Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • izoomzoom
    • By izoomzoom 11th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,418Posts
    • 1,980Thanks
    izoomzoom
    Debt collection letter for 15 year old child
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:21 PM
    Debt collection letter for 15 year old child 11th Sep 17 at 7:21 PM
    My child got up to some dodgy dealings on paypal and there were chargebacks .... but now debt collection company has started sending letters ....

What do we do?

He has a very part time job (newspaper round), so could probably pay a small amount each month.

Can the debt collection company come after us his parents?

Really don't know what to do ....
    LBM Nov 08 CC debt 6450.

As at Jul 2010: £ 4280 (PO 2087, Barc 890, HSBC 1303)
    As at Jul 2011: £ 3180 (PO 300. Barc 2780)
    As at Dec 2012 £ 4460 (PO 2600, Barc 1760, HSBC 100)
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 11,896 Posts
    • 11,396 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    Hi,

Whose PayPal account did they use ?

And whose card was registered to it ?

Can't of been theirs at 15 ?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • izoomzoom
    • By izoomzoom 11th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 1,980 Thanks
    izoomzoom
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:03 PM
    It was my child's paypal account, and i think his bank account was linked to it.

I understand that he shouldn't have had a paypal account at 15, but he did ...
    LBM Nov 08 CC debt 6450.

As at Jul 2010: £ 4280 (PO 2087, Barc 890, HSBC 1303)
    As at Jul 2011: £ 3180 (PO 300. Barc 2780)
    As at Dec 2012 £ 4460 (PO 2600, Barc 1760, HSBC 100)
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 11,896 Posts
    • 11,396 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    If you are under 18, it is a criminal offence for anyone to send you material inviting you to borrow money or obtain goods or services on credit or hire purchase.

However, if you are over 14 but under 18, you can enter into a credit or hire purchase agreement if an adult acts as your guarantor.

You can borrow money at any age, but access to loans may be limited because a lender will not usually be able to take a young person to court if they break the terms of a loan.

This is because you cannot usually be legally held to a contract you make when you are under 18.

A simple letter to the debt collector stating he is under 18 (include proof) should put this to bed.

A stern talking too about adult responsibility to him wouldn't go a miss either.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 11-09-2017 at 8:17 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • venison
    • By venison 11th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    venison
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:33 PM
    Could it be that the child told some porkies? It does happen trust me, if so did he commit fraud?

Just saying.
    Doomed I say we're all doomed.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 12th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    Could it be that the child told some porkies? It does happen trust me, if so did he commit fraud?

Just saying.
    Originally posted by venison
    Even if that is the case, the financial institutions and authorities are reluctant to take action against someone of that age. We are going through something similar with my OH's son (Card fraud at the age of 14) and it looks like no action will be taken.

I cannot agree with that approach as it sends out the wrong message about facing the consequences of your actions. In my opinion it may increase the risk of further offending as they have learnt that, even when caught, there are no consequences.
    • beebrook
    • By beebrook 13th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    beebrook
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:28 PM
    My understanding is that you can't sign for any credit agreement until you're 18 years of age. No overdraft, no mobile phone contract, nothing. You're not allowed to be held to any contract you sign full stop.

If he's lied about his age, then that's why the DCA are chasing him. They're just following protocol. Proving he's under that age (probably going to be a pain in the !!!!) will settle it.

However, if he's been able to fraudulently use parents card (or any other) details to sign off for credit then the parent/guardians are liable for the debt I believe.
    Debt to date: £4,863 - 99.86% left to go
    Debt upon joining (Sep'2017): £4,870 - Payday + Personal loans, Aqua credit cards & Nationwide Overdraft
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

1,830Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin