Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BaileySJ
    • By BaileySJ 12th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 43Thanks
    BaileySJ
    Tenant Sadly Deceased
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    Tenant Sadly Deceased 12th Sep 17 at 11:12 AM
    Good morning,

I have been a Landlord for a number of years without any hassle (just the usual ad-hoc maintenance and Gas/Electricity checks).

Very sadly over the weekend the tenant died in the property, unfortunately the police had to gain access by smashing the front door (frame and door destroyed). They died from natural causes and there are no additional issues / investigations (apart from the usual police reports etc).

I am going to speak with Direct Line this morning - does anyone have any experience of making a claim for damage to the door in this situation? Also, the tenant was on Housing Benefit - will the property clearance ultimately be my responsibility, the authority or next of kin?

The deposit is quite small and would not cover the work - plus, there will be some probate procedures to go through (as she has a daughter) and to be honest I don't want to start talking money with them as this is distressing enough for them.

Any advice or things I should be doing would be greatly appreciated - It is let through an agency and I they *seem* to be on top of things.

Many thanks
Page 3
    • BaileySJ
    • By BaileySJ 13th Sep 17, 8:43 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    BaileySJ
    Hope you don't mind me asking have you or EA informed the housing benefit dept that the tenant has passed away, If not you need to ..
    Originally posted by 45002
    Hi - yes the department was contacted by the letting agent and myself - the payments were made directly to the agents rather than the tenant in this instance.
    • BaileySJ
    • By BaileySJ 13th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    BaileySJ
    So that's £15/mo top-line loss, before any costs.

I have to say that it doesn't seem like the most sensible of business plans you have...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Thank you, very helpful. When originally purchased the rent easily covered the mortgage and left a surplus to save towards repairs etc. Market factors over the years have reduced the rental yield. I was in a position on several occasions to put the rent up (and advised to do so by the agency) but the tenant would have had to pay personally as her allowance would not have increased. I decided against this as I felt I could afford it more than her.

Not looking for sympathy - totally my own decision, and something I felt more comfortable doing. Plus at some point the mortgage will be paid off and it will be a viable asset.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 13th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 4,784 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Thank you, very helpful. When originally purchased the rent easily covered the mortgage and left a surplus to save towards repairs etc. Market factors over the years have reduced the rental yield. I was in a position on several occasions to put the rent up (and advised to do so by the agency) but the tenant would have had to pay personally as her allowance would not have increased. I decided against this as I felt I could afford it more than her.

Not looking for sympathy - totally my own decision, and something I felt more comfortable doing. Plus at some point the mortgage will be paid off and it will be a viable asset.
    Originally posted by BaileySJ

Lot of contradictions there, doesn`t make sense to me. It would be better, and less stress to put 350 p.m into a global equities tracker fund IMO.
    • BaileySJ
    • By BaileySJ 13th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    BaileySJ
    Lot of contradictions there, doesn`t make sense to me. It would be better, and less stress to put 350 p.m into a global equities tracker fund IMO.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    You are quite right - but the value has dipped since purchase and I would rather hang on until the market improves (by which time the mortgage will also be less).
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 29,745 Posts
    • 17,788 Thanks
    getmore4less
    You are quite right - but the value has dipped since purchase and I would rather hang on until the market improves (by which time the mortgage will also be less).
    Originally posted by BaileySJ
    With repayment mortgage you only count the interest in the profitability of the trading operation of the rental business.

Any capital is equity creating/savings
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th Sep 17, 11:43 AM
    • 4,784 Posts
    • 2,104 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    With repayment mortgage you only count the interest in the profitability of the trading operation of the rental business.

Any capital is equity creating/savings
    Originally posted by getmore4less

Capital/savings are best stored in a more liquid asset though.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 15th Sep 17, 2:54 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 765 Thanks
    cloo
    I take it you didn`t know the tenant well, as money seems to be your main concern here?
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    Why should OP know their tenant well? They've made it clear they don't want to harrass the family, as is absolutely right, but they afre also entitled to have some concern about the costs to themselves as a result as they have their household's interests to think of too.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 15th Sep 17, 2:58 PM
    • 15,127 Posts
    • 14,717 Thanks
    Guest101
    Why should OP know their tenant well? They've made it clear they don't want to harrass the family, as is absolutely right, but they afre also entitled to have some concern about the costs to themselves as a result as they have their household's interests to think of too.
    Originally posted by cloo

Well sort of.

It's a business and these things happen in business. So really it's a risk that wasn't accounted for and given the age of the tenant quite short-sighted.
    • Bonniepurple
    • By Bonniepurple 15th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Bonniepurple
    Well sort of.

It's a business and these things happen in business. So really it's a risk that wasn't accounted for and given the age of the tenant quite short-sighted.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    I can't see any reference as to the age. Just because someone is 80 doesn't mean they are likely to drop dead- I knew a 41 year old who died very unexpectedly of natural causes!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Sep 17, 4:17 PM
    • 15,044 Posts
    • 13,367 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I can't see any reference as to the age. Just because someone is 80 doesn't mean they are likely to drop dead- I knew a 41 year old who died very unexpectedly of natural causes!
    Originally posted by Bonniepurple
    No, all we know is that the tenant had a daughter who - presumably - does not live with them. The daughter could be a child living with the father or another relative, for all we know.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 15th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    • 15,127 Posts
    • 14,717 Thanks
    Guest101
    Originally posted by Bonniepurple
    Well that may be the case, but the avg lifespan in the UK is around 80. So yes you would expect an 80 yr old to be closer to death's door than a 41 year old.

Anyway I was simply saying that the tenant you choose had varying business related expenses.

Rent to a group of students - expect a mess
    Rent to a young family expect some damage
    Rent to pet owners expect to fumigate

Etc.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 16,986 Posts
    • 11,174 Thanks
    molerat
    There are a few post on the probate board about councils hounding the relatives to pay the rent and get the stuff out in a week.
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    My SIL was given 2 weeks by the council or they would go in and clear the place as abandoned.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 15th Sep 17, 9:57 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    wesleyad
    Bailey, as someone else mentioned you can get vastly cheaper doors, especially as its for a rental. Look for your local reclaim yard. Ours does very nice uPVC doors for £25, very easy to fit (they come in frames)
    • BaileySJ
    • By BaileySJ 18th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    BaileySJ
    Bailey, as someone else mentioned you can get vastly cheaper doors, especially as its for a rental. Look for your local reclaim yard. Ours does very nice uPVC doors for £25, very easy to fit (they come in frames)
    Originally posted by wesleyad
    Thanks Wesleyad - the doors need to be of a certain type to match the rest of the block. Luckily, in this case, I am able to make a claim with the buildings insurance that come as part of the service/maintenance charge (less £350 excess).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,367Posts Today

8,098Users online

Martin's Twitter