Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Parisian
    • By Parisian 11th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 390Posts
    • 1,856Thanks
    Parisian
    St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell, UB1 UB2
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell, UB1 UB2 11th Sep 17 at 6:58 PM
    Hii everybody,

Has anyone here purchased an off-plan property at St Bernard's Gate, Hanwell?

I reserved a 1 bed flat in December 2016, and upon exchanging was given the date of April 30th for completion.

There has now been a long delay, with little information from the developer Catalyst. There has been no formal written information from Catalyst, however I have been speaking to the selling agent and my solicitor and there appears to be an issue with drainage, ground rent fee's (it doubles every 20 years) and service charge finalisation.

The main issue appears to be the drainage - they are connected to the Ealing Hospital/ West London NHS Trust drainage next door and I have been told that they have not secured full legal authority to do so yet. If they do not secure this, then I am assuming other work may need to be done.

Has anyone else purchased here, too? I thought it would be good for us to come together as I am sure there are quite a few as concerned as I am. Please respond here, or register and respond if you are finding this on a google search.

Page 1
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 12th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Lysimache
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    Afraid I can't help as I'm not a buyer there. Out of curiosity, how aware are buyers that there's a secure forensic unit next to the building? Do the estate agents mention that at all?
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 12th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 4:55 PM
    Afraid I can't help as I'm not a buyer there. Out of curiosity, how aware are buyers that there's a secure forensic unit next to the building? Do the estate agents mention that at all?
    Originally posted by Lysimache
    What does it matter? One can only assume they do their forensiccy stuff inside their own building.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 7:07 PM
    Ealing hospital has an address in Southall. So how can this development possibly be in Hanwell? It must be in Southall. Have they charged more because Hanwell is a better address than Southall?
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 17th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Lysimache
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:18 PM
    Historically, it was Hanwell. The closest train station is Hanwell, not Ealing Broadway/Common. The Hanwell Asylum is what the development is being built on.
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 17th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    Historically, it was Hanwell. The closest train station is Hanwell, not Ealing Broadway/Common. The Hanwell Asylum is what the development is being built on.
    It may well have been but currently the river Brent acts as the boundary, W7 postcode on one side and UB1 on the other. St Bernard's Gate is in UB1.
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 17th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Lysimache
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    "Hanwell is a town in the London Borough of Ealing"
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 17th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    And Southall.
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 17th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    • 17th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    • 17th Sep 17, 6:24 PM
    Absolutely, as are Southall, Greenford etc. However, the Ealing Hospital and St Bernard's site are in Southall as they have a UB postcode.

There is a "beat the bounds" event every year which circumnavigates the old Hanwell parish boundary, the St Bernard's site is outside of that. http://www.mazefind.co.uk/cgi-bin/cms/ohra.pl?content_id=1226580660

As an aside, in my last flat I discovered one of the old Hanwell parish boundary stones in the undergrowth in front of my block.
    • Parisian
    • By Parisian 23rd Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    Parisian
    It was definitely advertised as Hanwell and the selling agent also said it was in Hanwell, but when I came to exchanging and got the documents through from the solicitor the address then miraculously had Southall in it. I'm not from the area so didn't really realise this!
    • saa1234
    • By saa1234 25th Sep 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    saa1234
    I'm in the same position as you! Have been given limited information so just playing a waiting game at the moment.
    • Westlondongirl
    • By Westlondongirl 11th Oct 17, 10:03 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Westlondongirl
    Buyer at St. Bernard's Gate
    Hey Parisian, my husband and I have purchased a 2 bed flat at St. Bernard's Gatel. We are in the same situation as you, and totally at our wits' end. We were thinking the same as you - if all of us buyers can come together and start putting pressure on Catalyst, then we might be able to get some results. Let's keep this thread fresh, so that anyone searching for anything related to St. Bernard's Gate, can find this thread and connect with us.
    • Westlondongirl
    • By Westlondongirl 11th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Westlondongirl
    Hi Saa, as of now, 3 of us have been able to connect. Let's see if we can connect with more buyers, then we can arrange a meeting and start talking about next steps.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Oct 17, 10:11 AM
    • 6,112 Posts
    • 5,857 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Not sure what more incentive you think the developers need than the prospect of getting your money at completion!
    • CMTHH
    • By CMTHH 11th Oct 17, 2:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CMTHH
    Exchanged 2 Bed
    Hullo all,

Exactly the same position - exchanged in March 2017.

Phoned Chris Holder at Catalyst to-day and was subsequently emailed this:

ear Cain,

Following an extensive review of the current situation at St Bernard’s Gate and your own current circumstances, the Catalyst senior management team have provided the following by way of an update:

“We are writing to make clear why Catalyst has not been able to legally complete the sale of your plot at St Bernard’s Gate and what is being done to expedite the soonest completion date.

A delay in the ratification of a legal agreement around drainage connection for St Bernard’s Gate through an adjoining privately owned site prevents us from giving a clear title declaration to your lender and is the only point holding up completion.

You will be given statutory notice to complete when this legal hurdle is cleared. We anticipate this will happen fairly soon and are unable to provide a definitive date at this point because the delay lies with other parties – therefore outside of Catalyst's control.

In the meantime, we fully recognise and understand the immense strain this puts on you, especially around your present living arrangements and mortgage offer life span. We remain under contract with you and are committed to completing as quickly as possible under the signed terms of contract.

Please contact our Sales Executives or Area Manager via the normal channels and they will answer your queries, we are making every effort to conclude this matter and will provide you with the most up-to-date information when we have it.

Kind regards,

Sales & Marketing Director”

There will be an update communication provided to your solicitor in addition. In the meantime a conclusion to the legal drainage delay and a hard completion date is being sought most urgently.

Kind regards,

Chris Holder
    Area Sales Manager | 0208 832 3212 | 07966489917

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have asked Catalyst to provide full details of the drainage connection issue at each stage of the development - from inception to to-day and also details of why this issue has arisen in the first place and the steps you have taken to rectify this.

Let's see what they come back with...
    • FTB01
    • By FTB01 12th Oct 17, 4:05 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FTB01
    Hi,

I have also purchased a flat in the St Bernard's Gate development (phase 1) and I'm in a similar situation, with no completion date in the horizon.

Totally agree that we should unite forces and contact together Catalyst in order to find a solution or remedy.

Please, let me know how to contact you privately.
    • CMTHH
    • By CMTHH 12th Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CMTHH
    Morning all,

I have created a private Facebook group for those of us who have exchanged and are awaiting completion dates - if you'd like to join please PM me your email address and we'll add you - cain@blackwolfcigarclub.com

Also a good way to get to know your new neighbours!

Pip pip,

Cain
    Last edited by CMTHH; 12-10-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add details
    • BR83
    • By BR83 12th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BR83
    Hi all - so yesterday I thought I'd google "St Bernards hanwell delays" and was pleasantly surprised to find this forum - I too have been waiting a long time for an update, having sold my house (had to move out this month to allow for the buyer to move in without extending their rent another 6 months) I'm now crashing on friends and family sofas until I can complete on this property and it's getting really frustrating. I live nearby at the moment and driveby at least twice a week - actually i find it very hard to believe that the drainage is the only issue. The road into the site is still not complete and there is build material all over the place - looking into the flats some don't look complete internally so I think we're not being told something here.....In any case, would be great to meet some new neighbours, I'll be in Connolly when it's finally complete. I too was surprised that the postcode and address is actually in Southall not Hanwell, and the building name is Pemberton not Connolly....but what's in a name I guess....
    • CMTHH
    • By CMTHH 13th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CMTHH
    Facebook Group
    Hullo! We have a fb group for those of us who have exchanged - currently 3 in the group - PM me your email and I'll add you
    • Parisian
    • By Parisian 21st Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    Parisian
    Apologies, I was not receiving notifications for this thread so did not see the replies! So good to meet others in the same situation. CMTHH I will email you now!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

770Posts Today

5,811Users online

Martin's Twitter