Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TriggerHappy
    • By TriggerHappy 12th Sep 17, 7:26 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TriggerHappy
    Attendance Allowance Query
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:26 AM
    Attendance Allowance Query 12th Sep 17 at 7:26 AM
    Morning everyone

In the last few weeks my mums health has declined to the point where she requires help in the morning and night to get out of bed, prepare food, use the loo, etc and my sister in law has mentioned that she might be entitled to get an attendance allowance?

My question is this, while she is now getting support in the morning while I'm at work on an evening it's just me and it's really the only reason I'm still living at home (I've been here for a few years but only to keep costs low) - would she be entitled to an allowance and would it only be for the morning element and not for the time I'm here?

Basically my mum is a very independent (I.e. stubborn and proud) lady and getting her to consider this benefit in the first place will be a huge mission and if it's declined or challenged in even the slightest way she'll stress over it and refuse to take it any further so I need to know as much as possible...

All help and advice is much appreciated
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 12th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,187 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:58 AM
    Some information on eligibility here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/before-you-claim-attendance-allowance/check-if-entitled-to-attendance-allowance/
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 23,470 Posts
    • 13,648 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    She can ask Age Uk to assist.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/attendance-allowance/

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/attendance-allowance/key-things-to-include-in-your-attendance-allowance-application/
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 12th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 1,657 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    Attendance Allowance is based on care needs - regardless of whether that individual is actually receiving support. An award then helps the individual to afford the required support.

You supplying help with her personal care needs should strengthen the claim.

It would help if her GP was aware of her current difficulties with day-to-day life, as the DWP may ask him/her for a report.

Your local CAB may be able to help.
    • TriggerHappy
    • By TriggerHappy 12th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TriggerHappy
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:16 PM
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated help and advice
    • TriggerHappy
    • By TriggerHappy 12th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TriggerHappy
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:18 PM
    Hi Alice,

Thanks for the advice. Her GP is well aware and has been around a few times in the last week checking up on her and we've had the local integrated care team on hand as well as they'll be picking up morning and noon duties shortly...

I just wasn't sure if this was a case of 'you need it but won't get it' or not...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,051Posts Today

7,324Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks

• Interesting, most people say they would champion a policy from a party they usually oppose. Yet is anyone brave eno? https://t.co/MWYGHunAqu

• RT @MSE_Deals: The MSE deals team are in the office nice and early to bring you full analysis of all the #BlackFriday deals throughout the?

• Follow Martin