Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Could you live without cash?

Yes

42.07% • 69 votes

No

57.93% • 95 votes

You may not vote on this poll

164 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 8,838Posts
    • 21,143Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Could you live without cash?
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    Could you live without cash? 12th Sep 17 at 12:03 PM

Hi everyone!

The BBC thinks Sweden is coming close to being a cashless society.

Do you think that would work in the UK?

Could you live without cash?

Could your kids? Do they need to learn about all money including coins?

Do you think it's inevitable we'll eventually go cashless?

What do you use coins for now that you don't think you could do without if they didn't exist?

Why Sweden is close to becoming a cashless economy

Related on MoneySavingExpert:

Cashback Credit Cards

Pension Credit - are you missing out on free cash?

Best Bank Accounts - £125 bonus or 5% interest
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-09-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 6
    • Frugalista
    • By Frugalista 22nd Sep 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    Frugalista
    A fairly superficial point but cash must be a major spreader of bacteria and whatnot. A lot (can't remember the %) of notes test positive for cocaine, meaning they've also been up someone's filthy hooter. Then there's the cashpoint keyboards. Using contactless cards/phone avoids a lot of that grime at a stroke.
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    This made me laugh! I work in a fuel station and cannot begin to tell you how many people stand there filling up with their cards in their mouth. They then come in and shove it in our card machine - saliva and all - and pick up all the residue from the previous card sucker. Makes me want to vomit .
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 24th Sep 17, 8:19 AM
    • 7,414 Posts
    • 10,292 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I would imagine that for those wgo live and work in a city/major town, being cashless is a more practical proposition.

For those of us who live in areas with poor/unreliable mobile signals and/or broadband, cash is still needed on a regular basis.
    For example, around here, cash is still needed for car park machines, bus fares, local taxi, window cleaner etc etc. Card payment/payment via app is not an option.
    While stores belonging to national chains do accept cards without extra charges, smaller/local stores/services often have a minimum transaction value or make an additional charge if they accept cards at all.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 25th Sep 17, 11:19 PM
    • 37,864 Posts
    • 34,251 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Our buses are supposed to take contactless payments. Didn't work for us on Sunday, didn't work for DS1 later. And the website is very clear: if your contactless payment doesn't work, you pay cash or don't get on the bus!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 2nd Oct 17, 12:29 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 2,848 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Not read all posts so I'll just answer the titled question.

for me I budget better with cash as I can only spend what I have on me. I find cards more difficult to stay disciplined (as there's more wriggle room) but if cash disappeared I'll get used to being totally reliant on cards.

There's a history of gambling addiction in my family, and again cash is easier to make someone see the damage & losses more than digits appearing on screen.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 2nd Oct 17, 9:23 PM
    • 23,366 Posts
    • 90,830 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Absolutely not ever cashless.

If the banking computer systems fall over, as they do from time to time, or the shops have power cuts/telephone faults, you can't buy food until they're fixed. It's pretty pointless going to buy cheap fruit and veggies at a market without cash as well.

The only time I'd countenance not using cash is in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse - as you'd need to have things to barter instead, what with money having no meaning anymore. And as that's fairly unlikely (although the nutters threatening to hoy nuclear missles at one another could achieve something of similar impact through electromagnetic pulses knocking out the systems permanently), I'll stick to getting x amount out of the cash machine and keeping it on me at all times.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 6th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 10,036 Posts
    • 107,822 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I don't have a smartphone and don't want one, so couldn't use that for paying for anything.
    I do use credit cards for two of the supermarkets I use, but always pay cash in @ldi.
    I also use cash for:
    Mr LW's Saturday newspaper.
    Drinks if we visit the pub .
    Small charitable donations (you know the sort of thing, loose change in the collecting box on the bar).
    Small purchases - say under a fiver when it's not worth putting on the credit card.
    Paying for goods at the Farmers Market and the F&V stall in Central MK - none of the traders are set up for cards afaik.
    Charity shop purchases.

So no, I couldn't cope with going totally cashless
    Last edited by LameWolf; 06-10-2017 at 2:18 PM. Reason: Thought of another instance when I use cash
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 6th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    badmemory
    Apart from anything else - why would I want some computer to know how many litres of whisky I drink in a week? I mean can you imagine the deluge of emails? 50% trying to sell me more & 50% trying to get me to go teetotal, absolute nightmare!
    • takman
    • By takman 7th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    takman
    Apart from anything else - why would I want some computer to know how many litres of whisky I drink in a week? I mean can you imagine the deluge of emails? 50% trying to sell me more & 50% trying to get me to go teetotal, absolute nightmare!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Paying by card for a purchase doesn't record what items you are buying. Although loyalty cards such as Tesco Clubcard and Nectar card are designed for exactly this reason and lots of people use them when paying in cash only.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,174Posts Today

5,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin