Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LuaLua
    • By LuaLua 11th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    LuaLua
    New Oven=Hardwired, Current Oven=Plug-in
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    New Oven=Hardwired, Current Oven=Plug-in 11th Sep 17 at 7:59 PM
    Hi,
    I have found a lovely new built-in oven which comes ready to be hardwired to a 15 amp fused switch, however currently the built-in oven I have plugs into a 13 amp double plug socket behind it, and there is a fuse switch for it above the worktop.

Can I replace the double plug socket with a unit containing a fused switch for the new oven and also a single socket to plug in the cooker hood (which is currently plugged in there along with the current oven?)

Our main fuse box is 32A, and the new oven comes with a cable attached.

Whilst I am fairly confident it is possible in principal, I wasn't sure which would be the best replacement switch/socket to buy to fit the amps I've stated above.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • jrrowleyws
    • By jrrowleyws 11th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 593 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    jrrowleyws
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    Probably not. You'll likely need a dedicated cooker circuit from your consumer unit. Call an electrician or you may have melted cables and a fire on your hands.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 11th Sep 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,258 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:59 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:59 PM
    In theory, yes, but I'd suggest not to - likely a new circuit required if there isn't a dedicated one already. Might be better to look at a different oven!
    • LuaLua
    • By LuaLua 11th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LuaLua
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    Hi,
    Thanks for your replies.
    A bit more info..
    There is definitely a dedicated cooker circuit, the fuse box clearly labels a switch just for the cooker which is 32A, and there is a cooker switch above the worktop, which controls the plug below.

Can someone point me in right direction as to which new cooker outlet I need to buy. It needs to be an outlet for the cooker to be hardwired to at 15amp, plus a single socket for a 13amp plug, ideally together in the same unit/fascia.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 12th Sep 17, 12:27 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:27 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 12:27 AM
    Do you have an electric hob ?

If you're using gas for the hob, then there is no reason why the oven can't be hard wired in and a 16A MCB fitted to the fuse board (consumer unit). You won't get a 15A fused isolator switch (not for a domestic installation), so it would have to be a dedicated circuit from the consumer unit.

Ideally, the extractor hood should be on a fused spur off the ring main with a maximum of a 3A fuse.

It would be worth getting a qualified electrician in to look at what you've got and advice appropriately before you buy the new oven - Download a copy of the manual so that he doesn't have to play guessing games when trying to work out the power demands.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 12th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:11 AM
    I'm not an electrician.

Firstly, I'd make sure that the cooker circuit has only the cooker on it and doesn't connect to anything else. You can then replace the fused box and double sockets for a single cooker hood with socket (they're all at 45A). Then replace the fuse in the MCB for a 16A or 20A
    • macman
    • By macman 12th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:11 AM
    What is the rating of the oven (in watts)? That will determine the cabling and fusing required.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 12th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 10:10 AM
    This one or: -
    This one or: -
    This one.
    • LuaLua
    • By LuaLua 13th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LuaLua
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 1:03 PM
    Thanks for all your replies. I have taken the sensible option, a qualified electrician has been contacted and will be round later to give a quote.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,737Posts Today

9,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GabbyLogan: @MartinSLewis you are just brilliant. Love the format, great pairing with Angelica ????

• Hi folks. Thanks for watching.am shattered. Hope you enjoyed the show. Must admit can't remember any of it right no? https://t.co/zPn8xwVKqv

• Anthony here (Martin's tweet-double), signing off now. The next voice you hear will be Martin's. Thanks all and goodnight. #MartinLewis

• Follow Martin