Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Could you live without cash?

Yes

42.07% • 69 votes

No

57.93% • 95 votes

You may not vote on this poll

164 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 12th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 8,731Posts
    • 21,001Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Could you live without cash?
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    Could you live without cash? 12th Sep 17 at 12:03 PM

Hi everyone!

The BBC thinks Sweden is coming close to being a cashless society.

Do you think that would work in the UK?

Could you live without cash?

Could your kids? Do they need to learn about all money including coins?

Do you think it's inevitable we'll eventually go cashless?

What do you use coins for now that you don't think you could do without if they didn't exist?

Why Sweden is close to becoming a cashless economy

Related on MoneySavingExpert:

Cashback Credit Cards

Pension Credit - are you missing out on free cash?

Best Bank Accounts - £125 bonus or 5% interest
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-09-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 12th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,518 Posts
    • 6,127 Thanks
    ska lover
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:14 PM
    For the most part, but there are transactions that are cash only - window cleaners for example
    Blah blah blah.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    cash only window cleaners, handiman gardeners, certain petrol stations, certain takeaways/drug money laundering shops (or so I've been told!!). Not particularly because I want to use cash but I don't want them to have the card info or even my name in some cases.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 13,977 Posts
    • 37,961 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    I have mixed feelings about this.

All of my income is/always has been 100% "legit". So I've never put a foot wrong in that respect and don't approve of others doing so either basically (excepting those genuinely on the Dole - as I know darn well they literally aren't being paid enough to live on due to no fault of their own).

On the other hand - our privacy is being invaded in way too many ways over recent years and those people who "behave ourselves" are entitled to keep our private lives private - and that includes our spending.

On the reverse direction - and with being a poorly-paid single person (poor salary prior to retirement and poor pension after retirement) means there have been occasions where I've paid workmen less than I'd have otherwise had to by paying them in cash. I admit it's something I disapprove of doing on the one hand - but I know I've had to pay out a lot more on tax/housing costs/bills over the years courtesy of being single and it's one of the few ways available to me to try and recoup some of those extra "single person costs" (eg paying 75% of a house's Council Tax bill - rather than the 50% I'd be paying if married). I haven't chosen to be single - just couldnt find The One in order to get married...so....

If our banking system got hacked or Government imposing unreasonable restrictions on getting at our own money - then it helps to know one has some cash to hand hackers and Government alike can't touch.

Or put in one phrase = There's no easy answers.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-09-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 12th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    northwalesd
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    Yes - IF we were to follow the Swedish model, where there is no minimum transaction amount. As it is, many places only allow cards over a certain value of purchases.

One takeaway I use quite often doesn't take cards at all, so have to use cash there.

Friends have window cleaners that they pay electronically, so no reason all of them couldn't do that.

I believe we will, at some point, end up as a cashless society.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 12th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:52 PM
    Yes I could. So long as there were no minimum spends or extra charges added on for using cards.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 12th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:55 PM
    No. Small local shops near me charge for using your card and topping up electric etc has be cash only. Also you need to spend over £10 if only going in for some cheap you cannot use.
    • slbhill
    • By slbhill 12th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 346,825 Thanks
    slbhill
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:29 PM
    I use cash less and less these days. But no I couldn't go totally cashless, particularly where children are concerned.

What about paying £1 for the bouncy castle at the town fair, and things of that nature?

Cashless spending for kids is a problem too, there are spending cards for children but it would be too hard for younger ones to keep track of although it's probably good practice for older children.

Most schools (where I am, at least) still require payment for trips, school lunches etc. by either cash or cheques but the banks are trying to do away with cheques.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 12th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:36 PM
    Parking. They add surcharges for paying by text.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £200.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 12th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    cjdavies
    No, I put money in birthday cards.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 12th Sep 17, 1:39 PM
    • 4,114 Posts
    • 11,074 Thanks
    Hermia
    I use cards as much as possible, but I also frequently use cash because I use local independent shops. It would cost the local bakery and greengrocers a fortune to take cards because most of their transactions are a few pounds. I wonder if Swedish businesses don't have to pay the card fees businesses do here, or whether they have some other alternative that means the profit on a small transaction doesn't get wiped out by fees?
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 12th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 3,683 Posts
    • 4,382 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I wouldn't mind going cashless, but there are certain places that I can't use my card like:-

Breakfast Club at my daughters' school

If I go to a cafe (as in greasy spoon), I always pay cash.

Charity shops (I know they have machines, but I'm usually buying a book for 49p).

Most other places, I just use my card.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - £180,813.85
    Equity - £219,186.15
    • Hutchch0920
    • By Hutchch0920 12th Sep 17, 1:54 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    Hutchch0920
    The question that I always ponder alongside this is, what would happen to beggars?
    Save £12k in 2017 / Dec 2017 Travel Cash = £12,400 / £14,000 88.5%[/COLOR]

House Deposit = £20,500 / £18,000
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Sep 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 1,215 Thanks
    Robin9
    For the most part, but there are transactions that are cash only - window cleaners for example
    Originally posted by ska lover
    Not my window cleaner - prefers pay by bank transfer.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 12th Sep 17, 2:16 PM
    • 3,538 Posts
    • 7,769 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    If I'm clearing out some old stuff at a car boot, how do I accept credit cards? Let's assume there's no mobile signal, so card processing services are unavailable, for the sake of this example.

My local kebab van is cash only, ditto the fish and chip shop.

Perhaps when there is no processing charge for low value debit card transactions (say, under £30) and banks make a straightforward, free way for private individuals to accept them, subsidized by whoever actually wants a cashless society (as they should put their money where their mouth is) then it might be possible. At the moment, it's not.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 12th Sep 17, 2:33 PM
    • 17,068 Posts
    • 27,733 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    No, I put money in birthday cards.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    My kids normally get Amazon vouchers now rather than cash
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Sep 17, 3:03 PM
    • 15,673 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    motorguy
    The window cleaner / etc argument is a moot point. Theres lots of little card readers available now for small businesses from a few £.

A lot of those businesses "prefer" (!) cash from a tax perspective (ie, they can avoid paying any) but there are options.

I rarely carry cash at all now - most reasonable sized establishments dont charge supplements or minimum transaction sizes.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Sep 17, 3:06 PM
    • 15,673 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    motorguy
    If I'm clearing out some old stuff at a car boot, how do I accept credit cards? Let's assume there's no mobile signal, so card processing services are unavailable, for the sake of this example.

My local kebab van is cash only, ditto the fish and chip shop.

Perhaps when there is no processing charge for low value debit card transactions (say, under £30) and banks make a straightforward, free way for private individuals to accept them, subsidized by whoever actually wants a cashless society (as they should put their money where their mouth is) then it might be possible. At the moment, it's not.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    My local kebab shop accepts cards. As do a lot of chippys. If they dont have a card facility its because they chose not to, not because they cant.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 12th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 5,585 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    The BBC may suggest that Sweden will be going cashless but five minutes searching suggest that there are a lot of Swedes that don't want to.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Sep 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 5,238 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    cash only window cleaners, handiman gardeners, certain petrol stations, certain takeaways/drug money laundering shops (or so I've been told!!). Not particularly because I want to use cash but I don't want them to have the card info or even my name in some cases.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    I pay over the phone for my window cleaning, by standing order for the gardener, haven't seen a petrol station that's cash only for years, takeaways can be ordered and paid for online now.

Literally the only time I ever need cash is for tradespeople who request it and I have to make a special trip to get it as I never carry it and never need it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,099Posts Today

8,635Users online

Martin's Twitter