Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 11th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 14Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    Renting - Pest in flat
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    Renting - Pest in flat 11th Sep 17 at 8:43 PM
    There is a pest in my flat in the kitchen wall units and damaging my edible items in the kitchen, stored in wall units.

I have informed the letting agent but they always put the responsibility on me to ask the local council and say they are happy to reimburse.

I have written to the local council but no one contacts me back, I have tried calling but can't connect to anyone after 15 minutes on hold (tried three times on same day and on three consecutive days).

Can I claim reasonable damages from landlord due to rat in the kitchen (if I have informed the letting agent at all times)

Letting agent says they can't contact the council because they are not resident in the city - which is true, their office is in a different county
Page 1
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 11th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 4,015 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    Rat or mouse? Either is difficult to get rid of; when I had a mouse/mice the landlord did try to get rid of it but to no avail. I made sure that anything edible was sealed in containers.
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 11th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:04 PM
    get some rat killer, put it under kitchen units, anywhere you can see droppings.

there is almost certainly more than one
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    get some rat killer, put it under kitchen units, anywhere you can see droppings.

there is almost certainly more than one
    Originally posted by bobbymotors
    I'd avoid rat poison in the house - if whatever it is dies inside you can have smell and fly problems.

It is more likely to be a mouse than a rat, so I'd start with some traps and see what happens. It should only cost you a few quid to get some.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 41,916 Posts
    • 48,509 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    If mice:

http://www.wilko.com/pest-control/mouse-trap/invt/0211406

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/rent-advanced-mouse-trap-twin

If rats:

http://www.diy.com/departments/rentokil-advanced-rat-trap-2306g/189548_BQ.prd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rentokil-Advanced-Humane-Rat-Trap-Twin-Pack-Traps-Easy-to-Set-FREE-P-P-/142268889404?hash=item211fe2f93c:g:r4UAAOSw44BYlz6 A
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 11th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    • 4,847 Posts
    • 6,802 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 10:49 PM
    I managed to get rid of mice very successfully using plastic traps. I read up on it, put some fluorescent powder down to find out their exit points, put the traps against the wall there and just emptied them. I actually killed 12 mice. I also was obsessively clean, wiping everything down and put all food in sealed plastic containers.

I believe I had the problem after an alleyway that was full of fly tipped items was cleared. However I didn't find out how they were getting in the building although lot of people told me I'd never get rid of the infestation if I didn't. Perhaps I was lucky.

I didn't contact the LL as he never did repairs so I knew I'd be waiting forever for any help from him and I needed them gone yesterday. Once I put the traps down it only took about 10 days.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Sep 17, 6:30 AM
    • 708 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:30 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:30 AM
    There is a pest in my flat in the kitchen wall units and damaging my edible items in the kitchen, stored in wall units.
    Originally posted by harshitguptaiitr
    Its quite simple, remove the edible items.

• comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 12th Sep 17, 7:06 AM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:06 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:06 AM
    Put all you edible items in storage jars. If there is nothing for them to eat they will move on.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    You've gotta fix that rat, that's what you've gotta do, you've gotta fix that rat.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Sep 17, 12:10 PM
    • 6,034 Posts
    • 7,783 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Whether the responsibility is yours or your landlord's depends on what caused the problem. If the mice or rats were already there when you moved in then it is the landlord's responsibility, in which case I recommend that you *write* to the landlord, at the address in your lease or the serving of notices, requesting that they take urgent actin to resolve the matter. State the dates on which you previously reported it to the agency.

If, however, the mice or rats were not there when you moved in and the issue has only arisen since then, then it is more likely that dealing with them is your responsibility.

As others have said, clean very thoroughly, use containers you can seal to store food items and put down traps. (peanut butter is a good 'bait'.)

If you can work out how they are getting in, then you can ask your landlord about sealing any access points but mice are able to get through very small spaces.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/pests_and_vermin_infestations_in_rented_homes gives you further information.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 12th Sep 17, 1:01 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Rat or mouse? Either is difficult to get rid of; when I had a mouse/mice the landlord did try to get rid of it but to no avail. I made sure that anything edible was sealed in containers.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    Or flatmate......
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Sep 17, 2:24 PM
    • 41,916 Posts
    • 48,509 Thanks
    G_M
    Or flatmate......
    Originally posted by parkrunner
    Must admit that's what I first thought when I saw the Title....

Renting - Pest in flat
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 12th Sep 17, 10:54 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Council website

Pest control section

Do they have recommended contractors that you contact directly?

This was the case for us with a wasp nest.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 4,048 Thanks
    martindow
    As you have an assurance that the LL will reimburse costs (hopefully in writing?) I would not bother with the DIY suggestions in the thread. Get a contractor in, send a copy of the receipt to the LL and take it off your next rent payment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,235Posts Today

7,344Users online

Martin's Twitter