Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 11th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    • 638Posts
    • 686Thanks
    michele-p
    0 WOW
    Anyone hired a car in Norway?
    • 11th Sep 17, 6:26 PM
    0 WOW
    Anyone hired a car in Norway? 11th Sep 17 at 6:26 PM
    We hired a car for a road trip in Norway from Hertz. We've been back 3 weeks today, and still no had a statement for the road tolls. It's automatic in Norway, they charge you after you get home. At the moment we have no idea how much we owe! As you just drive through any toll areas, often without realising.

Has anyone had this before?
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 11th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    I hired a car in Norway last year. When I collected the car they gave me the option of paying the tolls at the end of the hire as you are doing, or paying them a set sum per day for an Autopass. When I explained the places we knew we'd take the car, they said it would be much cheaper to get the Autopass. I can't remember the exact amount (something like £14 a day?) but going in and out of Bergen to and from our hotel every day would have cost the same as the daily charge and anything beyond that was effectively "free". I think we paid about £70 for five days and we covered about 800km. I know that paying the tolls would be more expensive than that per km.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 11th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    • 11th Sep 17, 11:00 PM
    That's a great help thanks, I was hoping it would be under the £100 mark. On the drive into Oslo on the last day we say a sign for £10 then another for £3 just 5 minutes later. I only really remember 1 or 2 other toll signs on other days.

I was just suprised they haven't billed us yet!
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 12th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 8:40 AM
    They aren't all signed. As I understand it, there are cameras all along the main routes and there are special rates for going in and out of cities. We stayed in Bergen and left the city every day and came back in, which would have been expensive on a pay-per-trip basis.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 12th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 638 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 12th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    Wow, it could get pricey then! Let's hope they forget to bill us, we did a road trip from Oslo to bergen and back!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,877Posts Today

8,414Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin