Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 12th Sep 17, 7:30 AM
    • 1,417Posts
    • 157Thanks
    adonis10
    Contactless payment over /30
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:30 AM
    Contactless payment over /30 12th Sep 17 at 7:30 AM
    I have a contactless transaction on my credit card for 36/32.42 but was sure that the limit is 30 in a single transaction. The vendor told me my payment declined and so I used another card so have been charged on both. Can contactless be used for over 30?
Page 2
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 12th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    adonis10
    A lot of people use this argument but how many people do you know who have actually had money stolen due to contactless payments?. It doesn't happen hardly at all and when it does happen people get all their money back. If it was actually a big problem then the banks wouldn't be pushing contactless so much and agreeing to refund any fraud immediately.

I can guarantee you will not be able to find even one case of someone skimming contactless cards to steal money. Even if someone was silly enough to try this they would need to have a card reader and a merchant account to collect the money. But as soon as a few people reported the lost money they would be very easy to track down and prosecute. Also considering that it takes a few days to receive the money from a card payment they would likely be stopped before they got a penny.

So there are lots of scare stories but in reality your very unlikely to be affected it.

The real benefit of contactless is places such as the london underground where there is a high throughput of people and allowing devices such as watches and mobile phones to be used to make payment.

But when it comes to card payments then why should we have to enter a pin when it isn't needed. The pin doesn't protect the user of the card it only protects the bank and they can use it to prove you made a transaction if you question it. If there is any fraud the only party to loose out are the bank so if they say we don't need to use a pin for some transactions then i'm certainly not going to complain.
    Originally posted by takman
    Good points, well made.

I don't have the stats to back it up but I find it hard to believe that there has not been a significantly higher amount of fraudulent transactions using contactless v chip and pin. I also imagine that the banks would only release information to make the system sound positive, or manipulate the reality to make it sounds positive. But that would mean banks manipulating something for their own benefit and I cannot believe they'd ever do that.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 12th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    So there are lots of scare stories but in reality your very unlikely to be affected it.
    Originally posted by takman
    Au contraire Slackbladder, I've been affected.

The bank trapped it so, obviously their monitoring software is very good, and I wasn't financially adversely affected. The CC company wouldn't confirm how the fraudulent transaction was instigated. It was a new card and the first contactless payment card (from Tesco CC) I'd had.

The annoying thing was that I was then without the CC for 7 days whilst a new one was organised.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • takman
    • By takman 12th Sep 17, 1:58 PM
    • 2,623 Posts
    • 2,178 Thanks
    takman
    Au contraire Slackbladder, I've been affected.

The bank trapped it so, obviously their monitoring software is very good, and I wasn't financially adversely affected. The CC company wouldn't confirm how the fraudulent transaction was instigated. It was a new card and the first contactless payment card (from Tesco CC) I'd had.

The annoying thing was that I was then without the CC for 7 days whilst a new one was organised.
    Originally posted by cloud_dog
    I didn't say nobody has been affected by it so i'm not surprised someone from this vast forum has!.

But what exactly happened? Did the card get lost or did you still have the card and just received call out the blue saying there was a fraudulent contactless transaction?
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 12th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 3,169 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Just received a call from the call centre out of the blue.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 12th Sep 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    Robisere
    It's not the card that's unsafe, it's usually the account holder not taking sufficient care of it. Mine is removed from the RFID-proof wallet, used and put back immediately. I keep every receipt until the payment is taken, then shred them. And I have one arm restricted, due to mobility problems.

2 weeks ago I had to call after a young man who left his card on the counter at Superdrug.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,931Posts Today

5,733Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin