Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ringostarr14
    • By Ringostarr14 11th Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Ringostarr14
    Am I wasting my time with PPI claim?
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    Am I wasting my time with PPI claim? 11th Sep 17 at 9:20 PM
    Hello,

First post, so please be gentle.........

I could use some advice on whether I am wasting my time pursuing a PPI claim. The continued encouragment of 'millions unclaimed' has got me wondering............

I am 95% sure that I have not had a policy. My CC balances were always cleared at the end of a month. If the policy was obvious on the application I would have declined it, and I am sure I would notice any charges on the statement.

The credit cards potentially affected date between late 90's and late 2000's. I no longer have any of them, and may or may not have account details on file. They were with egg and NatWest.

So...........
    Would the policy be so well hidden that I would not have noticed it?

If I don't have the account details, will I be able to successfully get this info from the providers or are my records likely to have been deleted by now?

Given that it is unlikely that I have a policy, what do I loose by engaging a CMC to do the initial digging, and if I am wrong and there is a policy, then pursuing it myself?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Sep 17, 9:26 PM
    • 89,547 Posts
    • 55,005 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:26 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:26 PM
    My CC balances were always cleared at the end of a month.
    That is important. If you had PPI, it was charged on the borrowed balance outside of the interest free period. By paying in full, you never borrowed beyond that. So, PPI would not be levied.

Would the policy be so well hidden that I would not have noticed it?
    it would be a transaction on the statement.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 12th Sep 17, 6:42 AM
    • 7,352 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    -taff
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:42 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:42 AM
    Just to point out to anyone readin this, CMCs do not 'dig' for anything. They ask YOU the information, then they send a complaint in exactly the same way to exactly the same people that YOU would, except they charge upwards of 30% for it.

Once again...they have NO special powers, they do not investigate anything, they use the same complaints process you would.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Sep 17, 10:58 AM
    • 19,316 Posts
    • 9,427 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:58 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:58 AM
    Given that it is unlikely that I have a policy, what do I loose by engaging a CMC to do the initial digging, and if I am wrong and there is a policy, then pursuing it myself?
    Originally posted by Ringostarr14
    It's doubtful that the CMCs offering free "PPI checks" would do any more than simply approach the lenders which you, as the potential complainant, would identify.

If any institution confirms PPI, you'll be bombarded with spam calls demanding that you sign a Letter Of Authority so that they can proceed on your behalf.

As the poster above said, they have no special powers and can do no more "digging" than you can yourself with a simple letter, call or E-Mail enquiry.

Why involve any third party at all?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,676Posts Today

6,647Users online

Martin's Twitter