Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Parisian
    • By Parisian 11th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 387Posts
    • 1,856Thanks
    Parisian
    St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell, UB1 UB2
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell, UB1 UB2 11th Sep 17 at 6:58 PM
    Hii everybody,

Has anyone here purchased an off-plan property at St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell?

I reserved a 1 bed flat in December 2016, and upon exchanging was given the date of April 30th for completion.

There has now been a long delay, with little information from the developer Catalyst. There has been no formal written information from Catalyst, however I have been speaking to the selling agent and my solicitor and there appears to be an issue with drainage, ground rent fee's (it doubles every 20 years) and service charge finalisation.

The main issue appears to be the drainage - they are connected to the Ealing Hospital/ West London NHS Trust drainage next door and I have been told that they have not secured full legal authority to do so yet. If they do not secure this, then I am assuming other work may need to be done.

Has anyone else purchased here, too? I thought it would be good for us to come together as I am sure there are quite a few as concerned as I am. Please respond here, or register and respond if you are finding this on a google search.

Page 1
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 12th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Lysimache
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    Afraid I can't help as I'm not a buyer there. Out of curiosity, how aware are buyers that there's a secure forensic unit next to the building? Do the estate agents mention that at all?
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 12th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 2,690 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    Afraid I can't help as I'm not a buyer there. Out of curiosity, how aware are buyers that there's a secure forensic unit next to the building? Do the estate agents mention that at all?
    Originally posted by Lysimache
    What does it matter? One can only assume they do their forensiccy stuff inside their own building.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 3,732 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    Ealing hospital has an address in Southall. So how can this development possibly be in Hanwell? It must be in Southall. Have they charged more because Hanwell is a better address than Southall?
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 17th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Lysimache
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    Historically, it was Hanwell. The closest train station is Hanwell, not Ealing Broadway/Common. The Hanwell Asylum is what the development is being built on.
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 17th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    Historically, it was Hanwell. The closest train station is Hanwell, not Ealing Broadway/Common. The Hanwell Asylum is what the development is being built on.
    It may well have been but currently the river Brent acts as the boundary, W7 postcode on one side and UB1 on the other. St Bernard's Gate is in UB1.
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 17th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Lysimache
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    "Hanwell is a town in the London Borough of Ealing"
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 3,732 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    And Southall.
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 17th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 324 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    • 17th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    Absolutely, as are Southall, Greenford etc. However, the Ealing Hospital and St Bernard's site are in Southall as they have a UB postcode.

There is a "beat the bounds" event every year which circumnavigates the old Hanwell parish boundary, the St Bernard's site is outside of that. http://www.mazefind.co.uk/cgi-bin/cms/ohra.pl?content_id=1226580660

As an aside, in my last flat I discovered one of the old Hanwell parish boundary stones in the undergrowth in front of my block.
    • Parisian
    • By Parisian 23rd Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    Parisian
    It was definitely advertised as Hanwell and the selling agent also said it was in Hanwell, but when I came to exchanging and got the documents through from the solicitor the address then miraculously had Southall in it. I'm not from the area so didn't really realise this!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

59Posts Today

3,492Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin