Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 11th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 208Posts
    • 50Thanks
    n1guy
    Any tips on being successful in getting a house to rent?
    • 11th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    Any tips on being successful in getting a house to rent? 11th Sep 17 at 7:07 PM
    After some advice here guys, recently been told we have to move out as the landlord is selling, been to 3 open views and been unsuccessful in them all.

To be honest, this is all new to us, we've been renting nearly 20 years, our longest tenancy was 10 years, back then there was no competition, you phoned up the estate agent, went to view the house and you got it, things have changed big time.

Our last viewing, for example, was at 5pm, we turned up at 4.50 thinking we'd be early, there was already 6 other couples waiting to view, god knows hows many turned up in that hour, speaking to the estate agent at a previous viewing he said he had 25 couples down to visit.

There is also hardly anything to rent, you get roughly 1 property added per week within a 20 mile radius that makes it practical for work and schools, so you've less properties and more people wanting to rent them. How the hell do we win at this? We're looking long term rentals, have glowing references due to never being as much as late on a months rent, in fact we always pay a day or 2 early to keep the landlords sweet, any tips much appreciated.
Page 1
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:26 PM
    There is also hardly anything to rent, you get roughly 1 property added per week within a 20 mile radius that makes it practical for work and schools, so you've less properties and more people wanting to rent them. How the hell do we win at this? We're looking long term rentals, have glowing references due to never being as much as late on a months rent, in fact we always pay a day or 2 early to keep the landlords sweet, any tips much appreciated.
    Originally posted by n1guy
    Perhaps you need to look harder? Are houses being advertised where you are not looking, facebook ect?

• Bvv
    • By Bvv 11th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Bvv
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    Is there a chance of renting a property directly through a landlord rather than through an agency? I know many people don't like looking for places on Gumtree (and do watch out for scams), but that's how I've found my last few places to rent in a competitive market. In my experience landlords seem to base their choice as much on facts as on how a potential tenant comes across when meeting them. So if you come across as nice/trustworthy/easy going people, that can count for a lot.

Alternatively, it sounds like you might have to offer more money than what places are advertised for in order to beat the competition?
    • fishpond
    • By fishpond 11th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    fishpond
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:47 PM
    After some advice here guys, recently been told we have to move out as the landlord is selling, been to 3 open views and been unsuccessful in them all.

To be honest, this is all new to us, we've been renting nearly 20 years, our longest tenancy was 10 years, back then there was no competition, you phoned up the estate agent, went to view the house and you got it, things have changed big time.

Our last viewing, for example, was at 5pm, we turned up at 4.50 thinking we'd be early, there was already 6 other couples waiting to view, god knows hows many turned up in that hour, speaking to the estate agent at a previous viewing he said he had 25 couples down to visit.

Whereabouts in the country are you based?
    I am a LandLord, so there!
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 11th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    n1guy
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    Whereabouts in the country are you based?
    Originally posted by fishpond
    Northern Ireland
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 11th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    n1guy
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    Perhaps you need to look harder? Are houses being advertised where you are not looking, facebook ect?
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    I've already been checking Facebook and Gumtree. I thought they would be more popular to be honest but it's pretty much dead. Adverts for people looking somewhere to rent. I put one on myself never got any replies.
    • lynz68
    • By lynz68 11th Sep 17, 11:50 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    lynz68
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:50 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:50 PM
    It's usually not that hard I just checked www.propertynews.com and there are 940 properties to rent in Belfast alone. Now obviously I have no idea where you are looking to rent or the type of property you are looking for. Be a bit more open minded about the type of property and the location be prepared to compromise.
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 12th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    n1guy
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:33 AM
    It's usually not that hard I just checked www.propertynews.com and there are 940 properties to rent in Belfast alone. Now obviously I have no idea where you are looking to rent or the type of property you are looking for. Be a bit more open minded about the type of property and the location be prepared to compromise.
    Originally posted by lynz68
    Propertypal.com is what I'm using it searches all the local estate agents.

No there are houses not many but yes there are houses, the issue is more being successful in getting said house, it's the competition that's the issue, what are these folk doing that I'm not, what have they got that I don't? We do get the princely sum of £18.50 pw in housing benefit, could that be the issue?
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 12th Sep 17, 6:37 AM
    • 3,766 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:37 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 6:37 AM
    Propertypal.com is what I'm using it searches all the local estate agents.

No there are houses not many but yes there are houses, the issue is more being successful in getting said house, it's the competition that's the issue, what are these folk doing that I'm not, what have they got that I don't? We do get the princely sum of £18.50 pw in housing benefit, could that be the issue?
    Some LL don't let to people with Housing benefit for insurance and mortgage reasons as they do not allow
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 12th Sep 17, 6:40 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    n1guy
    Some LL don't let to people with Housing benefit for insurance and mortgage reasons as they do not allow
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Hmm interesting. Perhaps I should remove that and forget about HB, For all we get its not really worth it.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 12th Sep 17, 7:03 AM
    • 3,766 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Hmm interesting. Perhaps I should remove that and forget about HB, For all we get its not really worth it.

Also personal preference may play a part as well, so you maybe negatively discriminated against. If there are 20 people and your the only on HB, you will be at the back of the queue
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 12th Sep 17, 7:09 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    n1guy
    Also personal preference may play a part as well, so you maybe negatively discriminated against. If there are 20 people and your the only on HB, you will be at the back of the queue
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Well we have a viewing today and one on Thursday, if both fall though I will redo my forms minus HB and see how that goes.
    • paddypaws101
    • By paddypaws101 13th Sep 17, 4:52 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 2,449 Thanks
    paddypaws101
    Are you both working? Does your combined income meet the criteria to pass credit checks? If so, I would omit to mention the HB as presumably you are able to pay the rent in full your selves each month and then bank the HB.
    The problem with HB comes when tenants have no other means of paying the rent when due and LL has to wait for your HB payments to come through. As yours is just a 'top up' it should not be an issue.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Sep 17, 5:23 PM
    • 21,148 Posts
    • 10,134 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Maybe you're not doing anything wrong, but if there are 25 couples down to see every property then with average luck you're going to have to visit 25 properties !

I think you may need to be quick.
    We went to see our current flat and we knew there were people going in after us.
    It wasn't anything fantastic but it was the right money and adequate so we called back and said yes straightaway as we knew if we took a couple of days to think about it that someone else would get it.
    I'd prefer not to be pressured but if you have a good idea of what you want and a good idea of whether they are asking the correct rent then I'd suggest being prepared to act quickly (if you're sure).
    • Eliza
    • By Eliza 13th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    Eliza
    Sometimes you have to be a bit 'creative' too! I rang for an appointment on the viewing day a few days hence but then said I happened to be passing today and could I just pop in as I was in the area for work. (In fact I had skyved off for the afternoon and wasn't passing within 20 miles!) The house was in the process of being redecorated so they said yes if I didn't mind the mess. We agreed the deal there and then.

I did feel a bit guilty about the people who had booked for the viewing day and for the landlord who had to ring them all and cancel them but hey ho!

I've been here for 17 yrs now! Great for the landlord and great for me!
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 16th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    n1guy
    Thought I would update this guy. I have had a bit of luck and as in the past, it came down to who you know.

I phoned a previous landlord to get a reference and by chance, he was moving out of his current house and offered it to me straight away to rent for long term. The only issue is it's in the back of beyond. It's only about 2 miles away from where we currently live but really is in a rural location, your only neighbours would be cows. I'm not sure how i feel about it, it's a fantastic house but I've never lived in the country, the Mrs was brought up in the country so she's fine, I was brought up in a large town although at the min we live in a small rural village and I love it but having no life near me sounds a bit scary.

Its not ideal but we are having zero luck with estate agents even though we have immaculate references. You put your name forward but you never get anywhere, I really don't know what they're looking.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 47,158 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Given you have to move out of your current property and have limited options thus far, it would seem a bit of a no brainer to accept this property and see how things go. It doesn't sound that far from your current property, how far is it from other amenities? Do you both drive? Can you manage with taxis for a nigh out? Is there any public transport that serves near that property? What does your partner think? I know you said she's fine as she's lived in the country but has she been able to add some pros and cons?
    On the plus side, no noisey neighbours, or parking issues to deal with.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• n1guy
    • By n1guy 18th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    n1guy
    Given you have to move out of your current property and have limited options thus far, it would seem a bit of a no brainer to accept this property and see how things go. It doesn't sound that far from your current property, how far is it from other amenities? Do you both drive? Can you manage with taxis for a nigh out? Is there any public transport that serves near that property? What does your partner think? I know you said she's fine as she's lived in the country but has she been able to add some pros and cons?
    On the plus side, no noisey neighbours, or parking issues to deal with.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I don't drive, its not even on a main road with public transport, its on a little country road/lane which is about 2 miles off the main road. There is a bus stop at the end of the road though which is something. At the moment I either get the bus to work or get a lift from a colleague who passes through.

But not even that there is silly things like broadband speed of 1mb-2mb my kids would hate it as neither Netflix or youtube would work, no mobile coverage etc, But the house itself is perfect for us.
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 18th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    dancing_star
    I don't drive, its not even on a main road with public transport, its on a little country road/lane which is about 2 miles off the main road. There is a bus stop at the end of the road though which is something. At the moment I either get the bus to work or get a lift from a colleague who passes through.
    Get a bike.

But not even that there is silly things like broadband speed of 1mb-2mb my kids would hate it as neither Netflix or youtube would work, no mobile coverage etc,
    Diddums. What's the Netflix speed if they live under a park bench?
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 18th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Slithery
    Diddums. What's the Netflix speed if they live under a park bench?
    Originally posted by dancing_star
    In an area with good reception, more than 50x better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,746Posts Today

8,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin