Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 12th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    • 523Posts
    • 246Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    flexible pointing?
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:11 PM
    flexible pointing? 12th Sep 17 at 12:11 PM
    Seeking any ideas to rectify or work around a problem at the top of a set of steps that are built using concrete 3' X 2' slabs.

I have a problem that the pointing between some slabs keeps disintegrating/cracking after frost due to water ingress in a crack between pointing and slab. The crack is evident seasonally and I am certain is is owing to dissimilar foundations where steps have been widened. The foundations are tied together well but maybe there is slight movement at the outside edge owing to wet or dry conditions.

Obviously there seems to be movement between the two sets of foundations (however slight) and the ideal cure would be to rebuild with a better more stable single foundation but that is a fairly big job.

The crack is really quite small, a fraction of a millimeter to half a millimeter at worst in a 10mm joint between two concrete slabs at the top of the steps and negligible at the bottom.

Is there anything that I could use to repoint that would allow that amount of movement yet still be strong enough to withstand foot traffic?
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 12th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 5,445 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    Would a flexible weatherproof silicone sealant do the job?
    • Ainsley1
    • By Ainsley1 13th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 170 Thanks
    Ainsley1
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    • 13th Sep 17, 11:50 AM
    It would fill the gap and be very flexible but I wonder if it would withstand the wear and tear of foot traffic.
    Thanks for the idea though.

On second thought might be ok for a covering seal using clear stuff for a while......
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 13th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:10 PM
    Thanks both for the suggestions.
    I expect silicon would stand out like a sore thumb and not really last that long outside on what is similar to a floor area!

I was really looking for something that looks very similar to normal mortar. Sorry I did not mention that in my original post.
    Ihave heard there are resins now. Would they fit the bill?
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 13th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 5,445 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:32 PM
    You can get flexible fillers in a wide range of colours.

It is used in expansion joints in paved areas where thousands walk every day, in stadiums and factories floors because it doesn't wear out.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 14th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    • 14th Sep 17, 9:47 AM
    That is great news. Probably just what I am looking for!

Can you recommend any in particular, Davey? I have had a quick search and Tourpret Touprelith comes up frequently (not that a result like that is necessarily a good thing!). It seems expensive but for just a small amount could well be worthwhile.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,509Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin