Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cooket3
    • By Cooket3 11th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Cooket3
    New flashing on dormer near party wall
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:31 PM
    New flashing on dormer near party wall 11th Sep 17 at 8:31 PM
    Hi, long story short I am building a dormer, gone through all proper channels of architect drawings, planning permission this wasn't needed and building regs, all been passed and approved. My neighbour new about it but is now kicking up a huge fuss and clutching at straws being awkward. No party wall agreement is needed and confirmed by a surveyor. My neighbours made threats of blocking off a my rain water and sewage pipes to a shared private drainage septic tank that happens to be in his property. Now it has came to light that the new flashing required to keep everything watertight needs to go on top of the tiles on top of the party wall. This wall is only 4 inches thick. My builder says that he can put flashing on to only 2inch on the joining tile but won't look great.

Can my builder flash on the full 4 inch tile above the party wall or just the 2? Also what about the threat about the shared sewerage and rain water septic tank?

Thank you
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 23,743 Posts
    • 66,078 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    Party Wall Surveyors are there for people like you. Your neighbour can't deny work to the party wall but it can be agreed.

Any way you serve notice and he tries to be difficult, you will get what you need. He either appoints his own surveyor or you appoint one for him. They are the ones that make the agreements and awards ultimately, not him.

Or you go ahead and full flash and see how he reacts. I'm not sure that looking good is the objective with people like that, but the party wall is a party wall in its entirity, it isn't your half and his half when you're into the brick. 2 inches or 4 inches is by the by - you're on the party wall.

Worth calling a party wall surveyor and establishing if something like this even falls under the act.

Your access to the sewerage should be in your deeds by means of an easement. That isn't a party wall thing. You'd have to go after him if he blocked it off. Surely the rain water goes into a soakaway?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Cooket3
    • By Cooket3 13th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Cooket3
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 5:37 PM
    Thanks. To avoid this I've moved my dormer extension in even further now and it's well away from the party wall 8 inch I been told flashing on all my tiles now and can be done properly

The rain water doesn't go onto a soak away, just the drain then septic tank, where I believe it "runs off" or filters etc into the ground
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,364Posts Today

7,847Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin