Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stephanieLR
    • By stephanieLR 11th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stephanieLR
    Self-employment and tax
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    Self-employment and tax 11th Sep 17 at 9:16 PM
    Hi,

I'll soon be starting to sell books on a self employed basis by earning comission.

Do I need to register as self employed and fill out tax returns if it is highly unlikely I will earn over the £11500 tax allowance?

Thank you for any help.
Page 1
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 11th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 18,783 Posts
    • 19,085 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    Yes. See the first post in this thread for useful information.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5159122
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Wookey
    • By Wookey 12th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 804 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Wookey
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:41 AM
    Hi,

I'll soon be starting to sell books on a self employed basis by earning comission.

Do I need to register as self employed and fill out tax returns if it is highly unlikely I will earn over the £11500 tax allowance?

Thank you for any help.
    Originally posted by stephanieLR
    Yes, any other earnings you have during the year from any other employment will all have to be counted into that personal allowance, that may not be the issue as of now but it may occur in the future. You will also probably have SE NI contributions to pay from any earnings.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

596Posts Today

4,852Users online

Martin's Twitter