Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Matt4395
    • By Matt4395 12th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Matt4395
    Replacing the bed in the house
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:56 AM
    Replacing the bed in the house 12th Sep 17 at 10:56 AM
    Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend has just moved into a new student rented house and says the bed is incredibly uncomfortable and small - She's wanting to replace it with a double that is more comfortable for her back. She knows the landlady and is on good terms with her but she has said she doesn't want any of the girls having double beds as "she doesn't want to pay for them". My girlfriend offered to pay for it blah blah blah but she still said no. If she replaced the bed with a double she would obviously pay for the previous bed and mattress to be stored correctly

Is the landlady legally allowed to say no? I can't seem to find any information online anywhere so if you know the information or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 12th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 173 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    Your girlfriend is well within her rights to purchase and use her own bed.

As long as the property is left in the same state as when she started the tenancy that's all that matters.
    • Matt4395
    • By Matt4395 12th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Matt4395
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    Okay great thank you! It seems like an absolute minefield for the renting student so having that cleared up is great
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 15,075 Posts
    • 13,397 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    So long as she's not expecting the landlady to do the storage, then how is the landlady going to know what bed is in use?
    • Matt4395
    • By Matt4395 12th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Matt4395
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    Presumably she would speak to the landlady - This was more of a hypothetical as to how to approach the situation.

Would you have any recommendations at all as to what you might do?

Being a student she doesn't have much option other than going for furnished houses/flats as money is a little bit tighter.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 12th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 4,493 Posts
    • 3,567 Thanks
    cajef
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    Why does she need a double bed, how big is she and how would that make it more comfortable for her back?

There are plenty single or three quarter beds that are just as comfortable as a double.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 12th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 56,791 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:28 AM
    Could it be that actually the single bed argument by the LL is more to do with the potential of having guests staying and less to do with wanting to pay for a double bed....afterall the cost is not that much different.

I agree that your girlfriend is perfectly entitled to put her own bed in and store the single and she should do what is best for her .....but I just wonder if this may then open a whole new cause for debate with the LL over guests who may see it that it could allow others to stay.

Personally I think there is more to this no double bed "rule" than the LL or indeed your girlfriend needing to fund the purchase.
    "She doesnt want to pay for them"....could mean that the LL doesnt want to pay for visitors using utilities if they are included in the price of your girlfriends single room rate.
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 131 out 101 in ...£14.92 spend
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 12th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    Nothing to worry about as long as the tenant either
    A) leaves the property in the same condition less wear & tear: so exisiting bed returned to property in the same condition, no damp etc; or
    B) pays for property to be restored to the same condition less wear & tear. This may include
    - removal cost of extra furniture / bed left by tenant
    - purchase price of second hand bed / part cost of a new bed similar to the existing one
    - delivery cost of replacement bed
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 23,834 Posts
    • 50,482 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    Might be easiest just to buy a new mattress and leave it at the end of the year.

Or ask the LL to provide a new one
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Sep 17, 12:26 PM
    • 41,076 Posts
    • 47,200 Thanks
    G_M
    Just to be clear - this is a tenancy yes? The students rent the entire property and the landlady does not also live there?

If a tenancy, then the answer is as others have said - she can do as she wishes: move furniture, bring in her own, whatver:it's her home so she can live there as she wishes. Provided at the end she returns the property and furniture to the LL as it was at the start.

But if she is a lodger e the LL lives there, the answer will be different.
    • Matt4395
    • By Matt4395 12th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Matt4395
    Sorry yes, this is indeed a tenancy and the landlady does not live there. The landlady has nothing to do with the utility bills etc - It's all handled by the girls living there
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 41,076 Posts
    • 47,200 Thanks
    G_M
    Mind you, I don't fall for the bad back story. This is about keeping warm in winter through the sharing of body heat.......
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 12th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    I had a really rubbish mattress in a house share once. I folded up a thick duvet and used it a mattress topper, could she do this instead of buying a new bed?
    • aneary
    • By aneary 12th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    aneary
    I would actually check again. It may be a requirement to be on a recommended list.

A university I was at (this was 15 years ago) had a recommended list of LLs but for the LL to be on the list they had to provide accommodation to a certain standard with a desk, wardrobe, chest of drawers, chair and a single bed in each bedroom. I never found out the reason for the single bed but the university carried out regular inspections and LLs would be removed if they didn't meet all standards.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Sep 17, 12:46 PM
    • 41,076 Posts
    • 47,200 Thanks
    G_M
    I gather some students are now exploiting the various mattress companies' '100 days free trial' policies.

There are, I gather 3 such companies.

Get new mattress in September, then return it for full refund at end of autumn term.

Get 2nd new mattress in January, then return it for full refund at end of spring term.

etc

!!

http://www.dreamtyme.co.uk/acatalog/Mattress-with-100-Day-Trial.html
    • aneary
    • By aneary 12th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    aneary
    There are more than 3
    Simba
    Otty
    Eve
    Leeds
    Emma
    Casper
    There are others too.
    I have an Otty it's amazing and I'm not getting rid of it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,727Posts Today

6,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin