Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kiely27
    • By kiely27 11th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 33Thanks
    kiely27
    How long and how many viewings did it take to sell?
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    How long and how many viewings did it take to sell? 11th Sep 17 at 8:43 PM
    Just for a bit of fun...

For those who have sold post Brexit vote;

How long has it taken to sell?

How many viewings?

What part of the country are you?

We are 6 weeks in, 14 viewings, 2 second viewings, no offers. Hertfordshire.
Page 2
    • Time2go
    • By Time2go 12th Sep 17, 4:45 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Time2go
    Two weeks over two years 36 viewings

Three offers two sales fell through in first weeek since June on third and hopefully last
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 12th Sep 17, 5:41 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Tiners
    Scottish Highlands. 2 1/2 years on market. Changed agent, dropped price. 10 viewings no offers. gave up in disgust now reluctant landlords letting the property.
    Originally posted by ProDave

Don't be so harsh and self critical!!

Yes you might well have been stupid, greedy and clearly deluded with your asking price... but please don't be disgusted with yourself.
    Last edited by Tiners; 12-09-2017 at 5:50 PM.
    • C.C.L.
    • By C.C.L. 12th Sep 17, 6:12 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    C.C.L.
    August 2016 one view sold for full asking price within 4 hours of going on the market
    August 2017 another one we've just accepted an offer today been on the market for 4 weeks with 5 views. West Yorkshire.
    • Pumpkim
    • By Pumpkim 12th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Pumpkim
    West Yorkshire
    4 viewings and one offer after 1 week. Fell through 4 weeks later.
    Back on market, 3 viewings and two offers after 2 weeks. Fingers crossed no hiccups with this one!
    • Bhanson
    • By Bhanson 12th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Bhanson
    East Yorkshire. On the market three days, five viewings. Full asking price offer received. Due to complete later this month.

Bought for £95k in 2012, selling for £120k.
    • 3mph
    • By 3mph 12th Sep 17, 11:07 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    3mph
    With our first buyer (we sold within two days of going to market) I think it was a case of sheer luck that the right person had been waiting for one like ours to come up. Sadly that sale fell through, and that's why it is taking much longer this time round
    Originally posted by Natbag
    Ours was a classic case of the right buyer at the right time. Our buyer had been looking for 2 years having already sold. It just so happened that our house, location & garden exactly matched what they wanted.
    • Car1980
    • By Car1980 13th Sep 17, 3:23 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Car1980
    18 months, 20 viewings.
    Nw England
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Sep 17, 5:56 AM
    • 11,045 Posts
    • 60,889 Thanks
    kittie
    Ours was a classic case of the right buyer at the right time. Our buyer had been looking for 2 years having already sold. It just so happened that our house, location & garden exactly matched what they wanted.
    Originally posted by 3mph
    I hope it does not take me that long to find my last forever home. I have the cash, know the area and am waiting for new sales on RM. I am being hard headed, no interim ok properties, it has to be just right, my last time
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 15th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 3,125 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    Surrey - Sold within 11 days after 4 viewings but EA had several more lined up and held in reserve if the sale fell through.

Of course, you only need one viewing, but if you want lots of viewings in a short period of time plus a reasonable chance of selling quickly then you need to be in the right part of the country or you need to sell via auction.

The "guide" price at auction is much lower than it would be in a normal sale but everyone has to wait until auction day to buy it, or at least show an interest, so the world and his dog will come out to view it: dreamers, tourists and people looking to turn a quick profit have only a short window to view so it will seem relentless and will be totally meaningless.

Tourists are a pain but dreamers can actually turn you a tidy profit: Where we used to live a property with planning permission to rip it down and build flats was auctioned three times in succession. Each time it sold for around £400k, each time the buyer paid their deposit (10%), each time they failed to raise the cash and forfeited £40k. The owners got £120k less expenses and still had the property (sold properly the 4th time around IIRC, but for significantly less).

SP

p.s. I'm not actually suggesting anyone sell at auction unless totally desperate for money or the house is a real pig in a poke and they are hoping a buyer doesn't notice before paying up.
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • Moriath
    • By Moriath 15th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Moriath
    House was on the market for about a week and a half.

We wanted a quick sale so dropped the price a bit and sold for 295k 5k below the asking when they viewed it. This was 7 weeks ago. Hope to exchange next week.

Berkshire btw .

Didnt mind dropping a little i bought it for 83k in 1999. So its all profit
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 17th Sep 17, 9:29 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 876 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    York
    36 hours, 4 viewings, full asking price.
    Gobsmacked!
    Officially in a clique of idiots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

674Posts Today

6,113Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin