to meet the payments on her cc. Now I own my home, have a mortgage, mine and my husbands cars are in my name. My sister and I shard the same surname, all bills are in my name. Insurances etc. If she doesn't pay her debts will I be liable. Will debt collectors/ballifs take my things? My cars, one was bought privately 3 years ago, and the other 3 years ago from Arnold Clark so could in theory get a receipt for the latter. I'm so lost for what to do and the mess the cow has left me in. The thing is I don't want my husband to find out.. what if ballifs turn up? If it makes any difference she has moved to Pakistan. She owns nothing, no assets no savings and no income. Many thanks for taking a read.:
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 12th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    If she doesn't pay her debts will I be liable.
    Originally posted by chicco22
    No......................
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 30,293 Posts
    • 19,164 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    No you arent liable ror debts that arent your.

Her debts are hers, no 1 will come and remove your car without first doing a check as to who owns it.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 12th Sep 17, 12:49 PM
    • 28,545 Posts
    • 72,696 Thanks
    Mojisola
    The thing is I don't want my husband to find out.. what if ballifs turn up?
    Originally posted by chicco22
    Do not hide this from your husband - it's highly likely that he will find out and, if you have kept it from him, he may think you were complicit with your sister.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 12th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 2,512 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:57 PM
    How did she manage to open credit cards using your address? She would not have had any evidence she lived there. When a statement comes in return it unopened with "no longer at this address" written on it. You just write that and pop it into a post box.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 12th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,807 Posts
    • 2,229 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    How did she manage to open credit cards using your address? She would not have had any evidence she lived there. When a statement comes in return it unopened with "no longer at this address" written on it. You just write that and pop it into a post box.
    Ditto - except write "never lived at this address".
    • chicco22
    • By chicco22 12th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chicco22
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:13 PM
    Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure how she managed to do this. She lived in lonion all her life worked slightly out of London. I'm not sure how she has managed to do this.
    • chicco22
    • By chicco22 12th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chicco22
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    No statements actually come that's the thing. She said everything is online.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 12th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 11,538 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    Her credit file will show that she lived at the address, so you will get letters. If you keep doing as above (so husband needs to be in on this) then eventually they will mark the entries 'gone away'

You can expect to have to do this quite a lot though.
    • chicco22
    • By chicco22 12th Sep 17, 1:16 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chicco22
    Sorry posting post after post. But should I give them her phone number and address in Pakistan if some comes to my door.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 12,469 Posts
    • 11,861 Thanks
    sourcrates
    As long as the accounts are not in your name you will not be liable.

Debt does not transfer to someone else because they can't pay.

Advice above is good, any post, return it, any calls, tell them she does not live there, home visits, same advice applies.

Not your debt, so not your problem.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • chicco22
    • By chicco22 12th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chicco22
    Even though she's been on the electrol roll at my mums this entire time? Although she could be lying about that. I'll have to ask my mum to check.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,436Posts Today

9,308Users online

Martin's Twitter