Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kris35
    • By Kris35 12th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Kris35
    Freeview but what about internet access?
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    Freeview but what about internet access? 12th Sep 17 at 12:00 PM
    Hi all,

I've been thinking for a while that I want to try Freeview as I'm tired of paying Virgin media and other companies 50 quid a month. I just want to get away from these services for good.

I don't need a home phone but (and I'm really dumb when it comes to techy stuff) I do need to use my computer. I have a desktop - am I correct that I do need a phone line for this? If so, if I buy a laptop do I need a phone line for that?

I think I can get all the major channels on Freeview but it doesn't have catch up services or anything which I can live with.

So my question is - how can I get internet access without having to pay for broadband/phone line - is it possible?

Thanks,

Kris
Page 1
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 12th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 1,942 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:37 PM
    The short answer is no. You can use mobile broadband which would avoid a landline. That depends on reception and your usage as to whether it would be suitable.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 12th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    You could look into getting BT internet with BT TV. It's cheaper than virgin, especially if you sign up through top cashback or quidco, plus BT often offer prepaid MasterCard's.

It has freeview, catchup and allows you to record.

Or as above, if you just want freeview and basic internet, then a 4G solution might work, however, even for something like 30Gb per month, expect to pay around £30.
    • Robertsutton1978
    • By Robertsutton1978 12th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Robertsutton1978
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Hi

I've just done something similar by leaving Sky.
    I couldn't find a way around not having a Phone line, but I just got the cheapest combined phone and internet service I could get. My Post Office deal works out at about £17 per month.

I switched my TV to a Youview Box. It allows you to watch catch-up TV and record like SKY/Virgin and I honestly haven't missed any other channels.

You View is the same service that BT TV & TalkTalk uses, just free apart from buying the box.
    The only disadvantage compared to the BT TalkTalk. services are that with them you can pay for extra channels that you can't with a stand alone youview box.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 9,863 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:05 PM
    Is the Post Office not just rebranded TT .

OP you need a line for the broadband data to travel down . Thats what you pay line rental for .
    Mobile internet access might be ok for very limited catchup use otherwise its very very expensive as a catchup solution .
    • Kris35
    • By Kris35 12th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Kris35
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    Thanks all. I've gone over to Talk Talk, phone and broadband £19.95 a month. Just cancelled Virgin media and just to let anyone know - they have put their prices up and are open to not following that through if you are thinking of leaving. I'm off though.

Am sure I'll sort the tv out - when Virgin stop their services I have no idea what is going to be on my tv - but cross that bridge etc. Can watch on pc in the meantime. So stressful - has taken two hours all in all.
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 12th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 1,950 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    I hope you went through tcb/quidco!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

410Posts Today

3,393Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin