Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluenun
    • By bluenun 12th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 149Posts
    • 15Thanks
    bluenun
    Had my ESA assessment
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    Had my ESA assessment 12th Sep 17 at 9:36 AM
    I attended my ESA assessment yesterday with a social worker.

The Nurse who did the assessment said if I have not heard from the DWP in 3 weeks to contact them, but I should hear sooner that that.

If I get a letter from the DWP telling me I am fit for work and my ESA will stop, I will ask them for a mandatory reconsideration.
    I thought I could start to prepare for that, are there any links that would tell me what sort of form and questions I would need to fill in please? My claim is related to mental health not physical health problems.

I also understand that I could/should telephone the DWP tomorrow and ask for a copy of the assessment report ESA85 to be sent to me.
Page 1
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 12th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 7,123 Posts
    • 9,937 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:16 AM
    Yes absolutely, do phone and get a copy of the report.

It can give you an indicator of which way the decision will go:
    A positive report can make you relax a little
    A negative report can allow you to start preparing your defence, so if a refusal comes you can request a MR straight away.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/while-youre-getting-esa/challenging-an-esa-decision/
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:14 AM
    I attended my ESA assessment yesterday with a social worker.

The Nurse who did the assessment said if I have not heard from the DWP in 3 weeks to contact them, but I should hear sooner that that.

If I get a letter from the DWP telling me I am fit for work and my ESA will stop, I will ask them for a mandatory reconsideration.
    I thought I could start to prepare for that, are there any links that would tell me what sort of form and questions I would need to fill in please? My claim is related to mental health not physical health problems.

I also understand that I could/should telephone the DWP tomorrow and ask for a copy of the assessment report ESA85 to be sent to me.
    Originally posted by bluenun
    Decision times vary wildly accross the country depending on where you are, they can take anything between 2-8 weeks. They may not send you the ESA85 report until after a decision's been made, as this often happens with ESA. Good luck.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 12th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 7,123 Posts
    • 9,937 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    It's not normal procedure by the DWP to send out an ESA85 at this stage.

However it is also normal for them to be sent when a claimant requests, such as immediately following a Face to Face assessment.
    Last edited by KxMx; 12-09-2017 at 2:07 PM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:20 PM
    It's not normal procedure by the DWP to send out an ESA85 at this stage.

However it is also normal for them to be sent when a claimant requests, such as immediately following a Face to Face assessment.
    Originally posted by KxMx
    I've heard in many cases they won't send this out until a decisions been made, this happened to me after my first assessment. The 2nd time i didn't ask because i was given a paper based decision. For PIP they'll send them out when requested before a decisions been made.
    • bluenun
    • By bluenun 12th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    bluenun
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    Thank you both for the replies and the C.A.B link.

Perhaps I will wait to get my decision letter before asking to see the ESA85.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 12th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 2,737 Posts
    • 1,715 Thanks
    epitome
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    Ok,

The Nurse has no place telling you to phone DWP after 3 weeks or giving you any timescales at all, she does not work for the DWP and should at the very least -after telling you that- make it clear to you that she does not work for the DWP and she could be entirely wrong in her assumptions (which she is).

Your DWP decision can take anywhere from 2 - 8 weeks, and in extreme cases even longer than that. There is NO POINT WHAT SO EVER in phoning the ESA line if you have not had a decision after 3 weeks. As long as you continue to send in sick notes and as long as you continue to be paid every 2 weeks, there is no point in phoning them, it will acheive absolutely nothing.

You can phone ESA and ask for a copy of your medical report. Phoning less than 48 hours after your WCA is not very clever, because it may not be available yet. However, that said, they are usually available after 48 hours, 2 working days. You will possibly come across a telephone agent who will say
    "You can't have your medical report until the decision has been made"
    This is entirely without foundation, a falsehood, a lie, wrong advice, etc etc take your pick. if you are told this you should ask to speak to manager and if they do not change their mind you should make a formal complaint (with them over the phone and insist on a written response) after taking the name and office of who you have been speaking to. And then call in again and speak to someone else who should send you the medical report...(and if that person sends you the report you should ask them to send an error against the person who you were previously speaking to.)
    Last edited by epitome; 12-09-2017 at 8:59 PM.
    • bluenun
    • By bluenun 15th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    bluenun
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 15th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    I left it 4 days before telephoning and have asked for a copy to be sent to me and it is on it's way. Should get it next week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

394Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin