Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 11th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Margot123
    Sale of House owned by two people who don't get along
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    Sale of House owned by two people who don't get along 11th Sep 17 at 6:39 PM
    What happens when two people who don't get along, inherit a house and then sell it? Who gets the money? Is it held by the solicitor and then divided equally (or whatever is stipulated in the will), with funds going into respective banks? Or does it go into a joint account?
Page 1
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 11th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 16,949 Posts
    • 25,852 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    The executor(s) or administrator are responsible for selling the property and releasing the funds to the individuals
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 11th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    The executor(s) or administrator are responsible for selling the property and releasing the funds to the individuals
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    Not if they inherit the house. It's then their house.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    • 28,221 Posts
    • 71,789 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:52 PM
    What happens when two people who don't get along, inherit a house and then sell it?

Who gets the money?

Is it held by the solicitor and then divided equally (or whatever is stipulated in the will), with funds going into respective banks? Or does it go into a joint account?
    Originally posted by Margot123
    Do you mean that they have inherited the house, changed the ownership to their names and now want to sell the house? If they don't get on, the solicitor could deal with the money and send each person their share.

If the inheritance is recent and the estate is still being dealt with, the executors could sell the property and share the money between the two beneficiaries.

No need for a joint account.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 11th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:58 PM
    Do you mean that they have inherited the house, changed the ownership to their names and now want to sell the house? If they don't get on, the solicitor could deal with the money and send each person their share.

If the inheritance is recent and the estate is still being dealt with, the executors could sell the property and share the money between the two beneficiaries.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Of course they could arrange that, but they would be responsible for fees etc arising. The estate/executor would not be in a position to pay for the sale. Assuming that what they have inherited is actually "The house" rather than a share of the residual from selling it.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 28,221 Posts
    • 71,789 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 9:31 PM
    Of course they could arrange that, but they would be responsible for fees etc arising. The estate/executor would not be in a position to pay for the sale. Assuming that what they have inherited is actually "The house" rather than a share of the residual from selling it.
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    All fees and charges would normally be paid first before the money is distributed to the beneficiaries.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 12th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:18 PM
    So, in these circumstances, the solicitor can divide the sum equally between the beneficiaries? Meaning no risk of the other 'running away' with all the money?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Sep 17, 5:21 PM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,752 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:21 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:21 PM
    So, in these circumstances, the solicitor can divide the sum equally between the beneficiaries? Meaning no risk of the other 'running away' with all the money?

Can you elaboarate on what has happened, or is this just hypothetical?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 37,661 Posts
    • 33,973 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    • 12th Sep 17, 5:30 PM
    If whoever is instructing the solicitor instructs them to divide the money equally and pay it into separate accounts, then that is what the solicitor will / should do.

If only one of them is able to instruct the solicitor, then the risks of 'running away' increase.

If you tell us the actual situation, we'd be better placed to advise.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Sep 17, 3:40 PM
    • 16,646 Posts
    • 99,413 Thanks
    maman
    What happens when two people who don't get along, inherit a house and then sell it? Who gets the money? Is it held by the solicitor and then divided equally (or whatever is stipulated in the will), with funds going into respective banks? Or does it go into a joint account?

If you mean that the will is all settled and now the two people own the house jointly and want to sell then it's like any house sale. It would be like a couple selling up because they'd split up and when house is sold minus estate agent fees etc then what's left would be given to each of you separately.

If you've just heard from a solicitor/Executor that you've jointly inherited a house then you could ask them to dispose of it for you. The money raised (minus fees) comes to you in the same way. I think a solicitor would do this for you (while clocking up fees) but it would be a big ask of an Executor who'd just taken on the role voluntarily/as a favour to the deceased.

Potential problems could arise if one (or both) of the 'people who don't get on' is the Executor.

However, as others have said: Is this all hypothetical or have you any actual facts?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Sep 17, 8:49 AM
    • 15,048 Posts
    • 37,689 Thanks
    elsien
    If you look at the OPs other threads, it does not appear to be hypothetical.

OP, you might find it more useful if you keep all the questions together in one thread. With random bits of information dotted round the site the advice you get may not be relevant otherwise.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 14th Sep 17, 8:58 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Margot123
    If you look at the OPs other threads, it does not appear to be hypothetical.

OP, you might find it more useful if you keep all the questions together in one thread. With random bits of information dotted round the site the advice you get may not be relevant otherwise.
    Originally posted by elsien
    True, this is not hypothetical, and from my other threads, you can see what a terrible situation I am in.
    I am just trying to seek alternative views by starting additional threads as I am finding one thread can be dominated by a particular post and consequently led by it.
    • maman
    • By maman 14th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 16,646 Posts
    • 99,413 Thanks
    maman
    True, this is not hypothetical, and from my other threads, you can see what a terrible situation I am in.
    I am just trying to seek alternative views by starting additional threads as I am finding one thread can be dominated by a particular post and consequently led by it.

I've had a quick look at the other threads you've started and you seem to have been going round in circles for over a month.

I do understand that you wanted a range of opinions but starting a thread that lacks the background information just elicits hypothetical answers. They can't really help you because they don't take the actual circumstances into account so posters are giving general answers or making a stab in the dark.

I really would recommend that you see a solicitor and ask what your options are.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 14th Sep 17, 12:45 PM
    • 15,177 Posts
    • 20,633 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Same as any other couple without kids who split up and sell a house...

My ex and I bought 50/50, so when it was sold, our solcitor was given the details of both our bank accounts and the money after costs was then split equally.

A very simple process.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

266Posts Today

1,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin