Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 12th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 21,261Posts
    • 10,207Thanks
    lisyloo
    Zone 3 - wheres the catch?
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    Zone 3 - wheres the catch? 12th Sep 17 at 9:21 AM
    https://www.galliardhomes.com/

westgate house, ealing, W5, zone 3, 6 minutes from hangar lane
    In todays metro, £225K for "suite" (studio) and £350K for 1 bed apartment.

Seems very cheap for London commuter belt.
    Where's the catch?

A bit dependent on central line and will have high charges if there's gym/sauna, but can't really see a big catch.
    Seems too cheap.
    What am I missing?
Page 2
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Sep 17, 12:19 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    I suspect you'll be proven wrong on that.

Certainly wouldn't be my choice, but it will be many people's.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

Why is the OP, with years of experience of living in London, thinking these properties are cheap then? Surely you bump up the price of something in big demand?
    • cashbackproblems
    • By cashbackproblems 12th Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    cashbackproblems
    "ideally suited for first-time buyers, post graduates, house movers or investors"...Dog Groomers, bakers, candlestick makers, ex-HPC members,....anyone...please! The catch is no one wants this rubbish in a declining market.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time

Ditto!

You are buying an overpriced cheaply made 1 bed with ripoffservice charges which will only increase. Plus the location is not even that desirable, Ealing Broadway would be another matter.

I bought a 2 bed in zone 4 this year for 335k (Bromley), it is reliant on South Eastern/Thameslink but still not a bad commute (under 1 hour) for anyone working in the city/west end. My service charge and ground rent is 1.5k PA, its an old block but renovated like a new build inside.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 12th Sep 17, 12:29 PM
    • 21,261 Posts
    • 10,207 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Sorry, did I miss the link to the "nice" property??

You are perfectly entitled to your views.
    I have taken on board all the negative comments but there are still many appealing aspects which will appeal to a lot of people, for example - gym, sauna, concierge, nicely maintained areas, secure parking, secure cycle storage etc. etc.
    Obviously there's a price and obviously there are also downsides.

Sometimes they even get desperate enough to...shock horror...actually LEAVE London!
    We are not desperate. We love aspects of London and will be taking advantage of what's on offer whilst here. For example "open house" at the weekend.
    We will make our money and leave.
    Retiring at 55 after having made enough money to not need to work again is far from desperate.

Why is the OP, with years of experience of living in London, thinking these properties are cheap then?
    They are cheap for somewhere very commutable to central London. Usually studios are £400+ that close to London.
    I understand there are reasons why and the combinations of factors MAY or MAY not suit particular individuals.
    For example people like us with another home don't necessarily need lots of space. I'm not sure I care that much about the area (as long as I won't get mugged) as I'm only going to be sleeping there.
    Not trying to defend or promote it just pointing out that different things do or DON'T matter to other people.
    The "view" from my current flat doesn't matter. It's small and if I want to enjoy the view I'd go outside, so that's not an issue either.
    I came here to get educated about it and have done so.
    It's almost certainly not going to be a prospect for us, but I still think certain aspects of it are appealing and they will sell.
    I am not saying they are the best value, far from it, but are you saying Galliard don't know how to run their business?
    I'd challenge that as there's plenty of empirical evidence that they do know how to build, sell and make money.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 12-09-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Sep 17, 12:43 PM
    • 15,430 Posts
    • 13,760 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They are cheap for somewhere very commutable to central London. Usually studios are £400+ that close to London.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Woah, hold on - you don't know how much they are. All there is is a single "from £225k" figure. I'm not seeing the £350k 1-bed figure anywhere public.

There's a good choice of 1-bed flats for <£300k within a mile of Hanger Lane on Rightmove - even a £265k 62m2 2-bed. It's short lease, but for a cash buyer, that's an opportunity.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66383690.html
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 12th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 21,261 Posts
    • 10,207 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I'm not seeing the £350k 1-bed figure anywhere public
    Page 24 of todays (12/9) metro - that's for an apartment not "suite".
    Not a cash buyer, but thanks for the link.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 12,417 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Gawd, I can think of nicer commutable areas to live. I'd much rather buy this in Wanstead (zone 4) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67987460.html

Very quick into the City though, only 6 stops to Liv St.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Sep 17, 1:31 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You are perfectly entitled to your views.
    I have taken on board all the negative comments but there are still many appealing aspects which will appeal to a lot of people, for example - gym, sauna, concierge, nicely maintained areas, secure parking, secure cycle storage etc. etc.
    Obviously there's a price and obviously there are also downsides.

We are not desperate. We love aspects of London and will be taking advantage of what's on offer whilst here. For example "open house" at the weekend.
    We will make our money and leave.
    Retiring at 55 after having made enough money to not need to work again is far from desperate.

I understand there are reasons why and the combinations of factors MAY or MAY not suit particular individuals.
    For example people like us with another home don't necessarily need lots of space. I'm not sure I care that much about the area (as long as I won't get mugged) as I'm only going to be sleeping there.
    Not trying to defend or promote it just pointing out that different things do or DON'T matter to other people.
    The "view" from my current flat doesn't matter. It's small and if I want to enjoy the view I'd go outside, so that's not an issue either.
    I came here to get educated about it and have done so.
    It's almost certainly not going to be a prospect for us, but I still think certain aspects of it are appealing and they will sell.
    I am not saying they are the best value, far from it, but are you saying Galliard don't know how to run their business?
    I'd challenge that as there's plenty of empirical evidence that they do know how to build, sell and make money.

It is a rabbit hutch with trendy "extras" designed to appeal to those brainwashed into thinking they have to be seen to have access to a certain "lifestyle", the credit availability isn`t there any more hence the "competitive" pricing. The leaving London comment wasn`t about you, it was about many thousands of people waking up to the fact that it just isn`t worth it.
    • PField
    • By PField 12th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    PField
    Gawd, I can think of nicer commutable areas to live. I'd much rather buy this in Wanstead (zone 4) http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67987460.html

Very quick into the City though, only 6 stops to Liv St.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    But that one has drafty sash windows, outdated kitchen and bathroom and a garden to worry about. Where the 24 hour, concierge, gym, sauna, communal lounge, cinema and secure parking?
    Different people want different things from a small flat, especially if they already have a main house.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 12,417 Thanks
    hazyjo
    But that one has drafty sash windows, outdated kitchen and bathroom and a garden to worry about. Where the 24 hour, concierge, gym, sauna, communal lounge, cinema and secure parking?
    Different people want different things from a small flat, especially if they already have a main house.
    Originally posted by PField
    To be honest, yes! Not my cuppa at all! I much prefer the thought of an independent property than one I'm basically paying through the nose for. I'd change the decor to my own taste. I suppose it's great for someone who doesn't have many friends or works long hours and wants it all on site so they can do it alone...

Horses for courses.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • dlmcr
    • By dlmcr 12th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    dlmcr
    Astonishing that anybody would chose a new build (at least 20% overvalued) with "concierege, gym blah blah" (another 20% on top of price) in London at this of all times. London now is really peak bubble territory. If you really must pour your money into an overpriced London flat right now then these are much better in the same area:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68470775.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59815144.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68828837.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60964195.html

You could even get a freehold house a little further out!
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61253413.html
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 12th Sep 17, 2:14 PM
    • 21,261 Posts
    • 10,207 Thanks
    lisyloo
    It is a rabbit hutch with trendy "extras" designed to appeal to those brainwashed into thinking they have to be seen to have access to a certain "lifestyle", the credit availability isn`t there any more hence the "competitive" pricing. The leaving London comment wasn`t about you, it was about many thousands of people waking up to the fact that it just isn`t worth it.

I don't really care about it being a rabbit hutch (or at least it's lowest of my priorities).
    I don't think I'm brainwashed, I'm middle-aged and have owned several properties and I'm intelligent enough to work out what OUR priorities are. Separate living space is a red line for me (no studios/suites) and I don't want to look after a garden.
    If people are leaving London then that's good and should be a benefit for those who stay.
    Clearly there's an equilibrium because if property prices, congestion and career opportunities improve then people will stop leaving and that trend will stop or reverse.

BTW - I'm not interested in it, with the info I've gained on here about the area and service charges.
    I'd still prefer a central rabbit hutch to a zone 4 place with a garden. Horses for courses as they say. I believe pricing reflects the most popular preferences with access to transport links being very high and most people being willing to take a hit on size if they can.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 12-09-2017 at 2:56 PM.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Sep 17, 3:52 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 12,417 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I'm not sure I'd call Ealing (or even Zone 3) 'central'. I suppose it all depends on what side of London you need to get to.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 12th Sep 17, 4:16 PM
    • 21,261 Posts
    • 10,207 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I'm not sure I'd call Ealing (or even Zone 3) 'central'. I suppose it all depends on what side of London you need to get to.
    Originally posted by hazyjo

We currently rent in zone1, but I don't think we could afford to buy anything in zone1, so would need to move a little further out.
    I personally would not want a commute of over 1 hour, currently one of us has a commute of 5 mins, but accept we can't minimise both commutes.

I don't think there is a lot below £350K in zone 1 or 2 that's acceptable to live in i.e. I don't want to be mugged, live next door to a crack den or asked "how much" every time I walk out the door.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 12th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 21,261 Posts
    • 10,207 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I can see there is a real downer on new builds from the MSE community.
    I can accept there may be some good arguments for that.
    However aren't there ANY benefits?
    for example flats built pre-Grenfell may experience high charges in future due to changes that come in. This is a big unknown and risk and not under the control of the leaseholder.
    new builds have new wiring, radiators, boilers, which in total must have some value?

I am not saying necessarily that the entire premium charged is justified but I do think there is some value in a brand new flat compared to an older one that might need new cladding or sprinklers (which according to some MSE's on previous threads could even be a six-figure sum).
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 12,417 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I don't think there is a lot below £350K in zone 1 or 2 that's acceptable to live in i.e. I don't want to be mugged, live next door to a crack den or asked "how much" every time I walk out the door.
    Some of Ealing (and close surrounding areas) isn't particularly nice - just be careful where/if you buy...
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 9,796 Posts
    • 12,417 Thanks
    hazyjo
    I can see there is a real downer on new builds from the MSE community.
    I can accept there may be some good arguments for that.
    However aren't there ANY benefits?
    for example flats built pre-Grenfell may experience high charges in future due to changes that come in. This is a big unknown and risk and not under the control of the leaseholder.
    new builds have new wiring, radiators, boilers, which in total must have some value?

I am not saying necessarily that the entire premium charged is justified but I do think there is some value in a brand new flat compared to an older one that might need new cladding or sprinklers (which according to some MSE's on previous threads could even be a six-figure sum).
    You're missing the point though that as soon as you buy brand spanking new and move in, it's second hand. That is what you sell on. So yes you may have everything new, but it's often cheaper to buy an older property and put new things in (or when they need replacing).
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    • 9,403 Posts
    • 8,955 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    It comes down to "buyer beware", which is always, and was always the case.

Anything much beyond that is just pointless negativity and/or talking down the market.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    It comes down to "buyer beware", which is always, and was always the case.

Anything much beyond that is just pointless negativity and/or talking down the market.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia

Why shouldn`t people talk down the market, the "market" is just a bubble underpinned by low interest rates, a farce that is standing out more and more every day as people see it for what it is, especially in London?
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    The "catch" is both what it is and where it is. It is, or will be, a converted office block on an industrial estate overlooking the Hanger Lane Gyratory System.

I would strongly encourage you to go there in person - streetview, which is taken from a car, doesn't accurately portray how grim it feels as a pedestrian.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Sep 17, 6:01 PM
    • 9,403 Posts
    • 8,955 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Why shouldn`t people talk down the market...
    I can't see that it serves any useful purpose, and the predictive capability of the HPC community seems to be no better than average (probably worse).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

386Posts Today

5,019Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin