Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • neoten
    • By neoten 12th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    neoten
    Boiler Cover - After 5 Years Company says Boiler contains Asbestos was never covered
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    Boiler Cover - After 5 Years Company says Boiler contains Asbestos was never covered 12th Sep 17 at 11:19 AM
    I have Potterton Netheat boiler, and cover since 2012 from SSE.
    When the boiler was being serviced this year I was told it has asbestos by the engineer so he can not service it and left. Then SSE have said they can no longer cover me for the boiler.

Initially I was told by SSE they would refund all of the years I had boiler cover as in 2012 HSE issued a notice for my boiler to all energy suppliers.

However since then they have changed their line after speaking to legal and a independent engineer and said even though there was a notice in 2012 for the boiler their company did not receive it and they are not at fault for covering the boiler.
    I have been told by SSE that they will refund me 1 years cover in 2014 as they did not schedule a service, but all remaining years they will not refund.
    They have said in their services they did not touch the asbestos and posed no risk to me.
    They also did a repair on the boiler in 2013 which they don't have any records for 2013.

Would appreciate your help
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 12th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 7,046 Posts
    • 6,047 Thanks
    bris
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    They have serviced the boiler every year and even repaired it so why on earth would you expect a refund for the years you have had a service?
    • neoten
    • By neoten 12th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    neoten
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:25 PM
    As the boiler has asbestos they should not have insured it. They are saying that we were never covered for all the time.
    Also they did not service between for some years in between.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    • 9,859 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    <<Also they did not service between for some years in between.>

What did you do each time they did not turn up to service it ??
    • bris
    • By bris 12th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 7,046 Posts
    • 6,047 Thanks
    bris
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:27 PM
    You said they didn't service it in 2014 but are giving you a refund for that year. Seems fair, but I still don't believe you are entitled for a refund on the years you were in cover. If there was any doubt they would not have fixed it in 2013 so you were insured until the problem came to their attention this year.
    • neoten
    • By neoten 12th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    neoten
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:05 PM
    If a boiler is on the HSE notice since 2012 containing asbestos should the company not insure it? Or is it upto them?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 17,343 Posts
    • 11,519 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    If a boiler is on the HSE notice since 2012 containing asbestos should the company not insure it? Or is it upto them?
    Originally posted by neoten
    The notice purely warned that asbestos was present and linked to the precautions necessary to safeguard the tradesmen and customers. It was up to individual companies how they proceeded and SSE have obviously decided the safest thing to do is not touch them. No doubt the same company would be willing to sell you a nice new shiny non asbestos containing boiler and remove the old one .
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,436Posts Today

9,308Users online

Martin's Twitter