Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kazza292
    • By kazza292 12th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 33Thanks
    kazza292
    confused about land registry.. where has my name gone ???
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    confused about land registry.. where has my name gone ??? 12th Sep 17 at 12:28 PM
    I am currently have lots of good information for the circumstances I find my self in in Debt Wannabe forum..

I am stuck on a matter regarding land registry /deeds.
    I have seen a copy of land registry on line and when i look back at my paper work it is there too saying my husband is the registered proprietor..

I am going to divorce my husband soon. He has moved out on my request. we have a daughter 9. The mortgage is in joint names.. Our history is that in 2000 i bought my own property and we moved to the house we are in now in 2006 ( he wasn't able to have mortgage at that point from debt management / consolidation loan ). So the mortgage was on mine solely. ( i have mislaid paper work from this move..

Over the years i worried he wasn't on the mortgage so in 2011 we re mortgaged to do up our kitchen. We asked Nationwide to facilitate this and a conveyancing company called TCS were asked as my letters (which i have) so complete our re mortgage including a transfer of equity.

The land registry to these letters and I have since downloaded on line states he is the registered proprietor .. no mention of me.. i didn't really look at this at the time as just wanted my kitchen and for him to be on the mortgage.

So now he has moved out and i want to pursue divorce for unreasonable behaviour..
    my family have been very supportive.. I have debts ( ashamed ) but they say they will do all they can so me and daughter can stay.. he has been ok in conversations on the whole and we are not the type of people to stab each other in back.. Its just i dont understand about the deeds /land registry and where my name has gone.
    I anyone can help i would be grateful.
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 12th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 8,890 Posts
    • 11,743 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:30 PM
    Do you have any proof that your name was ever on land registry deeds as an owner/part-owner??

If not, it's his, you'd need to argue you are owed a share based on your contribution. If this is the case try CaB but you probably need a GOOD family law solicitor.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 41,081 Posts
    • 47,195 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    I doubt it really matters much whose name is registered.

You are married.

As part of your divorce settlement the court will look at your joint assets, and individual needs (are there children? who will care for them) and allocate the assets, including the property, appropriately.

The issue we see here regularly is where the couple are not married. Then it it becomes much more important who actually owns what.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 12th Sep 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:13 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:13 PM
    Exactly what G_M states.

In the case of a long marriage with children, the courts would typically look at the house as a marital asset.

It is advisable to get a proper financial settlement put in place as part of the divorce. It would be worth having an initial chat with a family law solicitor about your options.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,173Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin