Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AOneVS
    • By AOneVS 11th Sep 17, 9:43 PM
    • 82Posts
    • 51Thanks
    AOneVS
    Letting agent threatening legal action
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:43 PM
    Letting agent threatening legal action 11th Sep 17 at 9:43 PM
    Hi, got a bit of a complicated one. My mum was renting a flat which started off all well and good. 4 months in, and for reasons out of her control, she had to end the tenancy agreement early.

The agent and landlord agreed, but with conditions:
    You will be liable for the landlords set up costs for a new tenant, and all rent and bills until such time as a new tenant moves in.
    My mum agreed as it was the only way to start looking for a new rental. No figure was mentioned.

A new tenant was quickly found and they also found my mum a new property to rent (charging extortionate fees for their services, including referencing again).

She then received an invoice for the sum of £600 for the landlords fees for the previous property:

Setup fee - £354
    Inventory fee - £150
    DPS transfer fee - £36
    Right to rent checks - £60

My mum chose to ignore this (I had suggested she query the charges). They have now threatened legal action in small claims court if she doesn't pay in 48 hours.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with this?

Thanks in advance!
Page 2
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,752 Thanks
    Guest101
    Someone seems to be looking for an argument

I've taken what has been said on here regarding the fees and will make sure my mum pays them. It's better and cheaper than the alternative. I speak from experience of having successfully defended myself in the small claims court.
    Originally posted by AOneVS

Then you would know there is no defence here.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th Sep 17, 11:16 AM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 2,816 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Someone seems to be looking for an argument

I've taken what has been said on here regarding the fees and will make sure my mum pays them. It's better and cheaper than the alternative. I speak from experience of having successfully defended myself in the small claims court.
    Originally posted by AOneVS

"If a man stopped me in the street and demanded of me my watch, I should refuse to give it to him. If he threatened to take it by force, I feel I should, though not a fighting man, do my best to protect it. If, on the other hand, he should assert his intention of trying to obtain it by means of an action in any court of law, I should take it out of my pocket and hand it to him, and think I had got off cheaply."

Jerome K Jerome
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 12-09-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,173Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin