Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deviljames68
    • By deviljames68 11th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    deviljames68
    Failed Brit Gas Credit Check - But It's 980 out of 999
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    Failed Brit Gas Credit Check - But It's 980 out of 999 11th Sep 17 at 8:15 PM
    My girlfriend and I moved into our flat about 4 months ago (first time buyers) and it has prepay meters. We moved from Spark to OVO as I was told by some w***er from moneyexpert dot com that they would change me over to a credit meter. Turns out they don't so I then swapped to British Gas as they said they would. Phoned up to do it today and I've been told I'm not eligible. The woman on the phone said that my credit score probably wasn't good enough but I've just checked and it's 980 out of 999. Does anybody know if anything else could have made me ineligible? I've been told that I can't try again for another 60 days and don't want to have to wait that length of time to be turned down again.

cheers,
Page 1
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 11th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 3,550 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    This tells you all about it

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity

In April 2016, Npower became the last of the big six suppliers to remove a fee for switching from a prepayment meter to a billed meter. That means if you're with it, British Gas, EDF, E.on, Scottish Power or SSE, you can move without being charged.

Some smaller providers such as First Utility also let you get a credit meter for free, though a number of them don't (see below), so always check first.
    This is what it says about changing to a credit meter free of charge - the big 6!

Will they allow you to switch?

To move off prepay you'll usually need to have paid any outstanding debt on your energy account and be credit-scored, so they can see if there's a risk you won't repay.
    Being credit scored by a company is not the same as them looking at your credit score you can see the Credit Referencing Agencies - only you see that score.

Look at the information on all your Credit Reports - there are 3 to check but all for free - make sure everything is accurate, accounts, addresses, payments etc etc

To get them free use MSE Credit Club, Clearscore & Noddle.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 41,344 Posts
    • 16,998 Thanks
    macman
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:33 AM
    Your credit score is meaningless, the lenders don't even see it. It's just a marketing tool. What they are interested in is your credit history-that's where the problem will be.
    Did you get yourself put on the electoral roll when you moved? If not, do it ASAP.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • SpotlandRules
    • By SpotlandRules 12th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    SpotlandRules
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:39 AM
    Move over to Utilita prepay, get one of their smart meters put in. Leave it until the database is updated and then you have credit meters.
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 12th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,421 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    davethorp
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:12 AM
    Switch to EDF. They didn't credit check when I had my prepayment meters removed in 2009 and according to the guide linked earlier in the thread they still don't

• dogshome
    • By dogshome 12th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    Agree with above, EDF have a relaxed attitude to swapping PAYGO meters for Credit meters.

There are many posts on this site of BG refusing to change PAYGO meters.
    1) This could be that they have a super cautious attitude to affording customers credit
    2) PAYGO metering earns more money for a supplier than a Credit meter

Take your pick and guess which one my money is on
    • deviljames68
    • By deviljames68 29th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    deviljames68
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:22 PM
    thanks for the replies. We're in the process of switching to EDF, fingers crossed all goes ok

cheers,
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 29th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    There are many posts on this site of BG refusing to change PAYGO meters.
    1) This could be that they have a super cautious attitude to affording customers credit
    Originally posted by dogshome
    Definately This.

2) PAYGO metering earns more money for a supplier than a Credit meter
    Originally posted by dogshome
    Not a chance they also cost more to supply. So much so if the customer rings up once a year they are probably losing on the deal. Definaetly if it requires a visit.

Believe me the suppliers wish PAYGO metering did not exist.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

386Posts Today

5,019Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin