Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Woody19763
    • By Woody19763 12th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Woody19763
    KVA Capacity check for businesses
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    KVA Capacity check for businesses 12th Sep 17 at 9:12 AM
    Good morning,

I work for a company who keeps getting phone calls about a KVA capacity check for electricity meters, something to do with being fined and ofgem's requirements. I've spoken to our power supplier who say to ignore it, it's a ruse to get information from us but this company keeps calling and seem legit - anyone heard of this? Is it a 'thing'?!
Page 1
    • TheEnergyThread
    • By TheEnergyThread 12th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TheEnergyThread
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    KVA is a unit of measure, usually measured when a they perform an ASC or an SLT to see whether or not the meter has an underlying issue in registering the amount of units the meter is taking. For example a property may use 100 units but the meter may register it 103 units. Causing a difference of 3 which is abnormal due to a meter should only have a threshold hold of 2.5% and in this instance 3%. It’s a good idea to get in contact with them & get it rectified and tested just in case there is an issue.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 12th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:58 AM
    Good morning,

I work for a company who keeps getting phone calls about a KVA capacity check for electricity meters, something to do with being fined and ofgem's requirements. I've spoken to our power supplier who say to ignore it, it's a ruse to get information from us but this company keeps calling and seem legit - anyone heard of this? Is it a 'thing'?!
    Originally posted by Woody19763
    Sounds like it...

Who owns the meter???
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 12th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    Your own suppler has given you a thumbs down signal on these calls - Why not accept their word? - But if you are still worried ask your supplier by Email with an Email reply. This gives you a firm papertrail if there is a problem and it escalates

Business Energy supplies are shark infested waters, and repeated phone calls to the point of annoyance are a sure sign of a firm you would be well advised not to do business with.

Research the name and associated co's of this firm who keep calling on the web - Strong possibility it has the smell of aged fish
    Last edited by dogshome; 12-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 12th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 26,820 Posts
    • 12,996 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:09 PM
    Could it be a scam connected with Power Factor?

Without going into electrical theory, domestic and smaller businesses are billed on their consumption of kWh.

Larger businesses - usually using machinery - have to take into account the Power Factor and take measures to correct the power factor - or they can be fined. If you Google Power Factor even the simple explanation will be difficult to understand.

However it is the supply company that will tell you if you are not going to be charged for kWh, not some chancer telephoning.
    • Woody19763
    • By Woody19763 12th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Woody19763
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    Thank you for your responses. I would take our supplier at their word, unfortunately i'm being questioned by colleagues who keep being pestered by this other firm and wanted to double check. I've emailed our supplier so I have a paper trail.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

3,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin