Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UKTelecom
    • By UKTelecom 11th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 14Thanks
    UKTelecom
    Application: Self employed, what do they ask for re your income?
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    Application: Self employed, what do they ask for re your income? 11th Sep 17 at 9:00 PM
    I am hoping to get one of these fantastic 30+ month 0% credit cards. I am about to move into a new home and I feel one of these would ease the pain somewhat buying washing machines fridge freezers etc. Don't worry I will hold off applying for a new credit card before completing the purchase I should first say!

I am self employed (a sole trader) - do they ask for just what you earned in the last year? (As in what was on my last submitted SA302 form).

Or is it like a mortgage application where they average the last 2/3 years? It would be better for me if they did just take the past year - for the years before, earnings were more modest.

Or do they not really bother with the above - and just ask what your income is? As in you do not even specify that you are self employed etc.

Apologies for the basic questions! My credit score otherwise is great - I have just one other credit card that I have had for about 5 years and always pay it off each month. I cannot remember what they asked on the application!
Page 1
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 11th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 29,536 Posts
    • 17,353 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:28 PM
    Apologies for the basic questions! My credit score otherwise is great - I have just one other credit card that I have had for about 5 years and always pay it off each month. I cannot remember what they asked on the application!
    Originally posted by UKTelecom
    Maybe starting a dummy online application with a couple of lenders (from different stables) would jog your memory?

But, and this bit is very important, you will need to enter your income EXACTLY as you did for the (very recent) mortgage application...as it will be compared with what the mortgage provider reported to the Fraud Prevention Agencies. In other words, a claimed income of £30K now and £20K a month ago - for the same job - will ring some alarm bells. Worst case scenario would be a CIFAS marker!
    • UKTelecom
    • By UKTelecom 11th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    UKTelecom
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    Maybe starting a dummy online application with a couple of lenders (from different stables) would jog your memory?

But, and this bit is very important, you will need to enter your income EXACTLY as you did for the (very recent) mortgage application...as it will be compared with what the mortgage provider reported to the Fraud Prevention Agencies. In other words, a claimed income of £30K now and £20K a month ago - for the same job - will ring some alarm bells. Worst case scenario would be a CIFAS marker!
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Cheers for that - yes can confirm I was not intending to commit fraud.

Thats why I am asking the question really to avoid overstating my income by using the last year's income versus averaging the last 3.

I think you are right though I can just do a couple of dummy applications fair point.
    • cj1974cr
    • By cj1974cr 4th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    cj1974cr
    • 4th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    Credit Card Application
    • 4th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    The short answer is donít lie about your income;

I work for a Bank so hereís the answer you might be looking ; what does your SA302 you have as your drawn income ; you can also include other income such as dividends .

the FCA and PRA want lenders to steps to verify the declared income, and they will use a combination of data set; credit reference data; and previous declared income on other application for Credit plus your bank account credit turnover; to ensure you arenít making it up

If the lender asked for partner/spousal income ; disclosed this ; itís to offset affordability... household bills etc

They may also ask for proof of your income.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,099Posts Today

8,635Users online

Martin's Twitter