Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 12th Sep 17, 5:09 AM
    • 1,257Posts
    • 17,534Thanks
    dumpling
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 12th September
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:09 AM
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 12th September 12th Sep 17 at 5:09 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    September GC - £383.00/£550
Page 1
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 12th Sep 17, 5:21 AM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 17,534 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:21 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:21 AM
    Good morning everyone

I couldn't sleep for worrying so I have got up and decided to do some baking and cooking. I soaked a gammon and some dried peas last night so that is in the instant pot hopefully making a nice soup. I will also weigh out the ingredients to make some bakestones and cheese scones ready for later on. Finally I have some elderly bananas so I will be baking some muffins with them as well. At least the family will be happy and I will be taking some of them with me to visit my best friend's daughter in hospital.

I have nearly finished the fairy doll I was knitting, she just needs her arms and wings to be sewn on so she can be given to my grand daughter when I see her next. I am not sure what my next project will be, something smaller I think.

Today I need to tidy through as Becky's mental health worker is coming over to take her swimming. Poor Becky came back from school yesterday very upset as her only friend has moved schools. I felt so sorry for her as she was really looking forward to spending some time with her. I think the family have moved away.

Right, I am off to put the kettle on as I hear movement from our room upstairs. Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Sep 17, 6:00 AM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 41,214 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:00 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:00 AM
    Morning All

Hope today is a good one dumpling.

Not sure what the weather's doing, it's still very dark out.

Did some washing last night, it's on the pulley, will do another tonight. Really must have a dust and hoover round as DS2 is arriving on Thursday for the weekend - not that he would notice some dust but should make the effort!

Dublin was good fun, the sleeping arrangements were ok, some of the young ones stayed out all night which was ok as they were coming back as we were getting ready to go out for the day - oh to be young!

Flights were both late, the return leg particularly so, didn't land until 11pm and didn't want anyone to come out at that time on a Sunday evening so got a taxi, £35! That's what you get for booking cheap Ryanair flights.

Had a lovely early night last night so I'll go swimming this morning. Hope you all have a good day. Take care. XX
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Sep 17, 6:22 AM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 38,882 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:22 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:22 AM
    Morning everyone

dumpling - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light and dry - but air cooler again, it has dried up after yesterday afternoon of sunshine and heavy downpours. Hoping to get some washing out on line, I'll check the forecast in a mo.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was all day breakfast - although not particularly healthy I grill as much of the food as possible etc, all eaten and enjoyed. Tonight we're having smoked sausage and mushroom pasta in a creme fraiche sauce, menfolk will have a small breaded chicken portion with theirs.

Yesterday work was either all or nothing - and again some complicated cases.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 12th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 25,858 Thanks
    Coxy11
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    Morning all,
    Thanks for the start dumpling xx

Haven't managed to post these last few days but wanted to send hugs to Gers and her Dmum xx

I had a birthday at the weekend and we met up with family at a craft Fayre. It was a tad windy and a bit wet but I got some lovely ceramics and a nice framed print which will go in the hallway.

Yesterday I took (shop bought) cake into work as I'd run out of time to make anything. DH got me some diamond earrings on our joint credit card(!) - lovely of him but I'm a bit worried about wearing them tbh. Sorry if that sounds ungrateful, I don't mean it to.

Tonight is year 11 Expectations evening so DS2 is cooking mac n cheese for us all. I am also hoping to tackle the ironing as it is breeding in the basket.

Have a good day all,
    Cox
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 15,502 Posts
    • 126,348 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:05 AM
    Good Morning all and bright and sunny here in the Garden of England washing machine is on, as its forecast to be nice today. I am hosting coffee morning for U3A this morning, so its going to be a busy day I think
    Hope everyone is well and <hugs> to those who are not or are just in need of one.
    Eldest DD popped in last night and we had a good long natter with copious amounts of coffee consumed :0
    Right Time to get a wriggle and the kettle on
    Have a good day chums what ever you are doing ,enjoy it if you can

Cheers

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Sep 17, 7:06 AM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 9,187 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:06 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:06 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting us off dumpling

I had an engineer out to my broken washing machine and it was as expected not worth repairing, so I’ve had to buy a new one. One thing I couldn’t live without is a washing machine.

I bought some more large plastic storage boxes that will stack nicely in the hall cupboard, and want to sort some odds and ends out today that are all things that I use but are taking up much more room than they need to.

Dinner will be shepherds pie today. I’ve got everything I need and the change in weather means that I am really into warming comfort foods now.

Other than that nothing much planned for today.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    • 5,910 Posts
    • 34,962 Thanks
    Gers
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:10 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Welcome back Camelot, glad you had a good time, though that taxi bill is a blow!

Dumpling - what a shock for Becky, I hope her MHW can help her through this.

Coxy - happy belated birthday. Wear those jewels!

This morning I've got a hair cut, then teaching session. Later on I'm going back to the nurse for another blast of cold stuff on the odd blob on my back and then, this evening, a meeting to go to!

DM is getting more proficient at texting which keeps us in touch. I've connected her phone and tablet to the patient wifi. She reported a visit from the physio yesterday so that's some progress. Now she needs to get her appetite back.

Happy Tuesday to all.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Sep 17, 7:26 AM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 62,699 Thanks
    Judi
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:26 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:26 AM
    Morning all

the men are both back at work and the house is so peaceful. Not sure what I'm doing today but I'm sure I can find something useful to do. Grump has just sent me a message, he's working on Saturday. It's been ages since he worked on a weekend.

Hester, thinking of you. Don't know why but I am. Hope your ok.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Sep 17, 7:33 AM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 14,000 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Good morning all, it is sunny here and meant to be windy later so my washing can dry outside. Yesterday was really miserable, rain on and off all day.

My family is getting used to eating later than they like since I'm working late most of the week. Last night OH cooked chicken satay for himself and DS and I had a plain piece of chicken, lots of salad. They had naan bread and I had a tiny bit.

Dumpling I am sorry that your girl is going through the mill again.

Coxy, happy belated birthday.

I should get my large bum in gear, I am starting a bit later since having to work late as we are not meant to accumulate overtime. Unfortunately trying to do the job that I do without working some unsocial hours is not possible.

Ah well onwards and upwards, or perhaps in my case it should be onwards and sideways. Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • butterfly2507
    • By butterfly2507 12th Sep 17, 7:37 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    butterfly2507
    Good morning everyone

Hugs to those who want / need some.

I've been MIA on here but there's nothing new to report. Dad is recovering well from knee surgery and I've been helping around the house as best as I can

I've also sold something on ebay again, which makes me quite happy

Have a good day x
    Oct GC 181,14 € / 200 € NSD: 25 / 31
    Nov GC 196,07 € / 200 € NSD: 17 / 30

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 19,817 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone, thanks for the start Dumpling.

Dry, bright and sunny here in EA but bbrrr, cold! I don't mind snuggling under throws etc in the evening but hate to be cold in the shower so have the heating timed to come on for just 30 mins before the alarm goes off and that warms the bathroom a treat
    Busy day today, Tilly has her annual jabs just before 10, then Pilates starts again at midday (haven't been as good as could have been doing it at home ) and then over to see Lulu this afternoon.
    Think will do veggie for supper so bean burgers and roasted veg couscous.

Belated Birthday wishes Coxy wear those diamonds my friend

Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Sep 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Yesterday evening I didn't too much other than play football and chat to my neighbour for a while on my way back. I've hurt my left arm. Pain starts in my elbow and works it's way down my arm. Made worse by the gym this morning. So I'll take it easy.

With that in mind, I've not much planned this evening. A pal is coming over to help with some DIY and should be done and dusted for GBBO.

camelot - glad you had a good time.
    coxy - was it your bday? If so, belated happy birthday
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Sep 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 16,164 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Bright morning, sunny, but cold. I have caved in and have the heating on for a couple of hours when we get up and the same before we go to bed. I hate sleeping in a warm room.

Monday clean needs doing, but not sure if I have the energy, OH fell in the garden again yesterday.......I was not happy, but I have told him he is responsible for himself, I cannot do it any more.

No idea whats for supper, might be fritatta, so some form of snadwiches at lunchtime.

I should have put the washer on last night, today looks ok but we are forecast high winds tomorrow.

I had an offer on something I have on Ebay, have said I will accept £10 more, waiting to hear. The machine went on its merry way yesterday morning, should get to its destination this morning.

Off to drink my coffee and then maybe do the cleaning.............
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 2,521 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning

Hester, thinking of you. Don't know why but I am.
    Originally posted by Judi
    I often think of Hester, I dream of sailing away, leave all the problems of my world behind, only a dream.

Coxy belated Happy Birthday

Sunny here and DH wants to go out for coffee AGAIN. A trip to Waitrose for a free cup I think, can't keep paying £5+ several times a week. I know I sound unkind, I do love him.

Hope you all have a good day.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 12th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 6,483 Posts
    • 89,717 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Nice day here with rain due later but not till evening, I have a load of dd's washing in the wm and will hang it out for a while.

Going to nip off somewhere to get some shopping after this, might do Mr T or Aldi, I like Aldi but find I cant get everything I want there so might do Mr T today.

DD is home tomorrow evening I cant wait to see her, she is feeling better from her food poisoning but still quite weak, its such a shame to be ill on holiday.

I fancy some lamb for dinner so might see if I can get some shanks, if not I will pick up a joint for roasting and do it over two nights.

Coxy happy belated Birthday, wear the earrings and be fabulous !!

Silver-oldie I have been meaning to say what a grand job you are doing with your DH, my dad suffered from dementia and I know how very much hard work it is, you seem very patient and loving, I take my hat off to you xx

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 15,288 Posts
    • 62,699 Thanks
    Judi
    OH fell in the garden again yesterday.......I was not happy, but I have told him he is responsible for himself, I cannot do it any more.
    Your his wife, a 'help mate' not his Mother. I have to remind myself of that very often.

I had a conversation with a woman i used to see regularly a few weeks ago. She was telling me her husband had several heart attacks in close succession. I compared her situation with mine (only my Grump had strokes not heart attacks) and asked her if her husband had quit smoking as he used to be quite a heavy smoker. Apparently he hadnt and she said she wasnt going to nag him about it. She explained she couldnt tell him any more than what the doctors had told him and to tell him off and to cajole him would have meant she would be treating him like a child instead of a grown man.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 12th Sep 17, 12:24 PM
    • 3,180 Posts
    • 37,849 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Afternoon all

Thanks Judi, all ok here, at work at the moment.

Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 12th Sep 17, 1:18 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 20,022 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Afternoon everyone,

Its sunny and blustery here after more heavy showers earlier ( about 5 mins after DH said its going to be fine all day )We have had an awful lot of rain this last week,the stream at the bottom of the footpath across the road was a raging torrent yesterday,and the park was a series of lakes. The new drainage in the road seems to be doing its job(fingers crossed)- I think the cottages cellars would certainly have flooded without all the road repairs.I did have to rescue a frog that had dropped into the cellar window space-well I saw it and made DH move it He took it across the road and let it go into the long grass.

I am feeling at a loose end today,normally I would be looking after DGS but he started his nursery class yesterday.DS2 met his ex and they both took him in and stayed a little while until the teacher said it was time to go,whereupon he said Noooo,and cried .He was ok in the end but didnt eat any lunch.

I have just blitzed yesterdays l.o. veg with some stock and feta cheese into soup for my lunch.Breaded fish for tea,I have got some lamb steaks out of the freezer but don't think they'll be thawed out in time,but thinking about it I'm better using them in the slow cooker tomorrow as I'm helping a friend do a post removal clean of her house.She's an old neighbour from where we lived before and I've only been back once since we moved 2 years ago,it'll be strange.

Right I suppose I'd better find something useful to do,have a good day xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Sep 17, 1:55 PM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 27,870 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Back home from wet and windy North Wales, first 3 days lovely, but rest not so. Delayed a day as forecast was for high winds and had a silly early start from site and a good journey home.

I got a head cold which OH now has, shattered as he kept me awake last night, but back in my own bed tonight and he in his

Off to check if safe to get washing dry tomorrow if so may need a lot of pegs.

Hugs and spoons everyone and belated birthday wishes for all I have missed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,235Posts Today

7,344Users online

Martin's Twitter