Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 12th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 21,272Posts
    • 10,211Thanks
    lisyloo
    Zone 3 - wheres the catch?
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    Zone 3 - wheres the catch? 12th Sep 17 at 9:21 AM
    https://www.galliardhomes.com/

westgate house, ealing, W5, zone 3, 6 minutes from hangar lane
    In todays metro, £225K for "suite" (studio) and £350K for 1 bed apartment.

Seems very cheap for London commuter belt.
    Where's the catch?

A bit dependent on central line and will have high charges if there's gym/sauna, but can't really see a big catch.
    Seems too cheap.
    What am I missing?
Page 3
    • Filo25
    • By Filo25 12th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    Filo25
    We currently rent in zone1, but I don't think we could afford to buy anything in zone1, so would need to move a little further out.
    I personally would not want a commute of over 1 hour, currently one of us has a commute of 5 mins, but accept we can't minimise both commutes.

I don't think there is a lot below £350K in zone 1 or 2 that's acceptable to live in i.e. I don't want to be mugged, live next door to a crack den or asked "how much" every time I walk out the door.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    I can do a 45 min commute from the wilds of Zone 4, as you say though it gets a lot more complex when you are trying to manage 2 commutes to different areas.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 15,473 Posts
    • 13,788 Thanks
    AdrianC
    We used to do less than an hour from zone 7 to zone 1.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Sep 17, 6:28 PM
    • 9,434 Posts
    • 9,002 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    We used to do less than an hour from zone 7 to zone 1.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Most of London and many major towns in the Home Counties are 1 hour or less from Central London termini. If you need a car/bus journey at one end, and a tube journey at the other, that can increase journey time considerably.

OTOH, when I lived in Zone 2, it was great for commuting to work (30 min walk or 15 mins on the bus), but getting to a supplier site in Zone 2 on the other side of London was very tedious indeed.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Sep 17, 6:45 PM
    • 3,092 Posts
    • 4,283 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    There is Ealing borough and there is Ealing town. Ealing town has some really nice bits. Ealing borough has some really nasty bits. Where this building is going to be is in Ealing borough not Ealing town. It is nearer to Alperton and the back end of Wembley than Ealing. It is going to be in a really really bad position right next to the A 40 which is very busy. I would expect that anyone buying one might lose a lot of money trying to sell it on because of the location. In order to get to the local shops someone would have to go through the underpass that goes under the Hanger Lane roundabout. Who would want to do this at night getting back from the station in that location?

The flats are very expensive for where they are.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 12-09-2017 at 9:41 PM.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 12th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    boliston
    looking at those plans there seem to be a lot of flats that face a "void" - a sort of lightwell inside the development! I have been in cheap hotels where you get this but it would be quite depressing living with a lightwell and no view. as others have said the actual area seems pretty grim and is just set up for cars and looks very hostile to actual people.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Sep 17, 7:36 PM
    • 36,053 Posts
    • 152,274 Thanks
    silvercar
    looking at those plans there seem to be a lot of flats that face a "void" - a sort of lightwell inside the development! I have been in cheap hotels where you get this but it would be quite depressing living with a lightwell and no view.
    Originally posted by boliston
    That is the one thing that would put me off more than anything.
    • PField
    • By PField 12th Sep 17, 8:44 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PField
    Have look East as well. The area next to Excel and Royal Victoria Dock is is pretty nice and well connected. Next to the DLR into Bank and Crossrail ( next to no time into London) and the Jubeliee line is near by. Next to the Cable car to the O2 for entertainment and dinning.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49187934.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68770370.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68806982.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49896561.html
    Last edited by PField; 12-09-2017 at 8:50 PM.
    • Lunchbox
    • By Lunchbox 12th Sep 17, 8:58 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Lunchbox
    looking at those plans there seem to be a lot of flats that face a "void" - a sort of lightwell inside the development! I have been in cheap hotels where you get this but it would be quite depressing living with a lightwell and no view. as others have said the actual area seems pretty grim and is just set up for cars and looks very hostile to actual people.
    This all over - having no real external windows would be a no-no for me. There is a development in the nearby old Hoover building which is much pricier, but is a sealed building with no opening windows and built in ventilation system, which would also totally put me off.

Hanger Lane is indeed really awful and isn't going to be helped by any 'regeneration'. I don't live far away, but far enough that I use a different tube station and avoid Hanger Lane and its underpasses if I'm alone in the day, let alone at night.

The 9 mins to Ealing Broadway by bus is also a blatant lie. The road is single lane and traffic appalling - it takes 45 minutes in peak hours or at weekends.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 12th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    boliston
    This all over - having no real external windows would be a no-no for me. There is a development in the nearby old Hoover building which is much pricier, but is a sealed building with no opening windows and built in ventilation system, which would also totally put me off.......
    Originally posted by Lunchbox
    I would hate the idea of a "sealed" apartment! I notice the site at http://www.idmproperties.com/property/the-hoover-building/ says:

"The Building is sealed with no opening windows to apartments & fresh air being drawn from the roof of the building through filtration systems. This ensures the best air quality & noise protection for the building"

I have sometimes been in hotel rooms where there are no opening windows and actually find them too quiet! I actually like to be able to hear some outside noise.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Sep 17, 9:36 PM
    • 15,473 Posts
    • 13,788 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I have sometimes been in hotel rooms where there are no opening windows and actually find them too quiet! I actually like to be able to hear some outside noise.
    That near Hanger Lane, though...
    • caronoel
    • By caronoel 12th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    caronoel
    "ideally suited for first-time buyers, post graduates, house movers or investors"...Dog Groomers, bakers, candlestick makers, ex-HPC members,....anyone...please! The catch is no one wants this rubbish in a declining market.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    Be very wary of taking advice from a wise old owl like Crashy.

He is a 50-something year old single male who lives in a bedsit in Edinburgh, having sold up to rent in the late 90s. Quite pathetic really.
    • Lunchbox
    • By Lunchbox 12th Sep 17, 10:31 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Lunchbox
    Found a price list. Some units have details of floor number and sq ft, others not: http://www.fraser.uk.com/new-development/residential-for-sale-in-hanger-lane-ealing-w5/11434

A 1 bed on the 4th floor, 493 sq ft is £420k, no indication whether internally or externally facing.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 15,473 Posts
    • 13,788 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Found a price list. Some units have details of floor number and sq ft, others not: http://www.fraser.uk.com/new-development/residential-for-sale-in-hanger-lane-ealing-w5/11434

A 1 bed on the 4th floor, 493 sq ft is £420k, no indication whether internally or externally facing.
    If we cba, we could cross-reference the floor areas to the brochure I linked to up there, and the floorplans.

Interesting that that's only 27 flats listed, of the 269 in the block - and the two studio "suites" have already sold (Crashy will tell us that it's Fake News in a minute). £241k and £260k... Service charge on a typical 1-bed is £2,300/yr, over £3,500 on a 2-bed.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Sep 17, 11:25 PM
    • 9,434 Posts
    • 9,002 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Interesting that that's only 27 flats listed, of the 269 in the block...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Fairly typical for "new" builds - they release the plots gradually over time, with the advantages of matching a build schedule, and also avoiding having too many on the market at the same time (and thereby possibly depressing the price).

Service charge on a typical 1-bed is £2,300/yr, over £3,500 on a 2-bed.
    That's not that uncommon for properties with lifts, concierge, etc.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 12th Sep 17, 11:46 PM
    • 14,901 Posts
    • 127,294 Thanks
    zagubov
    looking at those plans there seem to be a lot of flats that face a "void" - a sort of lightwell inside the development! I have been in cheap hotels where you get this but it would be quite depressing living with a lightwell and no view.
    Got to say that would make me think I was living in one of LA's depressing tenements as in Blade Runner.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • boliston
    • By boliston 12th Sep 17, 11:46 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    boliston

That's not that uncommon for properties with lifts, concierge, etc.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Pity there are not more buildings WITHOUT lifts - I quite like going up and down stairs and they are a good way of keeping fit! One of my pet annoyances is hotels that make it difficult to use the stairs - the lifts are always right next to the reception area and to find the stairs takes some detective work.
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 12th Sep 17, 11:54 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    There is a development in the nearby old Hoover building which is much pricier, but is a sealed building with no opening windows and built in ventilation system, which would also totally put me off.
    Funnily enough I was only talking about the Hoover building the other day where I opined that converting old commercial buildings leaves a number of sealed units.

The fashion round here now is for new build larger blocks of flats on smaller footprints to have a large central 1st floor "garden" area above parking. This is fine if only 4 or 5 stories but I can see London going the way of high rises I've seen in Egypt & China where you have a small central area on a 10 or 15 storey building just to allow windows for all flats. Grim.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 15,473 Posts
    • 13,788 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Pity there are not more buildings WITHOUT lifts - I quite like going up and down stairs and they are a good way of keeping fit! One of my pet annoyances is hotels that make it difficult to use the stairs - the lifts are always right next to the reception area and to find the stairs takes some detective work.
    They will all have stairs, as well as lifts. It's simply a question of how much effort you're willing to put into finding them, and how pretty they are.

To expect a 9-storey building, such as this, to not have lifts is a bit unrealistic - and would probably fall foul of disability legislation. But two lifts for 270 flats does mean that the stairs are likely to get a fair bit of use...
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Sep 17, 7:17 AM
    • 23,968 Posts
    • 66,529 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    We currently rent in zone1, but I don't think we could afford to buy anything in zone1, so would need to move a little further out.
    I personally would not want a commute of over 1 hour, currently one of us has a commute of 5 mins, but accept we can't minimise both commutes.

I don't think there is a lot below £350K in zone 1 or 2 that's acceptable to live in i.e. I don't want to be mugged, live next door to a crack den or asked "how much" every time I walk out the door.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    My husband rented a flat Whilst working in London, all of 100 yards from the A40 in East Acton. We have a home elsewhere.

He was walking alone and set upon, simply for fun, by group of young men. One had a piece of wood and OH has the scars on his head.

There's nothing nice about living next to the A40, that far out. Stuff happens all over but that road is the most congested road and the Hanger Lane area the worst for it. It's bad enough being sat in it on a regular basis. Your lungs will be screaming for air. It's the land of HMOs and Social Housing lining the side of the road because no one with money wants to live there.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 13-09-2017 at 7:20 AM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Sep 17, 7:34 AM
    • 21,272 Posts
    • 10,211 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Thank you. I'm not going to look at these for various reasons, but have learnt a lot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,888Posts Today

7,487Users online

Martin's Twitter