Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lutmans
    • By lutmans 12th Sep 17, 1:52 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lutmans
    Insurance claim rejected after complaint regarding miss-selling of PPI
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:52 AM
    Insurance claim rejected after complaint regarding miss-selling of PPI 12th Sep 17 at 1:52 AM
    A few days after my partner was diagnosed with a critical illness, I naively submitted a PPI complaint form to MBNA, to check whether she had been miss sold several credit cards. I made no reference to any particular policy in the complaint.

In response, MBNA cancelled an active PPI policy, without notice, "as part of our complaint handling process" and subsequently refused an illness claim on that policy.

The MBNA PPI complaint process did not make clear that such a complaint would result in any active policy being cancelled.

The PPI policy was cancelled after the illness was diagnosed, but before the GP issued the ‘fit note’.

Where do we stand?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Sep 17, 5:45 AM
    • 13,192 Posts
    • 13,509 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:45 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:45 AM
    What exactly did your complaint say?

Did you receive a refund on the premiums for the policy?
    • -taff
    • By -taff 12th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    • 7,348 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    -taff
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    If you complain, they check all policies you hold, and if you complain, you're saying you didn't want or need them so of course they will cancel them.
    You don't stand anywhere I'm afraid.

Unless you didn't have permission to complain on her behalf?
    • lutmans
    • By lutmans 12th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lutmans
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:23 AM
    Thanks for your response. I complain about many things but don't necessarily want them to end!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,967 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:28 AM
    A PPI complaint is requesting the PPI to be voided.

I complain about many things but don't necessarily want them to end!
    What did you expect to happen with your complaint then?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    A few days after my partner was diagnosed with a critical illness, I naively submitted a PPI complaint form to MBNA, to check whether she had been miss sold several credit cards. I made no reference to any particular policy in the complaint.]In response, MBNA cancelled an active PPI policy, without notice, "as part of our complaint handling process" and subsequently refused an illness claim on that policy.
    Originally posted by lutmans
    So you made a complaint that PPI was mis-sold to you and then attempted to actually claim on just such a PPI policy?

I'm assuming, because you don't say, that the PPI was not just cancelled, but also refunded and redressed?
    If that's the case, you really should not have attempted to subsequently claim on the policy..
    • lutmans
    • By lutmans 12th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lutmans
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    As detailed above, the ppi was not refunded
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,967 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:07 PM
    Bottom line is that by making a PPI mis-sale complaint, you are saying you didnt want the policy. So, cancellation or voiding the policy is the correct outcome from your complaint, even if the complaint was rejected.

If you wanted the policy you wouldnt make a missale complaint.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 12th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 1:19 PM
    A few days after my partner was diagnosed with a critical illness, I naively submitted a PPI complaint form to MBNA, to check whether she had been miss sold several credit cards. I made no reference to any particular policy in the complaint.

In response, MBNA cancelled an active PPI policy, without notice, "as part of our complaint handling process" and subsequently refused an illness claim on that policy.

The MBNA PPI complaint process did not make clear that such a complaint would result in any active policy being cancelled.

The PPI policy was cancelled after the illness was diagnosed, but before the GP issued the ‘fit note’.

Where do we stand?
    Originally posted by lutmans

I think you need to realise what you done here.

You complained about a product being mis-sold. That means you didn't think it was a suitable product.

Whether you were refunded or not is another issue but if your complaint was "We didn't want this PPI", then it'll be cancelled.

It turns out you needed this PPI, and now it is gone. Do not complain about something you might actually need, especially if you don't even know if it was mis-sold, or if it'll actually be useful in future.
    • lutmans
    • By lutmans 12th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lutmans
    Thank you for the critical responses.

Sadly, I hadn't realised that a PPI policy would be cancelled if I made a complaint, as there was no reference to this practice on the MBNA website.

My partner was diagnosed with the illness before the PPI policy was cancelled, therefore I shall complain to the FOS in due course.
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 12th Sep 17, 10:04 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    Edi81
    Sorry to hear about your partners illness but you can't have your cake and eat it.

By making the complaint MBNA are doing the right thing by cancelling it straightaway. What if your partner hadn't been disgnoses? What if MBNA had said "you weren't mis-sold", what would you have done then? Kept paying for PPI.

I really can't see the FOS Upholding your complaint but please let us know how you get on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

286Posts Today

3,566Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin