Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arceye
    • By arceye 11th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    arceye
    Roof replacement on leasehold flat
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:35 PM
    Roof replacement on leasehold flat 11th Sep 17 at 9:35 PM
    Can anyone offer any good advice, my flat is 13 years old and six months ago property management company informed that the roof which has been leaking in to some top floor flat (40+ flats, approx 11 top floor flats), management company have a surveyor report and they estimate approx £170,000 for new roof shared between all flats in development.
    Management company have said they cannot pursue building company of development and NHBC only paid £9k for repairs to defects not defective roof.
    Management company charging leaseholders approx £3500 over 2 years for roof to be replaced in 2019 (summer) taking approx £900 ever 6 months but no section 20 consultation is to take place until end of 2018, management company claiming this money can be recovered under lease contract under "the six schedule - maintenance expenses". Is this their right and can this be enforced without section 20 consultation as this is "Major Works"?
    Any Advice would be grateful.
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 5,078 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:09 PM
    It sounds like the management company are building up a sinking fund.

You need to read the lease (6th schedule??) to see if that's allowed.

Even if it's not allowed by the lease, instead of paying £900 every 6 months, you'd have to eventually pay the lump sum of about £3.5k instead.

It probably makes sense to do the section 20 consultation shortly before the work is done. If it's done now, the roof may get worse and/or repair costs might rise before the repairs are done.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    • 9,798 Posts
    • 12,420 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:43 AM
    A whole new roof after 13 years?! Is it a flat roof? Am guessing it must be with that number of flats below. Am surprised your solicitor didn't point out its lifespan and future costs (or maybe they did).

Does it have a lift too? If I were you, even once these works have taken place, I'd make sure I saved into a separate account regularly as this is likely to be an expensive flat...
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 12th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    Can anyone offer any good advice, my flat is 13 years old and six months ago property management company informed that the roof which has been leaking in to some top floor flat (40+ flats, approx 11 top floor flats), management company have a surveyor report and they estimate approx £170,000 for new roof shared between all flats in development.
    Management company have said they cannot pursue building company of development and NHBC only paid £9k for repairs to defects not defective roof.
    Management company charging leaseholders approx £3500 over 2 years for roof to be replaced in 2019 (summer) taking approx £900 ever 6 months but no section 20 consultation is to take place until end of 2018, management cmeompany claiming this money can be recovered under lease contract under "the six schedule - maintenance expenses". Is this their right and can this be enforced without section 20 consultation as this is "Major Works"?
    Any Advice would be grateful.
    Originally posted by arceye
    If the roof has failed after just 13 years I assume it is a latent defect and not that the roof was constructed using very short term materials.

Accordingly the freeholder/management company could well still have a claim against the builder. I wonder if this is a new build development and the freeholder and management company has a very close association with the original builder which is why they are reluctant to press the claim? With 40 flats I would have thought it was worth your while clubbing together to get some legal advice on Latent Defects.
    Last edited by teneighty; 12-09-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 12th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:10 AM
    A whole new roof after 13 years?! Is it a flat roof? Am guessing it must be with that number of flats below. Am surprised your solicitor didn't point out its lifespan and future costs (or maybe they did).

Does it have a lift too? If I were you, even once these works have taken place, I'd make sure I saved into a separate account regularly as this is likely to be an expensive flat...
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Surely that would be the surveyor's job rather than the conveyancer. How would the solicitor know?
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 12th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 9,007 Posts
    • 59,272 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    new build or refurbishment of existing older property to create a re development?
    If it was a redevelopment then the roof could be substantially older than the 13 years since your flat was commissioned.

We have a similar issue with a property....roof was refurbished as part of a development just under 10 years ago and is now failing ....defects policy is currently deciding if it will replace roof or just again attempt a patch in on the failing areas.

Either way if it is a flat roof that is in place in your property then a sink fund will be a good thing to establish going forward as the life span isnt huge on these types of roof coverings.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 154 out 132 in ...£14.92 spend
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,891Posts Today

9,328Users online

Martin's Twitter